Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

well wow- england to america visa advice anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well wow- england to america visa advice anyone?

Right I've really thrown a spanner in the works for me and my SO now, and I'm trying to scramble for information, I was wondering if anyone could help??

Up until now, the plan has been for me to go back to Ohio on a student visa for my PhD. The past month or so I realise I have been miserable in school. I hate the classes and the only thing I like doing is the lab work, which is only a tiny amount of the work I do. Saying I do get accepted onto the PhD program, how do I know it won't be more of the same? Classes in America nearly killed me last year, and they weren't even grad-level classes. Right now I am seriously considering going to the doctors, after my SO left last week, it's sent me into this pit of despair and depression. I can't even consider going on a student visa when undergrad classes make me this miserable.

This has all come to ahead over the last few days, and my SO fully supports me in what I want to do, but I can tell right now he is freaking out as much as I am. It seems like our only alternate option is the K1 visa, then applying for conditional residency afterwards. But I've been searching and searching and keep getting conflicting costs and such. I've just registered on visajourney to see what info I can get. Right now I see we have 2 options:

1)Follow my head: I go stay with my SO after my final bachelors exams are done for a month at the end of may through to June. Return to England, then start the process. In that time I can get a job and get some more cash together.
    2) Follow my heart: We start the paperwork now, and I get to be with him sooner.

But does anyone know the cost range we are looking at?? I've heard I need all sorts of forms, which cost money, medical exams, something about biometric... I am so freaking confused and overwhelmed.... I also wanted to know what the general timescale for this is too. can someone help, or point me to the actual correct information? I am a mess at the moment =/

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

From what I know, you will need at least $2000-2500. Probably more. And that's not including money you need to save for when you get the US and can't work right away. And your SO (or a joint-sponsor) will have to have sufficient funds in their bank account or a high enough income to prove that they will be able to support you (so that you don't become a public charge: ie go on food stamps or something).

As for time: it really depends. From sending in the first paperwork to actually getting the visa, I have seen anything from 4 months to 1 year. Or more if there are RFE (request for evidence).

You said you already signed up at VJ. That's good. They can answer pretty much any question you have. Plus you can look around at people's timelines to see how long things took for them.
    Hope this helps

Comment

As someone who's been in your position, I want to encourage you to take a big step back, relax, and sleep on the visa thing. When you start reading and researching, there's so much information that gets thrown at you that it's extremely overwhelming. Approach it like a research project - give yourself 1-2 weeks to read, take a break, absorb what you've read, then continue on. It'll help a LOT. I think you'll be able to better answer your question then.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I agree with Silviar. When I first started looking at visa stuff, it was soooo overwhelming. Heck, it still is. But I forced myself to take breaks. To organize my information and then not look at it or any of the websites for a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
          I agree with Silviar. When I first started looking at visa stuff, it was soooo overwhelming. Heck, it still is. But I forced myself to take breaks. To organize my information and then not look at it or any of the websites for a week or so.
          Ditto. I think I cried for about 3 hours, I was so overwhelmed and convinced we'd never make it through.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

you are both right I think I need to step back and relax for a moment. I find myself getting angry with my SO, though he's being infuriating today. The first paragraph in his last email said "I just don't want you to feel pressured into things you don't want to do" then the next paragraph: "tbh the PhD route will be best for us" wtf, have I been talking to myself for the last couple of days? may be best for us but not best for me and my mental health at all.... I think I just need to stand back and breathe for the time being. I think it will all come down to my results in june

Comment

I wrote up our K-1 journey as we went, and then our AOS journey as well. We started Jan of 2010, and finished (green card in hand) December of 2010. Took about five months from first paperwork sent in, to visa approval.
              K1
              AOS
              Prices have raised slightly since 2010.
              You only need money in the bank if you (or your co-sponsor) don't make more than 125% above the federal poverty line. A look at 2009 requirements for an idea: click. If you are above that, no need to show anything of assets, banking history, etc. It's much harder to qualify using assets, and most people try not to go that way.

Just throwing this in, because these were all questions that weighed heavily on my mind as we were talking about the K1. Knowing what you're facing can help with when to do things I think.

Comment

@ garnet- thank you for that, I'm sure it will come in use. My SO just informed my he's well over the 125% (alright for some ) which is good as I, the poor student have no savings or a job. It looks like we are waiting for my results in june, then I have to make a decision; the PhD or K1 visa. I hope I start liking my work again by that time, the K1 processing times seem to be getting longer and longer =/

Comment

The one piece of advice I can give you, certainly for the cost of the forms etc is look at and bookmark USCIS.gov (this is the official us immigration website) under forms it has every form you need, plus the prices and information on how to fill it out.

You may also want to put USCIS on speed dial on your phone, me and my wife would ring them up about 3 times a week to make sure we had the right forms and that they were filled out correctly.
                  Love is the only thing that can cross all boundaries and cannot be stopped. It crosses countries, continents, oceans and even the stars themselves. It makes peace in the middle of war, and stops hatred in it's tracks. -Anon

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. - Apostle Paul in his first letter to the Church at Corinth (1 Corinthians 13:3-5)

Comment

Working...
                  X