Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closing the distance between an American and Candian.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing the distance between an American and Candian.

Me and my SO have been together for almost 2 and a half years. We have visited each other multiple times and want to close the distance soon. I am 18 years old and for my high school graduation present to myself I visited my SO in his home country for the the first time and I LOVED it there! I would love to live there with him and his family was as amazing as I thought they would be. I decided not to acquire any further education past high school quite yet because I thought it would tie me down to my current location. I've been working and saving for over two years now and have a couple thousand dollars saved up. I plan to use my savings to get me to my SO. I also plan to sell my car to help me get there. My problem is I have almost no knowledge on how to get started on a working visa in Canada or where to even begin. I know it takes time so I want to get started soon. I know an easy solution is marriage but both my SO and I agree we are young and we don't want to wed just for the sole purpose of being able to live together if we can avoid it. We have no issue wedding we just feel like it is not the right time. I know my SO would not enjoy living here in this specific state with me and he has already pursued an education beyond high school and wants to get started on a career. So it only makes sense that I move to him so that he can focus on a career.

So, really my big question is how do I begin the process of getting a one year working visa in Canada? How long approximately does the process take? Are there any other options for me and my SO? I would LOVE to hear your story and or advice if you have any. I have the money and the motivation I just need to know where to start.

Thank you so much for reading my rant! Any info would be much appreciated!
    -memyj97
    Last edited by memyj97; July 31, 2016, 11:17 PM.

As far as I'm aware, it might not be possible to apply for a work visa without higher qualifications, a Canadian spouse or being currently enrolled in a university. There's a few other categories but they likely wouldn't be applicable either.

I know you didn't ask for advice, so feel free to ignore this, but not being tied down is sort of a terrible reason not to go for further education. You could even look into schooling closer to your SO or getting involved in work-study programs that let you go to Canada.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

You can get more info on this here https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp . Good luck to you!
      Last edited by edenxa; August 1, 2016, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edenxa View Post
        You can get more info on this here https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp . Good luck to you!
        The US isn't actually included in the list of IEC approved countries btw. You'd think it would be easier to move across the border but it's a process. You should look here for all the options, https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/permit.asp. I imagine the reason it's so tough is because there are many qualified citizens in both countries as it is.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-im...oard/index.php

There is a ton of information in the above link. Those forums got me through my visa process.

I don't know a ton about working visas, but I do know it's about next to impossible for an American to get one in Canada. It isnt what I would depend on for closing the distance. Especially if you aren't a "skilled worker."

Comment

Honestly I don't think a working visa is what you should be going for just now. You're young and really you need to try get some sort of further education so you'll actually have a chance of getting a working visa in the future or even really getting a decent job. Of course you probably can get a job with just a high school education but most employers look for degrees or some sort of education past high school so in the long run you're better doing some sort of studying to help you find a job.
            My advice would be to look into schooling either close to your SO if that's possible or at least maybe a little bit closer so you don't have to travel as far to see him. Education is really really important and as much as you want to be with him you need to think about what you want to do as your career and how you'll achieve that.
            Best of luck to you! :3
            my girls <3

Josie (SO)
            Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
            Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
            Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
            Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
            Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
            Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
            Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
            All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

I figured that may be as such...its terrible lol.
              Thank you for the advice though! Even if I wasn't in this long distance relationship I wouldn't know what kind of education to pursue. I think either way its best I work and save my money in case I decide in the future.

Comment

Working...
              X