Trying to close the distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to close the distance

My SO and I have set a date (which you can see is below in my signature) to when I'll be moving to New Jersey to be with him. The only problem, which doesn't exactly stop me from moving but just puts a damper on it, is the money issue. Dan has a job, that pays well, but he's also going to school. So, out of the 7 day week he's only working 3 or 4 days. He has things to pay for too. Like gas to get to and from school, or text books, or other daily miscellaneous things.

I, on the other hand, barely have a job. I'm working one long day every other weekend. It's been about 2 full months with the company and I've only made $500. With Christmas, getting my permit, and my daily miscellaneous things, I only have not even $100 of that left. I've recently been trying (unsuccessfully so far) to sell some things on Ebay for extra cash, and I've been applying and stalking Craigslist like never before. I just can't seem to catch a break.

So, my reason for posting this thread is to see if anyone has any ideas on how to make some extra cash. It would be greatly appreciated.

I understand how you feel; I've done a lot of scrabbling since I graduated college to save cash/pay off debt. I would do a couple of things: get on a strict budget, examine your cash flow and determine if you need to perhaps pick up a second, part-time job, and just keep finding ways to get the snowball rolling. All of the little things really add up.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Well after seeing how fast everything can add up, I'm definitely going to think twice about swiping my card. I've been looking for a second job, or even one to completely replaced the one I have now. But no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jules1610 View Post
        Well after seeing how fast everything can add up, I'm definitely going to think twice about swiping my card. I've been looking for a second job, or even one to completely replaced the one I have now. But no luck.
        Yeah, it's scary when you see where your money goes. It really makes you stop and think about if you really immediately need those purchases.

I know the job search is hard, but don't give up. Actually, if you can even get a job ot make quick cash, like working in a restaurant that gives good times, it'll really boost your bottom line.

I'm working hard to save up money so I can move to Australia - and since it's more expensive there, I have to save a lot of cash. I'm aiming for $10k after paying for health insurance, shipping, and travel costs. It's not easy, but I can tell you having done it now for 6 months that slow and steady really does add up. Do you make savigns a priority? I make savings a line in my budget, and I pay it every pay period, like a bill.

Comment

I've been trying to get a job like that. Every employer is looking for experience around here, and I'm getting pretty fed up with it. How am I to get experience when no one will give it to me? Saving is my #1 priority now, I said it was before but now I mean it.

It really was scary to see how much I spent after it all added up. Most of the things I actually spent money on was necessary, so now that I've taken care of that stuff I can start saving for real.

Comment

I am sort of in the same boat, the job I have I make only $240 a month (its just a baby sitting job for 2 kids after school)
            I love watching the kids and one reason I haven't really gone out there and started looking for a job at Target or any other stores is because I would love to find another kid sitting job so I can keep watching these 2 kids... and because of that every paycheck I make I'm saving every cent. I find when I go to a store if there is something I want I hold on to it and think about why I need it, is it something that I really need? or can I save my money instead?, before I go to pay I find I've put back whatever it was I was holding and I walk out of the store with lost less money spent
            Join the Photography Group Today!

Comment

Originally posted by MissShortie View Post
              I am sort of in the same boat, the job I have I make only $240 a month (its just a baby sitting job for 2 kids after school)
              I love watching the kids and one reason I haven't really gone out there and started looking for a job at Target or any other stores is because I would love to find another kid sitting job so I can keep watching these 2 kids... and because of that every paycheck I make I'm saving every cent. I find when I go to a store if there is something I want I hold on to it and think about why I need it, is it something that I really need? or can I save my money instead?, before I go to pay I find I've put back whatever it was I was holding and I walk out of the store with lost less money spent
              There's a lot of people who need an au pair/live-in sitter. Have you looked at Craig's list?

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                There's a lot of people who need an au pair/live-in sitter. Have you looked at Craig's list?
                No I haven't, I'm to nervous about checking out Craig's list. I do have a site I check often for nanny jobs and all called Care.com also sittercity.com but I prefer Care that's even my boss found me for the job I have now

Comment

Originally posted by MissShortie View Post
                  No I haven't, I'm to nervous about checking out Craig's list. I do have a site I check often for nanny jobs and all called Care.com also sittercity.com but I prefer Care that's even my boss found me for the job I have now
                  Couldn't the people on those sites be just as need of being leery of? I mean... it's still the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                    Couldn't the people on those sites be just as need of being leery of? I mean... it's still the internet.
                    Very true, no argument there, I do like the background checks on it and feel a bit safer then just an ad on Craig's list. Either way I'm always either having someone come along with me to an interview and letting people know where I'll be all that safe stuff!

Comment

I can see what you're saying about craigslist, there is some sketchy stuff on there. But that's where I found the job I have now, the weekend one. And I just got a phone call for an interview tomorrow, after I replying to another ad. I really suggest you check it out though. They have a section for Child Care, I don't know what exactly it has there but I've seen it up at the top a few times. I signed up for Care.com after I read your post, and I've applied to a few jobs in my area. If I get anything back I think I'll owe you one.

Comment

Working...
                      X