Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Married overseas but not yet closed the GAP, now scared!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Married overseas but not yet closed the GAP, now scared!

Hello All,

This is my very first post. A little background on us. My husband and I recently married in February of this year in his home country (Australia). He has visit me in the states before and we Skype daily and the year and half before the wedding was crazy fun with daily skyping, lots of creative dates, book clubs and hobbies together. I have a young son who he often chat with on Skype as well. The wedding was beautiful and his friends were super warm and supportive. Both of us were super confidence on our wedding day and excited for our journey together. I know he loves me and is so smitten with me.

Right now he still in Australia as we are waiting for the approval of the I-130 process. We chose this method so there was not a waiting period where he could not work once arriving in the states.

This all sounds really grand but now... But all I know that it just hits me ... how scared I am with this process. I feel so horrible for thinking this after getting married and etc but it was never a concern before. We talk all the time, perhaps a bit too much that I feel like I am literally married to the computer.

Anyone have any tips or similar experiences that you don't mind sharing? I am trying to get grounded again because this scared feeling is making me not want to talk to him, changes my mood, and makes me worry way more than I should. I am scared of the unknown with the upcoming transition.

Talking all the time is not a negative thing! My husband and I were talking all day everyday before we closed the distance (on a fiancee visa) and we transitioned just fine. Now, we sit next to each other every day, each do our own things and talk to each other whenever we feel like it. Nothing really changed besides being able to just reach over and hug him whenever I want to instead of having to wait for an upcoming visit.

Talk to him and voice your concerns. Talk about what you are both expecting of your lives together once you close the distance, https://members.lovingfromadistance....to-think-About <~ this recent thread might help you find what you could be talking/thinking about!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I get that every now and then too and I am no where near as close to closing the distance as you are. Every so often, I feel myself pushing him away. When I really look at it and think about what's going on, I know it's always right before we see each other after a long distance or when we're about to part ways after being together. It's that fear of the unknown that makes me always feel like somehow pushing him away will make things better. It never does. You are SO close to closing the distance! Yes, it's scary, but it's also terribly exciting! Try not to let those nerves get the best of you. If they do, just remember that it's nerves because you're nervous and excited about finally getting to be together instead of nervous because you don't know when you will get to be together again.

Comment

Working...
      X