Domestic worries... Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domestic worries... Advice?

My girlfriend and I probably won't be able to move in together for at least another year and a half...but I sometimes worry that things will feel different when we finally close the distance.
    I definitely want to start a life with her, she's my other half, but I'm just not sure what to expect.

Any folks who have closed the distance who can offer any advice or tips?

I haven't closed the distance yet, but when my boyfriend came for a visit, it felt different. I was scared that we were breaking up. EVERYTHING bothered me about him. It really seemed like the end, but it isn't and we're more in love than ever before. How? I realized that love ebbs and flows. You may not love every little thing about the person at every little moment, but if you can get back to that place of love then you have something really special. My advice to you is this: don't put too much pressure on your relationship right away. There will be times of stress, but if you keep working and don't give up, you can get back to that good place again. Give each other space and time to adjust. It is an adjustment for BOTH of you, no matter who is moving where. The fear and worry will continue to be there, but don't let that stress make you question your love for one another.

Comment

My tip: get settled right away how to share household duties, and how to spend your money. If you can do those two things, and still have sex on a regular basis, you are pretty much settled.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I agree with DC, make sure you talk about money and chores before you close the distance. It's one of those things you will be grateful that you talked about beforehand.

Also, don't expect every day to be like a day in a visit, because that is not going to happen. There will be good days, there will be bad days and there will be boring days, but at least you two are together Try to go on dates or simply just make time for each other.

Make sure you appreciate another and tell each other that, because after not being together for so long, you do get used to being together easily.

Share your plans, which is something pretty obvious, but not everyone does it. If you don't know what your SO is going to be doing throughout the week, you will not be able to schedule any time together or any activities.

Whoever moves, make sure you talk to your family a lot. Since I don't know how far away you are, I can simply tell you what it feels for me, and I do get homesick from time to time, but when I call my mom or twin on Skype and we talk or they show me something in their apartment, it makes me feel like I am still part of their life.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Snow's post is excellent, a lot of great stuff to take to heart! From living with my previous boyfriend for 3 years, I can especially underline the household duties bit. Knowing where you both stand in terms of money and chores and how you want to handle them takes away TONS of stress. It's not a fun topic, but you will really be so grateful when you find agreements that work for you both.

~
          It'll take a lot more than words and guns
          A whole lot more than riches and muscle
          The hands of the many must join as one
          And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Working...
          X