Our plans to close the distance seem to be disintegrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our plans to close the distance seem to be disintegrating

I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for almost fifteen months. We fell for each other our last semester of undergrad, and we got together after graduation, despite knowing that he would move away for his job while I would stay behind. Almost two weeks to the day after we got together, he moved. The distance has been getting much harder for both of us, especially because there is no end in sight. Originally, we planned to close the distance when we started grad school- me in medical school and him in computer science. But then he wanted to delay grad school for a year, but he said he would follow me. Now, he is very conflicted about leaving his job to go off to school--it's a good job with great benefits, he loves his work, and he is able to put a lot of money into retirement savings. He still plans to get a Master's, but now he's thinking of doing it part-time while continuing his job in New Mexico. Before hearing about all this I had thought about going to med school in New Mexico. Problem was that since I wasn't a resident of New Mexico, I had to apply early decision, and since I thought he would leave NM to go to grad school, I didn't apply early decision.

We just recently had a long, hard conversation about distance. We love each other, and we have talked about marriage, but we're both terrified by the uncertainty of the future. Grad school was going to be our way to close the distance, but now it is seeming more and more like that is not a possibility. I've recently been thinking about moving to NM, but I'd only be there for less than a year before leaving for med school. This seemed like a good idea when the plan was that we would go to grad school in the same city, even if we waited a year for him to join me. But now...

We've never dated in the same city, and he is worried that our time together is always a honeymoon phase. He says we need to do what's right for us, but he also says thinking of me all by myself for med school makes him sad. I don't want distance to be the end of us, but sometimes it feels like it may be inevitable.
Working...
X