Moving from Singapore to Germany - any advice is welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from Singapore to Germany - any advice is welcome

Hey guys! I've joined this community as someone in a LDR currently, but we were fortunate enough to have spent the first ~4 months of our relationship side by side, so it has a good stable foundation

A little background story: we met in Singapore while he was here for work, on a tinder date(hehe), went to the club together as friends, and ended up going on more dates after as we really got along... and it gradually turned into a relationship. I've just flown back from a month with him in Germany, and it has been lovely. We've built ourselves a little home, and I can't wait to go back (September, most likely).

Anyway, I was fortunate to have found a full time job there in Germany, and will be making my move probably in February 2020 (when I graduate) for some language courses first. I will have to however return to Singapore for some time as I need to be here to file my Visa documents. If any of you guys have any advice on how to make the move any easier, or tips I could use, feel free to comment on this thread.

As of now, I'm kind of sad that I have to be apart from him for a little while. I still have a couple weeks left of school and then will be doing an internship from September to February, so taking leave days might be a little tricky, but the plan is to visit him in December again for a longer time ~2 weeks. I don't think too much time apart is healthy.

Welcome to the forum!
    Meeting up in September and moving from February 2020 sounds awesome. You have an end-date coming up soon and I think both of you can manage Is there any chance he can visit you before though? Or his job won't allow him to?
    I don't have any particular advice except the "general tips" when preparing to move abroad:
    - Try to learn the local language (even the typical tourist sentences can go a long way - such as "Pleased to meet you", "Which direction is the subway?" or "May I have more milk in my coffee?"...)
    - Same goes for the culture. I'd recommend the YouTube channel "Geography Now!" which is both fun and rather well-made. It feels like a fun accelerated course. Watch the Germany video!
    - Check out if you need an adaptator for your electronic devices

And that's about it :P

Comment

Thanks for your reply!
      Yes, he is looking to spend Chinese New Year with me next year, but he has to check his exam schedule in order to book flights. We are both students at the moment ( he is doing a part-time degree) so the usual "broke college student" applies here, haha. We manage. Looking forward to booking my flight back next week when my exam schedule is released as well.

Also. I have learnt quite some German ( I can order food/drinks without too much of a problem) mainly I'm just a little shy when it comes to speaking the language to strangers, haha. He was encouraging me to order food for the both of us when I was there in June to boost my confidence. It certainly helped.

I think we will be fine as well, we have been communicating and despite the distance we still feel a strong connection in our own unique way. Keeps the flame between us alive. Two months is going to zoom by fast, I know it, as we are both pretty busy at the moment with our studies.

Comment

Working...
      X