Getting married before closing the distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting married before closing the distance

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right thread for this question.
    But has anyone here ever heard or experienced this scenario, me and my SO is considering about getting married before closing the distance (the visa process is a gonna be a long process), probably a year before we apply for the visa to live together.

My questions are, will it affect our visa application, since we are not living together for a year even after we get married.
    And do you think it will badly affect our marriage, since we will be married but still in LDR.
    Thanks

What countries are you guys from? What country would you be getting married in? What's the longest amount of time you've spent in person?
    sigpic

Comment

Many international couples have to get married before closing the distance. It depends on the country and other circumstances if people are able to stay in the country while applying for family reuinion visa or similar.

I think SO and I have to get married and then he has to go back to his country to work while we wait and proceed the visa process. I also have to work and cant visit him a lot because I have to proved that I earn enough money (and also literally earn money as various things about the visa process will cost a lot of money!

I think it depends on the person weather or not it effects them good or bad to wait vs go straight from marriage to visa proecess. But 1 year of postphoning the visa process is not a long time and I dont think the authorities will react to it even if most couples start the visa process right away.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Like the others have been saying, we would need some more information.
        Which country are you and your SO from? Where would you get married? Where do you want to live together.
        It will depende on the laws of the country itself. And which visa would you be getting? Family reunion? Or just a work permit?

Me and my SO have tried many things to close the distance, but in the end getting married seems to be the only way which we have control over to finally close the distance.
        But even then it's not that easy. We haven't made that step yet, but I already did some research.

First of all, you need to make sure that the marriage gets accepted in the other country (which can be tricky if you haven't met before).
        Here in Belgium, they will check to make sure that your not in a fake marriage just to get a visa.
        Even then, after you get married you still need to do the whole procedure and there are other requirements such as:
        - You need to prove you can support your spouse.
        - You need a place to live (rental or of your own) in which your spouse will also be living.
        - And for some reason I believe you also need to wait for 6 months.

Comment

It's what my spouse and I have done. I've been married to her for nearly 2 years (we had only been together in person for less than 2 months when we married lol) and we also have a child who will reach 1 year old soon. We still live apart for now but have plans for her to move with me this fall. We have always been close and pleased with our relationship. The distance hasn't really affected us. After all it's all we've known. We are used to it. But I can't say it'll work for you. You have to be confident you and your SO know each other well and can handle the LDR easily.
          As far as the application for permanent residence I will submit for her. I'm not concerned it'll be denied or come with problems. As soon as she enters the US I will mail the application. My mother and father handled immigration in a similar fashion. My mother came on a tourist visa and simply applied to have her status adjusted and waited several months for the response. It's technically not the proper way to submit the request. But requesting a K1 fiancee visa takes forever and is much more likely to be denied than a spouse visa. It's easier if you just marry and wait a while to prove you're in a committed relationship. I'm not expert on this though so don't take my word for it. It's better to consult legal professionals if you aren't sure. Different countries have different requirements as well.
          Last edited by Lostviolinist; February 23, 2019, 11:11 AM.
          First contact: March, 2014
          Official LDR: June, 2014
          Married since: August, 2017
          “有一种幸福就是每天睁开眼睛,就知道你在。” -Xinxin

Comment

Really depends on the target country and their visa policy. In most cases, the visa type you apply for will be different depending on whether you are engaged or married. If you get married and then apply for visa, I think it is also different depending on whether you get married in the target country, or get married in another country. If you get married in your country, it also differs if your fiance(e) was residing in your country or just visiting at that time. Talking to an immigration lawyer would be the best way.

Comment

If you are specifically talking about the US. My experience might be relevant. We are in the process of applying for fiancee visa (k1) and it was because spouse visa (k3) is taking the same, if not longer, time (about a year). But if your boyfriend is already working and living in your country with you, then I believe if you get married there, you can apply for greencard status or something equivalent right away, instead of K3 from the US embassy in your country. Some of my friends are Korean americans working in Korea, and their Korean spouse's visa process went very fast. If your boyfriends doesn't work/live in your country, and you get married when he was visiting, I believe you need to get K3. But again...immigration lawyers probably know the best!

Comment

Originally posted by ransinlove View Post
                If you are specifically talking about the US. My experience might be relevant. We are in the process of applying for fiancee visa (k1) and it was because spouse visa (k3) is taking the same, if not longer, time (about a year). But if your boyfriend is already working and living in your country with you, then I believe if you get married there, you can apply for greencard status or something equivalent right away, instead of K3 from the US embassy in your country. Some of my friends are Korean americans working in Korea, and their Korean spouse's visa process went very fast. If your boyfriends doesn't work/live in your country, and you get married when he was visiting, I believe you need to get K3. But again...immigration lawyers probably know the best!
                K3 is a dead visa route that's not used anymore. You would use CR1. Going through the CR1 process right now myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Caro1 View Post
                  K3 is a dead visa route that's not used anymore. You would use CR1. Going through the CR1 process right now myself!
                  Oh Cool! Thanks for correcting me. Wasn't aware of that. Digging around a bit more, it seems it's because there is a shorter time for processing I-130 than before compared to I-129 (petition for k1/k3), there is rare need for K3.
                  How long is it taking you?

Comment

Originally posted by ransinlove View Post
                    Oh Cool! Thanks for correcting me. Wasn't aware of that. Digging around a bit more, it seems it's because there is a shorter time for processing I-130 than before compared to I-129 (petition for k1/k3), there is rare need for K3.
                    How long is it taking you?
                    We got married last October and filed the paperwork last month. So still haven't heard anything. I'm assuming it will take around a year to be approved and since I have to give 3 months notice to quit my job, it'll be a little longer than that to close the distance. I'm from Germany, so I'm hoping the German consulate won't be too busy compared to other's around the world.

Comment

For me its not the way that I want it to be, but see that it is probably going to have to be the way that it is going to have to be.

Comment

Working...
                      X