Update - paperwork hurdle! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update - paperwork hurdle! :(

I was going to post this on Friday, but I was waaay too emotional and angry, so I left it until today. Basically I have applied for the *dream* job in my SO's town, which I am moving to in less than two weeks (11 December). Anyway, it is with the VIC government so they have extremely lengthy safety screening procedures which I totally get, as its a job in child protection. Anyway on Friday I got a call to tell me I was an "extremely competitive applicant" therefore they wanted me to start processing my VIC working with children check. They advised me they will make a job offer next week after they received the receipt of my application (the actual application process takes about 2 months, so they only need to know its pending as they have already done a federal police check). I already have a QLD one, but obviously I need a VIC one to work in VIC. So I go online to see what the process was, and it is completely different to QLD. Basically, as an interstate applicant, you have to call them and request a form to be mailed to you (takes about 2-3 days), then you have to get everything certified and a bank cheque made (one day), then you mail it off to them, and after they receive it (one day if I sent it via express) they will mail you back a receipt within TWO WEEKS!
    There's my problem - as an interstate applicant it will take about three weeks for me to get this paperwork to them! If you apply within VIC, they give you the damn receipt the same day!!! I emailed my potential future employer about it, and she had a meeting with HR later that day where she brought it up. Turns out HR are sticking to their guns, even though they have already done a federal police check and a QLD working with children check, plus its not like the VIC children check has to be APPROVED before the successful applicant begins work, it just needs to have been submitted! So the manager calls me to let me know my best bet is to wait til I move down next weekend, and submit everything straight away on Monday morning and bring the receipt down to her office. She said she cannot make an official job offer until after then.

So basically I am stressed because I don't know if I have the job - she kept implying, but my assumptions aren't going to pay the rent unfortunately! So these are the hints I picked up:
    • She is putting off announcing the job offer until I submit my paperwork - why would she delay someone else's job offer because of my paperwork
    • I asked about the start day of the position, as if it was after christmas I would start applying to christmas casual postions - she said "no we definitely want someone to start before christmas" - why would she discourage me from applying elsewhere?
    • If she isn't going to announce it until the 13th and wants this person to start before christmas - wouldn't everyone else need to give notice at their current job? I don't....
    • She wants me to come down, deliver the paperwork pretty much as soon as I turn up in VIC
    • She kept saying "I cannot make an official formal job offer until paperwork is submitted - my hands are tied by HR
    • The recruitment process was lengthy and they flippantly said in the interview - we only safety screen the successful applicant, as it costs us too much money and time otherwise (i.e. 2x reference checks at 1/2 hr each, $80 federal police check, $80 working with children check)
    • They really have gone out of their way to help me! I was in town the week before they were officially commencing interviews, so they organised one early especially for me to fit my requirements.
    • We have chatted on the phone and she really seems impressed with me (my perception only) - we did the same degree, have similar career objectives
    • They discussed promotions with me at my interview - i.e. they said I should consider applying to the next position up right away. I told them I wanted the experience in this position before I moved up. They seemed happy.

But anyway, as I said she cannot announce anything official, and my rent won't be paid with assumptions lol! What do you guys reckon? Does it sound as though I have the job? As she cannot tell me anything definite,it's doing my head in. If I don't get the job I shouldn't be spending any money! But if I get the job I would like to order christmas lunch, buy christmas presents and new work clothes!

On a lighter note, I found out I am definitely graduating 9 December, as I passed all my classes!! (3 Distinctions and 1 Credit) woohoo!!

Ok, take a deep breath Casey and let it out. You've got a lot of pressure on your shoulders, and I can tell because of how you phrased everything. You're nitpicking this to death. Don't let your worry end up casting you out of the final candidacy.

All you can control in this situation is you. So I suggest making the requisite submissions for the paper work, and let it go. It is what it is. And then I would start applying to other jobs because nothing is guaranteed in the job world. Good luck, and I know you'll do GREAT.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

For what it's worth, in the past when I've said "I can't make you an official offer until xx", what I have actually meant was basically "I am making you an offer I just can't call it that quite yet" ...usually because of some HR red-tape type stuff... like paperwork But that's just me.

Really, all you can do is try to relax, and show them that you're willing and happy to do whatever paperwork/process you need to do in order to get the job. Judging on what you've written, it does sound as if they are targeting you as the successful candidate. And waiting for the official word is HARD, I know... but you'll get there BEST of luck to you!
      We collided and fell out of nothingness... scattering stars like dust

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
        Ok, take a deep breath Casey and let it out. You've got a lot of pressure on your shoulders, and I can tell because of how you phrased everything. You're nitpicking this to death. Don't let your worry end up casting you out of the final candidacy.

All you can control in this situation is you. So I suggest making the requisite submissions for the paper work, and let it go. It is what it is. And then I would start applying to other jobs because nothing is guaranteed in the job world. Good luck, and I know you'll do GREAT.
        Yep, definately nit-picking it to death! I'm just trying to suss it out so I can figure out what to do next. We're both just stressed because we don't know for certain where my next paycheck is coming from, especially so soon to christmas!!! Thanks for the advice, I just need to realise that there is nothing I can do now to change the final outcome. In regards to other jobs, it looks as though I will have two more job interviews in the week I move down, so that's good, but since they haven't booked a certain day&time you never know. Plus those two jobs won't start until after Christmas. I'm just gonna be annoyed if I don't get this job after all the running around, and not applying to Christmas casual positions.

Originally posted by michy View Post
        For what it's worth, in the past when I've said "I can't make you an official offer until xx", what I have actually meant was basically "I am making you an offer I just can't call it that quite yet" ...usually because of some HR red-tape type stuff... like paperwork But that's just me.

Really, all you can do is try to relax, and show them that you're willing and happy to do whatever paperwork/process you need to do in order to get the job. Judging on what you've written, it does sound as if they are targeting you as the successful candidate. And waiting for the official word is HARD, I know... but you'll get there BEST of luck to you!
        Yeah, that's the impression I have gotten - a few people have said they have been told the same thing. But it's good to hear it from someone who has actually said it! She was really happy that I obviously went to a lot of effort to get this paperwork done sooner, but obviously with the circumstances understood. I'm just gonna have fun playing the waiting game!!! Thanks!

UPDATE: She sent me an email today asking for me to bring my degree etc down on the day I move down as she wants to have them on file....

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post

UPDATE: She sent me an email today asking for me to bring my degree etc down on the day I move down as she wants to have them on file....
          Sounds promising! Definitely keep us posted

Comment

I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            She called me today to let me know "we would like to offer you the job, on the contingency that you submit the receipt of your working with children check!"
            wooohooo Now all she wants me to do is get back to her with a confirmed start date (she said she was flexible, as long as I started 14-17th) so I reckon I will start Tues 14th or Wed 15th!

Comment

Congratulations! Thats awesome!

Comment

CONGRATS!!!!! Very Happy for you!
                NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Yay!!! Congrats!! That must be a huge relief!

Comment

Working...
                  X