Possbly closing the distance for six months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possbly closing the distance for six months

I am looking into work permits for him to come to Norway. We have an employer that wants him. We are looking into seasonal work permit, which would mean he would get to go here in the summer time for up to 6 months, or a regular work permit, which would allow him to work up to a year (which would be renewable and could lead to a permanent recidency). I have done a lot of research and contacted the Foregin Department, because the restaurant have not had any foregin employers before and don't know the rules (he owner is Turk himself, but he came over on a Family Reunion visa). I have hopes he could close the distance for a while and in time perhaps permanently. I feel a bit exited right now I will talk over the details with the restaurant towmorrow
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Best of luck to you guys!

Comment

Good luck
      Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
      All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

That sounds really exciting! I hope it works out for you guys!

Comment

I have an odd question.

Does he speak Norwegian? Does he speak English? Do people in Norway generally speak any English? I don't ask because I think anyone should, I just ask because when we stayed in Croatia both me, and my SO and his parents all spoke to everyone there in English (not Dutch or English or the German, French or Spanish his parents speak)so much I could almost seeing us moving there someday. I would not probably move to any country that does not speak any English because it allows us a way to both communicate. For that matter, you must speak it, since you write it so well and most likely not fluent in Turkish so he does? Now I am babbling.....mainly I am curious since my SO still wants to move back to NL someday, and tbh, I am really happy living in an English speaking country, do you think this will be an issue for your SO at all? I dread living in a place where I feel guilty for speaking English. I don't have any issue with visiting a land of some other language but moving forever limits my ability to be me. I have tried, and trying, to learn Dutch, but I suck at it. How well does your SO speak Norwegian and if not well, has he thought over this? It really will matter and unless he speaks it, I think he might wish to prepare himself for it. This is just from my personal experience of my past ( and future life ) in NL. Language made a huge difference for me. I also know, It will again. Dutch people mostly all speak English but prefer and always jump back to Dutch which makes me hate my brain for not getting Dutch and making a social butterfly turn into a cowering puppy.
          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
            I have an odd question.

Does he speak Norwegian? Does he speak English? Do people in Norway generally speak any English? I don't ask because I think anyone should, I just ask because when we stayed in Croatia both me, and my SO and his parents all spoke to everyone there in English (not Dutch or English or the German, French or Spanish his parents speak)so much I could almost seeing us moving there someday. I would not probably move to any country that does not speak any English because it allows us a way to both communicate. For that matter, you must speak it, since you write it so well and most likely not fluent in Turkish so he does? Now I am babbling.....mainly I am curious since my SO still wants to move back to NL someday, and tbh, I am really happy living in an English speaking country, do you think this will be an issue for your SO at all? I dread living in a place where I feel guilty for speaking English. I don't have any issue with visiting a land of some other language but moving forever limits my ability to be me. I have tried, and trying, to learn Dutch, but I suck at it. How well does your SO speak Norwegian and if not well, has he thought over this? It really will matter and unless he speaks it, I think he might wish to prepare himself for it. This is just from my personal experience of my past ( and future life ) in NL. Language made a huge difference for me. I also know, It will again. Dutch people mostly all speak English but prefer and always jump back to Dutch which makes me hate my brain for not getting Dutch and making a social butterfly turn into a cowering puppy.
            SO speaks a little bit of Norwegian. He also speaks English, German, Arabic and some Russian. He takes language very easily, he has good Norwegian prononciation.

People in Norway learn English in school from we are 9-18 years old.

I do speak a bit of Turkish (Ben Turkce biraz konosiyorum), but it is not the language we usually speak together, I understand more Turkish than I am able to speak.

I think SO will struggle a bit with Norwegian grammar. But he has friends here, and his best friend has a baby and a fiance here, he wil move here as soon as his family reunion visa goes through. I hope working here will be the best way to learn the language, although you can learn from language classes too. He is very, very sure that he will be able to learn Norwegian in no time (like the perfectionist he is), he thinks his friends who is going to move here knows too little Norwegian and likes to go on about how he would learn the language much better than him if he got the uppertunity to stay here etc. At least he is very aware that learning the language will be very helpful for him. I have no doubt he will learn it, although I imagine it will take a bit longer than he himself thinks.
            Last edited by differentcountries; October 24, 2015, 06:25 PM.
            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
              I have an odd question.

Hi, just thought I'd jump in here! I don't know about your history and if you have ever tried living in NL, but here's my take on it. I completely agree with you. Dutch is an extremely challenging language and, much like you, I pretty much suck at it. I took a beginner class and I can barely string a sentence together. I lived in NL for about 6 months. The first 4ish months were rough. Very very rough. I felt so alone and embarrassed speaking English all the time and even more embarrassed about my Dutch abilities. The worst part was when we were in a group and everyone would try to speak English for me. You can appreciate it a ton but still feel guilty because why should they speak English for you when you're in their freaking country!? Anyways, my point is that as tough as those first couple of months were, I started to learn Dutch just by being there. By the time I left, I was able to speak only Dutch during interactions in the grocery store or various other situations. I pretty much lost all of my skills since I've been back in the US, but I am eager to get back to see how much more I can learn when I'm completely immersed in it. We intend to move to the US, but I am highly considering moving to NL for a year or two in order for us to be together. Plus, one day when there are babies, I want to be fluent and I know I can only do that by living there.

But with that being said, the longer I was there, the more I felt comfortable being me: an American girl with terrible Dutch skills that is just trying to make it through my day. I felt way less guilty speaking English all the time if I started every conversation with "spreek je Engles?" because then I was at least trying and not assuming that everyone would speak English for me. I also lived in a big city and I think that made a difference. People were more inclined to speak English. When I visited Amsterdam I didn't even bother pulling out my shitty Dutch because barely anyone expected you to speak Dutch and most menus were in English.

Anyways, not sure if any of this helped or if you have tried living in NL in the past and didn't like it because of the language barrier. I totally get it. Just thought I'd give my thoughts and hope that I can help some how!

Comment

Wow! That sounds so amazing. Summer in Norway together, how wonderful. Fingers crossed for you two

Comment

Originally posted by absoulutelyanna View Post
                  Wow! That sounds so amazing. Summer in Norway together, how wonderful. Fingers crossed for you two
                  Thanks! Let's see. It seems the rules are a bit more complicated than I thought. But I am still looking into it, and keeping in touch with the restaurant. We need to start either work permit or visitor visa these days.

Comment

I totally can relate. I moved to Germany to be with my SO. I had to get a work visa to be living here as well. It wasn't so easy at first, but it eventually worked out perfectly. I really hope the same for you two

Comment

Working...
                    X