Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*drumroll* And It's Official, I'm Leaving for Australia on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is exciting news and I can't believe I'm just now seeing this post! Congrats on having a date set for closing the distance! I am so happy for you!
    Join the Photography Group Today!

Comment

Originally posted by MissShortie View Post
      This is exciting news and I can't believe I'm just now seeing this post! Congrats on having a date set for closing the distance! I am so happy for you!
      Psssh, where have YOU been? ;P

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!! I Wish you both the best!!!!!

I hope to follow in your footsteps soon!! (minus all the crazy moving selling stuff..and of course...to Scotland heheh) Congrats again!!

Comment

Woohoo *cheers* best news I've heard in a long time.

Comment

OMG, congrats!! That's so wonderful to hear and really gives me hope in ending my international LDR. I wish you and your SO the best!

I must ask: how did you go about getting a visa? Did you work out getting a job there? The visa requirements for Austrailia may be a bit different, but its still good to know. Trying to answer these two questions is what's keeping my SO and I apart, so hearing how you managed would be greatly appreciated!!

Comment

Woo! How exciting! You give hope to all the international LDR couples.
              All the best!

Comment

That's amazing!! I'm so happy for you(:

Comment

Originally posted by Skye View Post
                  OMG, congrats!! That's so wonderful to hear and really gives me hope in ending my international LDR. I wish you and your SO the best!

I must ask: how did you go about getting a visa? Did you work out getting a job there? The visa requirements for Austrailia may be a bit different, but its still good to know. Trying to answer these two questions is what's keeping my SO and I apart, so hearing how you managed would be greatly appreciated!!
                  I applied for a Work and Holiday Visa, which allows me to enter the country and stay for a year, and also allows me to seek employment of no more than 6 months at a time per employer. I don't have a job lined up, but casual employment's pretty easy to get, so I'm not too concerned about it.

I'm also going over with a savings account of about $11k, and a place lined up to stay with my SO. We want to live together and make sure everything goes well with that before we tie the knot.

They key to visas I've found is to find one that somewhat mimics what you want to do. For example, many European countries allow au pairs if not working holidays for US citizens, and you could look into that. My American friend with an SO in Germany is going as an au pair to see if she likes living there and so they can date for awhile close distance.

Above all, though, I planned. I started planning for this last May. I figured out how to get the money I needed, I cut all of my costs, and we stayed flexible with how to achieve the goal of having me get over.

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                    Psssh, where have YOU been? ;P
                    I know right?? lol! I really don't know how that got by me!
                    Join the Photography Group Today!

Comment

thats great. hope you have a wonderful time.

Comment

I'm VERY excited for you!!!

Comment

I applied for a Work and Holiday Visa, which allows me to enter the country and stay for a year, and also allows me to seek employment of no more than 6 months at a time per employer. I don't have a job lined up, but casual employment's pretty easy to get, so I'm not too concerned about it.

I'm also going over with a savings account of about $11k, and a place lined up to stay with my SO. We want to live together and make sure everything goes well with that before we tie the knot.

They key to visas I've found is to find one that somewhat mimics what you want to do. For example, many European countries allow au pairs if not working holidays for US citizens, and you could look into that. My American friend with an SO in Germany is going as an au pair to see if she likes living there and so they can date for awhile close distance.

Above all, though, I planned. I started planning for this last May. I figured out how to get the money I needed, I cut all of my costs, and we stayed flexible with how to achieve the goal of having me get over.
                          Thats very well organized and planned out. Really great to have a decent savings until you get well settled. Instead of me going to Europe, my SO wants to come here, so we're trying to figure it out; the US is so strict with immigration. Thanks so much for sharing how you did it! Cheers to you ending the distance!!

Comment

I really like this part.
                            It is so so so important that people plan what they are doing. See the vision. Make the plan. Cut costs.
                            Also, as you said, be flexible. You know, if you set a hard deadline i.e. "I will climb the mountain by June" and then June comes and goes, and you are still at the bottom of the mountain, you will be defeated. But, by being flexible, you know you want to get over that mountain, and still realize it may not happen in June.
                            So, GREAT! So happy for you, too!
                            Very smart to split up the tickets, even though it takes a little extra work.
                            WOOOHOO

Comment

Originally posted by Skye View Post
                              Thats very well organized and planned out. Really great to have a decent savings until you get well settled. Instead of me going to Europe, my SO wants to come here, so we're trying to figure it out; the US is so strict with immigration. Thanks so much for sharing how you did it! Cheers to you ending the distance!!
                              Thank you, Skye. I know the immigration for the US is often listed as being very frustrating. You may want to look around visajourney.com - it's a wonderful community for handling US immigration, and they may have some guides/suggestions for you.

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                              I really like this part.
                              It is so so so important that people plan what they are doing. See the vision. Make the plan. Cut costs.
                              Also, as you said, be flexible. You know, if you set a hard deadline i.e. "I will climb the mountain by June" and then June comes and goes, and you are still at the bottom of the mountain, you will be defeated. But, by being flexible, you know you want to get over that mountain, and still realize it may not happen in June.
                              So, GREAT! So happy for you, too!
                              Very smart to split up the tickets, even though it takes a little extra work.
                              WOOOHOO
                              Thank you, Frank! I think one of the things people focus too much on is a hard date that's years out, or alternately, too soft of a date. What's usually better is focusing on the goals you need to achieve before moving. Planning can make the difference in a permanent move and one where someone has to leave. I know we've seen many couples here who've had to separate again due to financial hardship. Unfortunately, money is involved in almost all aspects of life - it's something we cannot avoid, so it's best to plan for ALL of one's needs in order to make a move successful.

And of course, I couldn't have done it without all of you amazing people to support me through the good and the bad. Thank you, everyone, for being an awesome community and a home. A refuge from those who don't get it. I couldn't have kept my sanity without all of you.

Comment

And of course, I couldn't have done it without all of you amazing people to support me through the good and the bad. Thank you, everyone, for being an awesome community and a home. A refuge from those who don't get it. I couldn't have kept my sanity without all of you.
                                Hear Hear....Though I am a long ways from closing the distance..I truly agree...this place is a refuge...
                                NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X