Disregard this post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disregard this post.

I didn't want to make another blog.. and I need to prattle. It helps me think. I went and had a looksee at the Aussie immigration site. I'm glad I did, but I'm also slightly daunted by it.

Why is is so expensive? I thought the visa for PR in Canada was bad, but now I see that $500 is nothing. At least not compared to how much Australia wants. I looked at a bunch of different options, and like I suspected, it wont be half as easy as Obi seems to think. The working holiday program will give him a year. I'm thinking we'll need three years minimum. He could get in on a working holiday visa, then apply for PR - but it's more expensive that way in the long run.

If I sponsor him, it's $1,700 AUD. *Blinks*

I had a look to see if he could come in via a work visa, but the wizard couldn't suggest anything based on the information I could provide. Obviously he doesn't have a sponsor, and that's a problem if you're not going for the WHP.

We have a lot to discuss. I wish I could open PDFs on this laptop.

What could we do? We can take the money from our savings and I can sponsor him. I'm pretty sure I need to be in Australia to do that though. So, we'd be going back to long distance. (I need to check this.)

We could let him enter Australia on the WHP and extend it for a second year, risking him being rejected. Or hope that within the year he'll find an employer who'd want to sponsor him. Or I could sponsor him from within Australia this way. This would be a lot of trusting to luck though.

We could go home for just one year or two, instead of three. But if I don't pop those babies out fast enough I'm going to be stuck as a single parent on Centrelink until baby two is ready to fly. I'd rather jump off the harbor bridge than go back on benefits. Seriously, Australian tax payers have given me more than enough!

I could have baby two in Canada, I guess... then swim through all the paperwork required to get baby two his/her Aussie citizenship from a distance... and not have my family with me for the second bout. It's an option, right? Obi's family would likely be very helpful to have around anyway. But I'd have to get PR so I can have decent inexpensive health cover. I guess I could do that from within Canada. I'm not likely to be working at that time anyway, and I can stay in Canada for six months if I'm not working.

I should write all this down for when I present this case to Obi. Thinking thinking...
    Other people can feel free to come and think about their visas in this thread too. Let's brainstorm!
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Hun, you guys live together and have done so for over a year - apply for the de facto visa. As a sponsor, if you don't make the minimum required to 'support' him, then you can have a family member sign a notarized statement that they agree to cover costs for taking care of him should you be unable to. You don't need to be in Australia to apply last I checked. Read the partner migration booklet.

Also: Australiaforum.com is an awesome resource. Wanderer on there knows her stuff.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Awesome thanks! It's hard to understand most of it when you cant access the pdfs >< but what I have is scary enough to make him look at the pdfs, and really that's what I need most.

The defacto visa is still a whopping $1700 though lol. It's great to know I don't have to be home to do it however. That's one thing Australia has over Canada at any rate. I currently don't have a family member who could support him though. She'd lie and say she could, but if she had to prove it we'd be stuffed. Do I need to prove I have an income, or will proof of savings be enough? Obviously if we go back together, I wont have an income right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
        Awesome thanks! It's hard to understand most of it when you cant access the pdfs >< but what I have is scary enough to make him look at the pdfs, and really that's what I need most.

The defacto visa is still a whopping $1700 though lol. It's great to know I don't have to be home to do it however. That's one thing Australia has over Canada at any rate. I currently don't have a family member who could support him though. She'd lie and say she could, but if she had to prove it we'd be stuffed. Do I need to prove I have an income, or will proof of savings be enough? Obviously if we go back together, I wont have an income right away.
        The Partner Migration Booklet is pretty clear and easy to understand, so you'll be glad once you can open it - it's much more friendly than the immi site. What you need to prove is the minimum income, and last I heard it's pretty low - I don't know what it is exactly, sorry. I double checked the migration booklet for you, and you can definitely apply while outside the country, so you're fine on that.

Comment

You're awesome you know that? This site is handy dandy too.

I know like everything else we'll get past this. And once it's done it's done. It's just it always seem like the world is ending at first! I'm sure you know what I mean.

Comment

You're awesome you know that? This site is handy dandy too.

I know like everything else we'll get past this. And once it's done it's done. It's just it always seem like the world is ending at first! I'm sure you know what I mean.
            Dear god yes. The fact that I have to go on a Work & Holiday Visa, which has more restrictions than the Working Holiday Visa Canadians can get (grr), then we can finally have a chance to apply for the spouse/de facto visa (depends on if we're married, but I'm pretty sure we will be as he's made it clear what his intentions are, LOL), and all of the tripping about, forms, and frigging MONEY (omg, money) that goes into it... I'm gonna get my first gray hair from his. XD

Comment

No doubt we'll both get grays from this! And at the end of it all we'll be so bloody broke we can't even buy dye to cover it up

Australia really is God's country though, so it'll be worth it. You'll be staying there forever? (For the foreseeable future I mean)

Comment

No doubt we'll both get grays from this! And at the end of it all we'll be so bloody broke we can't even buy dye to cover it up

Australia really is God's country though, so it'll be worth it. You'll be staying there forever? (For the foreseeable future I mean)
                Yes, definitely the forseeable future. Better jobs, better economy, Matt's family is awesome, so we'll probably live there for awhile. The only way I see that changing is if he gets a really good job offer elsewhere, but it'd have to be near my family in that case.

Just hoping and praying he gets a job soon, as pretty much everything is hinging on that and myself getting enough saved up here to move over... I try to not think about it so I don't get depressed. XD

Comment

You're probably the most capable woman I know, especially when it comes to money. Don't be worrying too much

Comment

You're probably the most capable woman I know, especially when it comes to money. Don't be worrying too much
                    Thank you, that really means a lot to me. Really my only worry is that he's in such a shit spot in NSW that it may take him ages to get a job. So it makes me go rrrgr.

Comment

Working...
                    X