Wedding in the USA, living in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding in the USA, living in the UK

So...even before he proposed we were discussing where we would live.

We both like the idea of Scotland, UK. And I'm a citizien of the UK so thats great by me.

But because he has a much larger family we would more than likely have the wedding in the States.

Now in theroy to me this would also be one of the most straight forward ways to do it.

Him getting a visa into the UK will be easier (in theory - dont want to jinx us!) once we're married. I've had a good read through the immigration website and it's fairly straightforward. (Although of course we'll look into all the legal stuff in detail)

And I assume we can get married in the States pretty easily if I'm not planning to live there. I mean people go abroad to get married all the time right?

But that what I wanted to check - any thoughts, knowledge, experience on just getting married abroad. ie Not living there afterwards. In particular wedding in the States. Is there any other paperwork I have to consider. Is there a specific visa for that or can it be done on a tourist visa?

Thank you all
    Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

As far as I can tell, you can come over on vacation and get married without anything special. But the border guards may or may not accept that. Coming in with the intent to marry (no matter how obvious it is you're going home after) can cause their claws to come out.
    If you come over on vacation and decide to marry then, it's no problem.
    You don't want to lie, but telling the truth may get you turned away.
    Maybe there is a special visa or permit though that I am unaware of. I am only speaking of what I learned when Rane was trying to come over for a couple of weeks, get married, go home. We decided against it in the end, because we didn't want to lie, or tell the truth.

Comment

hmmmm there may be a permit or something for a vacation wedding? I would go on visajourney and ask, they were very helpful to me when I was in panic mode the other day, someone on there might have a better idea. I see where you're coming from- people opt for destination weddings all the time, there should be some sort of fast track permit to make that possible.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
      <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
      The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
      <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
      <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
      Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
      Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

OK having been three done that (I lived in the UK but got married in the USA) I think I may be able to help here.

There is no reason why you cannot fly over on the visa waiver program and get married. Though you may want to tell the border guards that you are coming over for a holiday (I personally told the truth and got asked some serious questions, but I reassured them I was going home afterwords. My Job in the military helped with that )
        What you may need to look out for are the rules on weddings in each state. Some states require a blood test/DNA test before the wedding, others require a time period of being together in the states to marry. All of them require a marriage license (available through the local county court house).

I am not sure where you are getting married, but I know for a fact that texas requires a 3 day waiting period after the marriage license has been issued before you can hold the ceremony.

The really good news is this: Once you have got married in the USA, the UK will recognize the marriage as being valid, so there will be no complications when it comes to him entering the UK with you in the Europeans only line (I say that because in a very few countries around the world the UK does not recognize the marriage without some serious paperwork)

Hope this helps God Bless
        Love is the only thing that can cross all boundaries and cannot be stopped. It crosses countries, continents, oceans and even the stars themselves. It makes peace in the middle of war, and stops hatred in it's tracks. -Anon

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. - Apostle Paul in his first letter to the Church at Corinth (1 Corinthians 13:3-5)

Comment

Just to sort of reinforce-- definitely ask on visajourney about this. But also don't give the border patrol any reason to turn you away. Say you're coming over to visit family and friends (you are because they are your future family!) or that you are coming to attend a wedding (which is definitely true). If you're asked whose wedding say "Oh my best friend's" (your SO is your best friend, right? hehe)

I wouldn't call that lying, I'd call it being smart. Just like right now my SO is coming to live with me for 6 months (the entire span of his tourist visa) but his return flight is 1 month after he gets here. To not raise suspicion at the border. He'll just change the date after he gets that good stamp

Comment

I would advise against telling flat out lies. They find out, this could seriously come to bite you. You never know what the future holds, and lying at the border just isn't wise.
            I suggest giving brief answers, don't offer anything that isn't specifically asked.

Bring a lot of proof of your ties to the UK. Job, rent, bills, school, whatever. Just that you are expected back.

There is just no reason to knowingly lie at the border. The laws exist for a reason, the guards are there for a reason. People that try to trick the system just make it that much harder on everyone else.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone.

Man, it really is a minefield!

I dont think I would lie. I personally feel with legal stuff honesty is the best policy. If your not doing anything wrong...why try to hide it?

Like this visit to my SO is my second 90 day trip on the VWS in a 12 month period and they took me off seperatly and asked extra questions but I had a TON of paperwork (proof of job to return to, bills, savings in the UK etc etc) and they seemed very impressed with that

So on the assumption I can come to get married on the VWS I'll make sure I have all my paperwork again.

Thank you again so much everyone!
              Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Working...
              X