Getting a Pet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a Pet

Yes, the first thing I am doing when Judsen and I become CD (or 1.5-2 hours away) is getting a dog or a cat.

Right now since I visit him every two/three weeks it would be too hard to adopt an animal that wouldn't get much attention on the weekends. I did foster a dog for a week and it took my mind off J for a while but I had to give it back to the rescue group after it caused me $700 worth in damages.

I really want to get a cat because they are low maintenance but Judsen is allergic. There is a breed that affects allegic people less than others called Siberian but it is hard to schedule an allergy test with the breeder since I don't want to waste any time when Judsen is here.

What a pain! So in the mean time I like to have a lot of fun researching the dog breeds I am looking for and contacting breeders to get some more information.

9 more months until we possibly close the distance and I can get a furbaby.
    First date: 12.27.09
    Started the distance: 6.10.10
    Finished the distance: 8.17.12

J & C

Dogs > Cats

I love dogs they're the best! I've got a 7-year-old German Shepherd, we've had him since he was a puppy, best decision we ever made ♥
    In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
    Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
    Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
    My dog Sam ♥

Comment

I agree with you Andy. Dogs are so sweet and lovable but they need so much attention! Does being LD affect how much you can care for your dog?

J & C

Comment

Originally posted by leonina View Post
        I agree with you Andy. Dogs are so sweet and lovable but they need so much attention! Does being LD affect how much you can care for your dog?
        Erm, well I live at home with my parents and my brother so I can't really comment on that, he's always well looked after whether I'm there or not (though looked after a bit better if I am there )

I wish more than anything that I could take him with me when I have to leave here. He's my best mate

I'm gonna take him out for a walk now
        In a relationship with

My Albums:
        Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
        My dog Sam ♥

Comment

^_^ same with me and my SO, I'm so glad we are both dog people- he has a mutt named Lindsay and I have a Labrador called Max. When I move over there to study, and we finally can a home set up, we are going to get a dog. We've settled on getting a Boston Terrier or Brussels Griffon for now, but I bet we change our minds again lol We've already decided we're going to call it Dave!

and also, if we end up living in a house, we will probably end up getting a teacup pig too. My master plan is Dave and Piggy will have their own Youtube channel, which will explode in popularity and we will become rich beyond our wildest dreams! lol

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            Dogs > Cats
            God, this!

Elina disagrees but pfft

We're gonna get a cat and a dog
            Maybe a giraffe too, eh honey?

Comment

And then you can spread some of your wealth to the great people of the LFAD and make long distance relationships the most hip thing of the century!

J & C

Comment

Maybe a teacup giraffe so it fits in the bedroom?

J & C

Comment

Have you thought about waiting a month or two? Going from LDR to CD is lots of change to deal with, maybe settle in a little first, so you don't drive yourself too crazy My pups live to make me nuts, they are experts at it, and during my divorce a few years back, getting us and them settled in a new home was kinda stressful.
                  Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah I definitely won't be getting one the day he moves closer but it will be very soon. And if he moves in with me it will be even longer. But it will be nice to go look at the rescue shelters and potentially get a dog rather than not being able to go at all.

J & C

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
                      Maybe a giraffe too, eh honey?
                      What would our lives be like without a giraffe? :o Imagine if you got stuck on the roof and I wouldn't be at home to help you, what would you do

If we got a giraffe, it would help you get down

We should also get a monkey A Gorilla? *puppy eyes*

Comment

I love both dogs and cats! My boyfriend isn't a big fan of dogs because he thinks they're too much work. But whenever we close the distance (3 years) we want to get a kitty

Comment

Originally posted by elina View Post
                          What would our lives be like without a giraffe? :o Imagine if you got stuck on the roof and I wouldn't be at home to help you, what would you do

If we got a giraffe, it would help you get down

We should also get a monkey A Gorilla? *puppy eyes*

Haha I'd love a little pet chimp! How good would that be!
                          In a relationship with

My Albums:
                          Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
                          My dog Sam ♥

Comment

Get a dog or cat from your local animal shelter! Don't go to breeders, please please please. Sorry to harass or nag, but it's just something I feel strong about.

Comment

Originally posted by annamorgan View Post
                              Get a dog or cat from your local animal shelter! Don't go to breeders, please please please. Sorry to harass or nag, but it's just something I feel strong about.
                              Agreed.

That being said, I know my SO is getting a dog that will be ours to share once we close the distance. I want a cat, and we're planning to get one of those too once we're back together. We're both big supporters of getting rescue pets, having both had shelter or rescue pets our whole lives.

I'm a little wary of dogs though, stemming from an incident when I was a kid. My mom got some nasty bites from our neighbor's dog and had to be taken to the ER for stitches. Even if I know they're completely docile and friendly, I'm still afraid of them.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

Working...
                              X