ESTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESTA

I know that this topic has been covered before but I can not see my specific question.
    I went in on an ESTA for 2 weeks in February. It expires in June and I am going back again in July for 6 weeks. So will obviously apply for another one. I was also planning a trip in December so would have to apply again.
    Because I am not spending the full 90 days in the US are they going to get funny with me? I'm just a little worried after looking at what other people have written about. I have traveled on the old VWP quite a few times but never more than once in a year. I did stay in California for 90 days on a VWP but I did not overstay. My total days in the US by the end of the year would be 10 weeks so thats not 90 days. If it's broken up like that over a time period they aren't going to get funny are they? It's quite clear I am not trying to immigrate when I am only going for 2-3 weeks on 2 trips and 6 weeks on another. My daughter is a US citizen and I have never traveled with her before so I am a little worried they will think I'm just going to entre and not come back which isn't the case. I have never broken any VWP and I only stayed 2 weeks on my ESTA in February.
    I'm probably overthinking it but I wanted to confirm with others.
    Thanks.

Edit: Would it help if I took my previous flight tickets, my college details and work details to prove I am coming back home?
    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
    All the way from England to the USA.

the ESTA is just another part of the VWP - it is valid for 2 years regardless of the amount you come and go.

As long as you are not in the US 'too much' then it is fine normally - typically the rule is stay out the US for as long as you were in it, for up to 90 days at a time - in essence 3 months in 3 months away- your trip spacing sounds fine to me.

I doubt you will need your past tickets and the like, I made 6 trips with work and pleasure to the US in the last 6 months of last year with not a single question - I even went through the US electronic gates at O'Hare on one of the trips, rather than have to queue - because the ESTA puts your fingerprints on the same system!

Comment

So the ESTA is valid for 2 years? Aw thats frustrating because I just renewed my passport so I'll have to apply for a new one.

Comment

like p_b82 said, the ESTA you apply for is valid for 2 years or until your passport has to be renewed, whichever is shorter, which means you don't have to apply for a new one in December, because you will still have the one you got in july!

The VWP allows you to stay for 90 days tops each trip, not in total! For example, I stayed for 11 days in February, 75 in June and 89 in October and it was perfectly fine

Strong ties to the home country are always recommended if you travel a lot, because you could always get a grumpy officer who accuses you of trying to immigrate, but if you are legitimately not trying to, usually you will have a sound story and proof of it - college paper, work papers, bank statements, etc.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
          like p_b82 said, the ESTA you apply for is valid for 2 years or until your passport has to be renewed, whichever is shorter, which means you don't have to apply for a new one in December, because you will still have the one you got in july!

The VWP allows you to stay for 90 days tops each trip, not in total! For example, I stayed for 11 days in February, 75 in June and 89 in October and it was perfectly fine

Strong ties to the home country are always recommended if you travel a lot, because you could always get a grumpy officer who accuses you of trying to immigrate, but if you are legitimately not trying to, usually you will have a sound story and proof of it - college paper, work papers, bank statements, etc.
          It's important to note that you are allowed to stay 90 days every 180 days. It's not per trip, it's per 180 days.

~
          It'll take a lot more than words and guns
          A whole lot more than riches and muscle
          The hands of the many must join as one
          And together we'll cross the river

Comment

So basically if I were to take a couple of trips a year (which at the moment until I close the distance is the plan) it should be fine as long as my stay doesn't exceed 90 days in a 180 period. It's cool I only have to pay for ESTA once more when I fly back out in July. I didn't realise this. Hopefully by the time the 2 years is up we'll of closed the distance and I will take a load of things with me, like my tenancy agreement etc because my daughter is a US citizen and travels into the US on her US passport as is not eligible for ESTA so I know I am more likely to get questioned.

Comment

Working...
            X