This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really Need Help, Things are Tough...

So my girlfriend and I are having a huge problem right now. She has no form of ID whatsoever, her parents thought they could hold onto things but apparently not. She lives in America, New Mexico specifically, and I really don't know what to do. I'm Canadian, so our system is different, but is there any way at all she can get ID again. She has no passport and we need one if we ever want to close the distance...

Is she an illegal immigrant? Because otherwise if she just doesn't have or have lost her papers she should be able to order new ones.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

She is an american citizen. She has no ID, no SSN, and literally no other form of ID. How would she go about ordering that?

Comment

You can't just order a new ID here in the US. She needs to get a copy of her birth certificate and find ways to get a copy of her SSN card. Then, she has to go to the DMV and make sure she has everything she needs in order to get a new ID/Driver's license. Proof of address, proof of identity (birth certificate and SSN card). I don't know how it is in NM, but in NJ you need 6 "points" of ID.

SSN card: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/3401...y-number-card?

ID/Driver's License: https://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/replac...s-license.aspx or https://www.dmv.org/nm-new-mexico/id-cards.php

Birth Certificate: https://nmhealth.org/about/erd/bvrhs/vrp/birth/

Also, any bank statements with her name and address on them, ATM/Debit Cards, Credit Cards, Credit card statements, and any utility bills and tax forms. All of these need to have her name and address on them. I know in NJ, they'll take your report card as a form of ID if you're still in high school and even your school ID if it has your picture on it.

Not to be rude, but I found all of this on Google myself.
        Last edited by whatruckus; January 30, 2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Her parents lost her birth certificate. Idk how one gets a hold of an SSN card once it's lost.
          And not to be rude, but I'm Canadian, and our Google servers work differently, preventing me from getting answers about things in America as easily.

Comment

I gave you all the links she would need, including the one for the birth certificate. How come she didn't search for this herself, if it is all her information? There are ways for her to get all of these back, but it's going to take a while, and like I said, I gave you all the links with the information she would need in them.

Comment

I don't know, because she doesn't really know where to start, just as I don't know where to start. Why else would I come to a forum full of people in Long Distance Relationships to ask for help? I don't particularly understand why this is so jarring. But nonetheless, thank you for giving me something. At a glance none of these recovery methods seem possible when they require so much ID she doesn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamrezi View Post
                I don't know, because she doesn't really know where to start, just as I don't know where to start. Why else would I come to a forum full of people in Long Distance Relationships to ask for help? I don't particularly understand why this is so jarring. But nonetheless, thank you for giving me something. At a glance none of these recovery methods seem possible when they require so much ID she doesn't have.
                All the links, as I said, have all the information she needs to go about trying to get her forms of ID back. The easiest one to get would be the Birth Certificate, and then she can go from there. The website says all she would need to do is fill out the application and send it in, or send a letter with the information they specify they'd need (which has nothing to do with other forms of ID, just her date of birth, place of birth, full name, and her parents' names). Her parents should've known how to obtain copies of all these things.

Also, she could even go to City Hall and ask to get a copy of her birth certificate, if she still lives in the same town she was born in. I know that I could do that here in NJ. We had to do that for my mom, so she could get an ID. My dad had to go to City Hall in NYC to get a copy of my mom's birth certificate.
                Last edited by whatruckus; January 30, 2015, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I ordered my own birth certifificate once, I believe it was from the muncipality I was born in. As I remember, I needed it to get my first passport.

If she gathers all she has of id papers and cards, I am sure a public office can help her with the rest.
                  I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                  - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

See the overall issue here, is in New Mexico, immigration laws are fucking TIGHT. She actually has her Birth Certificate. But in order to get an SSN card, you need an ID, in order to get an ID you need an SSN card. (Or some other bullshit things that only 2% of people even have.)

Comment

Is she over 18?

She should look up her local social security office, walk in the door, and ask somebody if she can't look it up on Google herself. She can Google "how do I get my birth certificate" and "how to apply for a social security number" if she's so inclined.

If she's under 18, she will need her parents help. Are you sure about this? How have her parents been claiming her on taxes? Her SS number has to be listed for them to get the proper deductions. Are you positive she's not just confused? Are her parents legal?

This is an LDR website, yes, but this isn't exactly the kind of question we see here.
                      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

No. She should be able to get an ID with her birth certificate ans a bank statement or bill. If she is telling you differently, it's not true....
                        sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

In this country we have an SSN almost before we're named here. Not literally, but if she were born in this country, she has one.

If she's over 18 she should be able to navigate the system. No problem. And should have been able to figure out the information that whatruckus provided you on her own. I live in Arizona (right next door to your gf) and the laws are no worse here than there. Frankly, my state is the crazier of the two, and I have no issues obtaining the information your gf is lacking.

My suggestion would be to take a step back, and work through the problem without losing your patience. What is an LDR about, if not patience?
                          "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

She is over 18, and the system in New Mexico requires you to have proof of Age, AND proof of ID. Which she can't get, because she has no ID. To get an ID she needs a SSN, which she can't just give the number for, she needs the legitimate physical card.

Comment

You require 2 proofs of residency, a SSN, and a proof of ID to get a new ID. The site says so.

Comment

Working...
                              X