Moving Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Soon

There has been a lot of posting going on lately about closing the distance and I am just looking for some positive words on everything as I am moving in 4 days!

I know for a fact that I am doing the right thing and I couldn't be happier about finally moving in with my SO and being with him 24/7 but as it gets closer I get more and more worried about other things.

First of all, I will be moving in with his family. It will be his parents and his sister, not just me and him. I have pretty much taken care of myself and done what I want for at least 9 years and so I'm not sure how it will feel suddenly being in someone elses home with rules and different expectations etc... Not to mention that his mother doesn't really like me as I "didn't impress her" when I first met her... And his sister is only a few years older but acts like shes the mom and is nosy and bossy a lot of times.

Secondly, I am used to having my own car and just going wherever I want whenever I want. When I get there I will have no vehicle... not that I would know where I was going anyways...

I'm just concerned about things like that and just the basic fact that I will be leaving behind everything and everyone I know. I don't know the area I'm moving to very well and its not as safe of an area as my hometown. I don't know anyone there except my SO and his family that aren't too fond of me.

I don't know how things will go and I hope that most of these things will handle themselves and maybe I am worrying too much?
    Anyone have advice? D:
    Met: 2.20.10
    Started Dating: 4.22.10
    Been an LDR since: 4.22.10
    First time meeting irl: 6.28.10 - 7.18.10
    Last time I saw my SO: 9.16.10 - 9.22.10
    Closed the Distance: 10.9.10

While I have no experience with moving out, I can tell you one thing. Even if his family isn't fond of you, you should express your concerns to them and try your best to stay on his families good side. Not saying you would do anything to get on their bad side but just try your best since they arent fond of you D: Also if their impression of you wasn't good at first maybe after being with them after awhile their impression will change? :3 Just keep your chin up and try enjoy your new life with you SO, albeit being with his family :3

First Met Online: May 08
    Became a Couple: 4.11.09
    First Visit: 7.27.11 - 8.11.11
    Second Visit: 9.15.12 - 9.23.12
    Third Visit: 7.6.13 - 7.14.13

Comment

I am so excited for you!! Everything will work out!
      NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

living with people that are not fond of you can...get you down but my advice since ive been there before. is stay true to yourself. dont try to impress them. let being yourself impress them. be true to who you are and just be kind and helpful but dont let them take advantage to much. i have lived with alot of people in my life time and thats what ive taken from it. keep me updated

Comment

Well I guess as a starter, find out the 'house rules' are. Then what the daily routine is and where you fit into it. Expect to be assigned chores etc. If you have any special requests or needs make sure they know too. How does conflict get resolved in the house? Who gets to watch the TV / use the internet and when. How much are you going to be expected to pay towards the household? and when. Are there any curfews? All the standard stuff like you were moving into any shared house.

Comment

My advice to you would be to be on better terms with his mom is to maybe go out with her, just one on one and tryign being friends and get to know each other. Most mothers are very over bearign when it comes to their sons, no one is good enough for them. With my ex, I moved into their house at first I dont think she liked me she told my parents I was too nice for her son. We spent alot of late nites talking and hanging out. She loved to crotchet, im not a fan of that but I asked her to teach me and that was where we bonded. I asked her for advice on things even though i didnt agree with it I always made sure I knew what she thought so she didnt feel threatend by me. People love to teach and give advice so just keep communication open at all times, and if there is a hobby that she enjoys doing ask if you can join her once or twice to break the ice.

Im sure after a few weeks everyone will get into a routine and things will be great!!! GOOD LUCK

Comment

I think you should realize that they invited you to live with them. That has to mean something. Whether his mom agreed to that to help you or her son, it's a huge gesture in the right direction. So try not to be so worried about it. The more worried you are, the less you'll be yourself, and for her to give you a real chance, she needs to see the person her son fell in love with.

Comment

I agree with Dark, Just tell them you are nervous, and you've been on your own a long time so you don't know how to be part of a family, but you'd really like to learn. Ask them what the house rules are, and what they would like you to do to contribute, remember to thank them for letting you come live with them. I'm sure his big sister is bossy and nosey, 'we' usually are. Just remember she wants to make sure you make her brother happy. If you are making him happy, and he is showing it with his family, they will love you, it may just take some time. Biggest thing that can happen is for you to deal directly with them, don't have your boyfriend be the go between. Ask them to tell you if there are any problems and be willing to listen to them. Good Luck, though you express yourself very eloquently, I am sure you will do GREAT! HUGS

Everything I know, and anywhere I go, It gets hard but it won't take away my love,
                And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done, It gets hard but it won't take away my love

sigpic

Me without Him is like Son of Beast without the loop.

Comment

I would only suggest that you should see his parents place as a temporary thing. Start making plans to check if it's possible to move with him somewhere else. Can you bring your car over? If not that is a bummer, maybe you could sell it, and then with that money buy a new one eventually. You can't change the mind of his family, all you can do is being nice with them, showing them who the better person is. Maybe they will change with time.

Best wishes girl!

Comment

My suggestion would be to thank them, of course, but do it formally face to face, and then I would suggest finding a way to 'pay back' for your place there. Maybe you can pay a bit of rent or take over some chores. Lots of people love it when people will cook for the family or do laundry.

Also, since you're an independent person, I would encourage you to start an action plan of figuring out how you're going to get out on your own, in your own apartment. Or maybe you and Anthony can rent one together, whatever works best for you both.

Best of luck!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                      Also, since you're an independent person, I would encourage you to start an action plan of figuring out how you're going to get out on your own, in your own apartment. Or maybe you and Anthony can rent one together, whatever works best for you both...
                      Great idea, even if its just out of the house and into the community, like a library, or coffee place, just someplace where you feel independent and can make you're local 'hang out'.

Everything I know, and anywhere I go, It gets hard but it won't take away my love,
                      And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done, It gets hard but it won't take away my love

sigpic

Me without Him is like Son of Beast without the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                        My suggestion would be to thank them, of course, but do it formally face to face, and then I would suggest finding a way to 'pay back' for your place there. Maybe you can pay a bit of rent or take over some chores. Lots of people love it when people will cook for the family or do laundry.
                        I will already be paying rent ^^;
                        Met: 2.20.10
                        Started Dating: 4.22.10
                        Been an LDR since: 4.22.10
                        First time meeting irl: 6.28.10 - 7.18.10
                        Last time I saw my SO: 9.16.10 - 9.22.10
                        Closed the Distance: 10.9.10

Comment

Working...
                        X