Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ending the distance in a year! advice please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ending the distance in a year! advice please :)

My SO is planning to move here next summer, because this is his last year of college. I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips.. such as how much money to save (we are planning on getting an apartment together) and anything else anyone has! thank you
    <3
    sigpic

Depends where you are and all that, but research how much a place in your area will be to rent per month, save that amount of money twice (covers your first month rent and damage deposit/bond). If utilities aren't likely to be included in rent look up how much each one will cost to be connected and save that too. Ask one of your friends how much it costs them to feed themselves for a month and put double that aside, because on your first shop you'll need to get staple foods that most people already have, plus other ingredience.
    You might also need furniture, kitchen goods, linen and the like.
    Last edited by Zephii; September 4, 2010, 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Ahh, that's so exciting! I don't really have any tips, I just wanted to congratulate you

Comment

I wrote a blog post about this a few weeks ago. This list might help you:

https://members.lovingfromadistance....r-the-Big-Move

I'm guessing this is the sort of tips you were looking for. That's why I compiled my own list - couldn't find one anywhere!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Start planning for the housing arrangements but also start getting emotionally and mentally ready for all the changes that will come with this. Best wishes!

Comment

thank you everyone for all your advice! Silviar that list was great! thanks so much for sharing that with me
            it's a huge step and we need to be completely prepared and ready for everything, but i'm so excited for all the changes to come!
            <3
            sigpic

Comment

We're in the same boat. I have around a year of school left then we plan to close the distance. My credits in school will transfer to a university in Texas (whoop whoop!) so our plan is for me to move there, establish residency and work and enjoy life together until I start school again. Lots of details to work out but we're on the right track!

Comment

Working...
              X