renewing passport with a visa in it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

renewing passport with a visa in it

I am about to apply for a uk visa but my Canadian passport expires in April 2012. The visa is good for two years so I will need to renew my passport while over there. Does anyone know if this is possible to do if you have a visa in your passport? Is it easier to renew my passport before I leave? Does anyone know anything about this?

You can renew your passport while in the UK, you have to do it at the Canadian Consulate. I'm not sure if it will affect the visa at all, but i'm going to say if you are worried about that then i'd definitely renew your passport before you apply for the visa.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

People renew their passports all the time while on a visa. Check with the country that's issuing the visa - many visas are now electronic and tied to your passport number, so you may not need ot worry - ask them if they need to restamp a new passport or if you can just inform them of the new number or what.

Most consulates have an FAQ section - it might even be in there.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

My passport was going to run out when I was on my exchange year, so I just renewed mine beforehand- for me they added 20 years onto the time I had left on the current passport. But people do this sort of thing all the time, like change their name if they marry on a visa, I think it's just a matter of contacting your consulate in the UK.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
        <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
        The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
        <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
        <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
        Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
        Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Don't worry, this is totally possible and happens all the time. When my SO needed to get a new passport, they just stapled his old passport (with the visa) to the new passport. I'm sure other countries have more sophisticated ways of doing it, though.

Comment

Working...
          X