Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to get the ball rolling--- advice requested

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some tips/advice on how to get the ball rolling for our move to the west coast. My BF and I have an end goal of Summer 2012. I live in NJ... he lives in Southern California. I am a single mom with 2 kids.

We were throwing around the idea of me trying to get a summer job or internship this coming summer of 2011 so that we can have a trial run since we've never lived together or even on the same coast for that matter...

In any case, does anyone who is closing or has closed the distance have any advice for how to look for work in another state when you still have a few months to go? I know that I need to build up my savings and pay down my debt... but I'm not sure what else I need to take care of so that we can plan for the move...

Thanks in advance!

Hello there!!

Definitely save money! Moving can be so expensive. I think a summer internship/job in 2011 is a great idea that way you could make some contacts in the work world and test out living together.

As for job hunting....it kind of depends what field you are in or what kind of work you are looking for?

Comment

If this helps at all, I made this blog post about monetary considerations that some have found helpful:

https://members.lovingfromadistance....r-the-Big-Move

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
        Hello there!!

Definitely save money! Moving can be so expensive. I think a summer internship/job in 2011 is a great idea that way you could make some contacts in the work world and test out living together.

As for job hunting....it kind of depends what field you are in or what kind of work you are looking for?

I am in the Event Planning industry... if that helps...

Comment

I would research some companies that interest you in that area and then maybe ask to meet up with them for an informational interview while you are on a visit or during the summer before you move there. It would be great to have contacts in the industry that could help you find work when you move there!

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
            If this helps at all, I made this blog post about monetary considerations that some have found helpful:

https://members.lovingfromadistance....r-the-Big-Move
            Thank you! I have copied to information for my future reference and I forwarded it to my SO.

Comment

I have a meeting in January with a VP from ISES. (International Special Events Society) I have explained my situation to him and he said that he can help me make some connections. I'm hoping that something comes of that but kind of stuck for what else to do.

Comment

I too would like to know how to get the ball rolling. But right now I don't have much money and desperately need a job. And we don't know who is going to move to whose state. I guess I could try to find an internship where he is if I don't have any other offers by then.

Comment

Working...
                X