Need ideas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need ideas!

So I've been with my australian boyfriend for a over a year. We've been long-distance for most of that time. I live in Pa, but go to school in maryland. I graduate this spring.

Dan, who lives in Queensland AU is graduating this november. We're hoping we can end this long-distance thing in december because we're not having fun with it.

The more visa stuff I read about the U.S., the more frustrated I get. Mainly its a money thing.

Does any one have any advice before I pack up and move to Antarctica in protest?

I don't know too much about moving to another country, or visas, because I haven't had to deal with any of it before, but I'll try to help you a little bit.

You're not going to figure anything out if you're always mad about the situation and frustrated that you can't find a solution. Take a few breathes, relax. It's stressful.

I know its hard to be away from your SO. We all know what that's like.
    What I do to save up money is I roll my change whenever I get any and get enough. Anything helps.
    Look more into the visa thing. Research on line, make phone calls, etc.
    I know that you can legally be in a country for 6 months..and then there's a certain amount of time that you aren't allowed to be in the country...I'm not too sure how long it is though. I know it's longer than 6 months though.
    I know it's not a similar situation, but I know what its like to be frustrated with money. It's the reason why my SO and I haven't even met yet.
    Be strong, and don't ever, ever give up, because your effort and dedication in the end will pay off.
    There's other people on the site who have gone through this, and are going through it too. Don't hesitate here to continue to look for support =)

Comment

US immigration is hard. But that doesn't mean that millions of people don't survive it every year.

You just have to be willing to fully commit your time and yourself to dealing with the hassle. But it's worth it in the end, right?

Comment

Yeah I hear both of you. Never post in anger! Lesson Learned.

And after a much-needed skype session last night I feel like we have a better plan. It feels good to be in control, not the immigration people!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicole.Denn View Post
          Yeah I hear both of you. Never post in anger! Lesson Learned.

And after a much-needed skype session last night I feel like we have a better plan. It feels good to be in control, not the immigration people!
          Haha, no I think sometimes it's okay to post in anger. You just needed some affirmation/support. That's what we're all here for!

Comment

I'll be straight. It does cost a lot of money, and time. In terms of red tape, it's MUCH easier for you to move to Australia than him to America. However, if him to America is hwo you want to do it, the best options to consider are the following:

1) He comes on a working holiday visa.
            2) Fiancee visa.

Both of those comparatively have a decent turnaround timeframe as compared to others. If he goes for a worker's visa, it'll take longer. Alternatively, there might be a company willing to sponsor him in, but I wouldn't get my hopes up as jobs aren't great for even Americans right now, let alone immigrants trying to get in.

If he does the fiancee visa, you'll want to get a lawyer, and it's really only an option if you plan to get married after it's granted. Sorry, but in terms of him coming over longterm, your chances pretty much suck. :/

However, if you'd like him to just come visit, he can come for up to 90 days on the ESTA/visa waiver program. My boyfriend's over here in the US for 2 months visiting. That at least would give you some time together.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
              In terms of red tape, it's MUCH easier for you to move to Australia than him to America.
              Plus Queensland is beautiful
              Lol, then again I can't compare it to America, as I don't wanna go over til I'm 21. Stupid drinking laws lol.

Comment

yeah I know. Dan went to college over here in the states for four years, without graduating (i know it would have been so much easier if he has an american degree). but such is life and he doesn't.

He seems convinced that he'll be able to get sponsored. He says that the US has a special work visa for australians (its called the E-3) and they accept about 10,500 a year. He has a BA in Sports Management and is a qualified Tennis Coach.

Don't get me wrong, I've thought about the Fiance visa- but I don't want to get married to quickly or pressure him. besides, I don't think I could prove financial responsibility at this time in my life.

Maybe after he stays for a few months we'll know if its right to get married?

Comment

I'm sure he will. It's good for you both to live together, wait, and be sure first. ^^ I'm going on a working holiday visa first so we don't have wedding pressure while we're enjoying life together first, even though we plan to get married down the road.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I find this odd because with a lot of Asian countries like Japan, China, and Korea they're willing to give you a visa just like that especially to teach English. It's super easy to get sponsored and a visa . I wish more countries were more open like that! I wish you the best of luck with that!

Comment

when he comes on any type of visa you guys can get married and start the process of him getting all the documents needed to stay permanently while already in the USA. So it doesn't matter if he comes on a tourist visa or not - you can still get married if you decide to.

Comment

Working...
                      X