Possibility of (temporarily) closing the distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibility of (temporarily) closing the distance

I got back Monday night from seeing my SO, and of course it's rough. I'm in the post visit funk missing him insanely and have really tried to seriously think about what exactly is the best decision for us and our families.

One of the reasons I don't want to leave here is my job. I have a great career with an awesome law firm, and they've given me so many opportunities that I can't ever thank them enough for. I was in the office manager's office today, showing off my pics from the visit and she joked with me about not getting any ideas about moving away because they weren't letting me go anywhere. I admitted that coming back home was more difficult than I thought it would be, and that as much as I didn't want to move away from Florida, I really was giving it some more serious consideration. Then my office manager kind of surprised me by saying she might be open to talking about the possibility of my working remotely (logging into our computer system from an outside area) for a brief period of time - such as over the summer. Her thoughts were that I stay here during the school year, and potentially work remotely from New Hampshire over the summer!!! She actually suggested that I go up there for the summer to stay And I would get to keep my job!!!!

So it's a temporary fix, but may give us a better sense of a time frame and opportunity to actually close the distance for good. I've still got to decide if I want to do this, and leave my house, family, and friends for 2 and a half months, and it would still need to be approved by the managing partner of the firm, and a million other little details to iron out but just the possibility of getting to spend an extended period of time with my SO is making me feel more and more like we'll actually get to this!!!!!

Your manager is freaking awesome! I do hope it works out for you!
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Oh that's amazing news!!! I hope it works out for you! 2.5 months is a good amount of time to spend together. The most I've spent with my SO was about 2 months, and in that amount of time you do get to start to feel what it's like to really live with that person.

Comment

I hope everything works out!!

Comment

Wow.. you must love your manager for suggesting that

That's wonderful news, I hope everything works out for you!

Comment

Oh, that is SO awesome! Talk to your supervisor and yes yes yes take her up on it!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

great great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

So cool! that is great news!

Comment

what a great offer!
                  Hopefully everything will work out and you'll get this awesome opportunity!

Comment

congratulation! what a great news!!!!

Comment

YAY!
                      That's awesome news..hopefully it goes through!
                      I would love the opportunity to spend a summer near my SO, it'd be a dream!
                      Congrats =]

Comment

Okay, you have the best manager EVER!!! I wish my managers had been half that nice at the places I've worked XD I hope it works out!!

Comment

That is brilliant!!

Having such an understanding boss must be pretty damn rare!
                          In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
                          Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
                          Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
                          My dog Sam ♥

Comment

I just had to say this but you are absolutely lucky!! I mean really lucky!! Where you work at an environment where everyone likes you and you like your career as well!! Especially in this tragic economy, but the fact that your manager mentioned to you about doing a remote location shows how nice of a manager she is. It's obvious that she's thinking about your well being hence why she brought up this idea. I hope the remote location works out I really do, but I mean even though it's long distance I think you should wait a couple of years before leaving that great job of yours. Because it is hard to find another job where you're going to get this type of work environment especially since a lot of American companies these days are cutting costs and aren't treating their employees like they use to. Also they're outsourcing skilled jobs too overseas

Comment

Working...
                            X