Telling my boss I'm leaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telling my boss I'm leaving

Sorry I've been posting a lot. Man I need you guys. XD I need some advice about my job.

So, I work a professional job, and I'm in at a bit of a loss how to tell them that I'm leaving. Now that Matt and I have plans firmed up, I want to tell my boss that I'm quitting as of April 1st.

Since it takes over a month to fill a position, I plan to tell them by February 1st. I feel they deserve to know so they can get someone in here, and they're not going to boot me.

The problem is, I feel kind of weird saying "I'm quitting my job because I'm moving across the world to live with my Australian boyfriend and pursue my writing career full-time."

I'm going to be polite, but if anyone has any pointers on the best way to do it without sounding like a crazy person, I'd appreciate it.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Don'r be scared of your boss. Of course, you should be respectful and polite but what can he do? he has to "allow" you to quit and leave. And I'm sure he'll be happy for you when you tell him about your plans, even if he'll loose a great employee
    Just go for it and tell him as soon as possible Better early than later, because like you said, it takes some while to find someone new for your job.

Comment

"I'm going to travel the world to find myself"?
      "I need to see a man about a wallaby"?

I'll think about this at work, and might come up with something lol. It's nice of you to give so much notice though
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
        "I'm going to travel the world to find myself"?
        "I need to see a man about a wallaby"?

I'll think about this at work, and might come up with something lol. It's nice of you to give so much notice though
        I should just use the wallaby line. XD

Comment

First...don't worry about posting so much. That's what we are all here for!! <----big cheesy grin.

You are such a wonderful worker! Speak from your heart. It's not like this is a whim decision, you are a grown woman and don't need permission. Don't sweat, don't fret....and it will all work out. (Don't you DARE use that line on me.....I am the worrier! haha)...
          NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm not worried about permission - he has no right to dictate my life, I just want to leave on a positive note because I don't want to burn bridges. I'm hoping for some recommendations as well.

And you guys are all right. Thank you. *hugs to everyone*

Comment

I would just do what is right for you. If you give your notice too early, and they find someone, and you've already worked out your notice period, they may expect you to leave and you'll lose that money. Just give them whatever notice period you are required to and don't explain why you are leaving. Just keep it business. It's emotional for you but probably not for them. You've more than fulfilled your obligation to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                Thanks, guys. I'm not worried about permission - he has no right to dictate my life, I just want to leave on a positive note because I don't want to burn bridges. I'm hoping for some recommendations as well.

And you guys are all right. Thank you. *hugs to everyone*
                I'm sure you won't burn bridges! It's not like they expect people to work there foooorrreeevveerrr
                Good luck!

ps. Are you handing in a resignation letter? I usually do...just to keep it classy

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
                  ps. Are you handing in a resignation letter? I usually do...just to keep it classy
                  Yes, I will be giving a resignation letter as well, but I'm going to tell him in person first.

@ Eternity - technically, I'm only obligated to give two weeks, but doing that is pretty much fucked for us here. It will take them about the two months to get another person in because HR takes that long in higher education.

I think your advice is really good, but in my case it's unnecessary - they really love me here and I have experience/knowledge they desperately need, so if I needed to stay longer, they'd be excited. And if they weren't - well, the good news is that I plan to quit regardless come April. This is for my career pursuit as well as closing the distance. I can temp the rest of the year if it were necessary.

Comment

You will be perfectly fine No matter how many times you practice it will come out perfectly! Best of luck!

Comment

My SO just handed in his resignation letter so he could close the distance with me. It basically said he was quitting for "purely personal reasons". He gave a month notice as well. He worked there for 10 years!!! But they all think it's great that he's taking this "opportunity" to move in with me (to another country) and say that they'll probably still have his position open by the time he comes back.

I guess my point is, people can be amazingly supportive and optimistic. Tell them you have a chance to move to another country and you wouldn't miss it for the world

Comment

Its up to the relationship you have with your boss how much to tell him. You can keep it as simple as saying you're moving abroad, or you could add to that if you want by saying you've received an opportunity (not job-related) to do so, and want to pursue it while its still feasible. No need to mention your SO, or writing, although you wouldn't be the first to change careers, managers usually understand those things, and HR departments definitely do!
                        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey everyone - I just wanted to let you know I spoke with my overboss and supervisor, they both know that I'm leaving, and they're both very supportive - although my supervisor (we're close) said she had a mini funk because of it, LOL. They're both excited for me. My overboss even said "Are there other plans in the works?" All excited - someone wants to hear news of weddings, lol! I told him yes and that he'd know when they arrived.

Now I get to tell my program director. I'm going to pop up today. My timing apparently is good - it sounds like one of our major researchers might flip-flop departments again, which means all of the things I do for her will be taken over by another and my position would be not so necessary.

But that's not my problem. Australia, here I come.

*clutches tummy* Ohgawdsoexcitedbitofnervesbutsoexcitedhnnnngh

Comment

Yay! *Does an excited little dance*
                            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                              Yay! *Does an excited little dance*
                              Now I just hope I don't do the slingshot of 'missing everyone' once I move. Luckily, I do have a support group there in Australia - friends (looking at you, E!) and Matt's family who all love me and welcome me into their home and life... I think/hope that'll mitigate the whole feeling lonely stuff. XD

Can't wait to have an alum badge.

Comment

Working...
                              X