Planning a Wedding within the law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning a Wedding within the law

Planning a wedding is hard enough.... but when your SO lives in another country it adds a whole 'nother dimension of legal issues to consider.

I wrote about it on my blog:
    https://thefakesarah.blogspot.com/20...eartaches.html

Has anyone else been through all this?

Sure have. My SO and I are closing the distance, and in order to permanently close the distance we'll have to get married.

You gotta take the time to not just read everything departments present, but you need to make sure it's the most up-to-date as well as pertinent information. I've not found the legalese to contradict itself at all, but rather it's simply the way it's written that throws people off. It's not written in easy language, and most people are pretty hyped up when they read these things, so it's no surprise that it feels all overwhelming and contradictory. My job currently is to read that sort of legalese. It's what I do, so for me, it wasn't that painful, but even I had questions.

FYI, proof that he has ties to the UK and therefore would go back would include a letter from his job/boss, bank statements, bills, a rental agreement if he has one - proof that he has commitments back in his country that would necessitate him going back home.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Working on it right now too. I'm trying to think of it as an exciting adventure more than a stressful nightmare. I mean, the internationalness just makes it more officially official right? Glass half full!
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Yep! Applying for a fiance visa for my SO I love organizational crap so even though it can be quite stressful, researching and organizing is definitely my thing!
        Keeping it "glass half full" like Zephii.

Comment

we are trying to figure out a way to shorten the distance, but not feeling like we are forced to get married. I want him to come here and visit (US) but it is sooooooo difficult even for a tourist visa for him (hes from mexico). It sucks. BUT we are being a bit creative, im looking for student grants and study abroad programs good luck with the wedding plans, hopefully you will have some good advice for me in the future!

Comment

Oh my goodness sweetie, your in almost the exact same situation as me. (We even have the same name!)

I'm from the UK, my SO is from the States. We want to get married here because he's family is way bigger. But then we will be living in the UK. (God willing...)

As I understand it, the immigration person is correct, you dont need any specific visa if your just getting married and plan to stay less than 90 days - normal VWS stuff. Look at it as a "Destination Wedding" - people get married abroad all the time!

I'm currently on my second 90 day trip and I got a second round of questioning at immigration because of it. I kinda figured I would so I brought everything!

The main things the worry about (IMHO) is your financial circumstance, both whilst your in the States and when you return. I brought with me:

Receipts from my currency exchange - proving I had the funds for my trip (including receipt for my prepaid Mastercard which is effectivly cash)
            Copies of my credit card statements, proving my additional funding should I need it. I also photocopied the actual credit cards - they thought that was hysterical! (Bless the immigration guys sense of humour)
            My employer that I left was really helpful and gave me a letter saying they would be happy to remploy me when I returned in April
            I also took copies of my original work contracts
            Proof of savings in the UK
            Bills/contracts in the UK. If he has a lease or mortgage a copy of that would be really helpful

They didnt even look at most of my stuff or read the letter from my employee - I think they were just glad to know I had it all.

Oh and MOST important of all - hes return ticket has to be booked! But I'm sure you knew that

Ok UK based stuff...

As long as your marriage is legal in the USA, there is no reason why it shouldnt be legal in the UK (again: Think destination weddings )
            We're planning on having my SO visit on the equivilant of the VWS, then speak to someone over here. But in theory if we're married he'll be able to come over on a tempoary visa because we're married and then after a certain time period (I think its a year) he can apply for "naturalisation" and become a full citizen.

This is the situation as I understand it at present. I could have easily msunderstood but the basics are once your married, in a country such as the UK, it shouldnt be TOO much of a problem moving to the same country.

Theres just a lot of paperwork and crap in between time.

HUGE best of luck with it, and the wedding planning. I know how stressful it is!
            Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
              Sure have. My SO and I are closing the distance, and in order to permanently close the distance we'll have to get married.

You gotta take the time to not just read everything departments present, but you need to make sure it's the most up-to-date as well as pertinent information. I've not found the legalese to contradict itself at all, but rather it's simply the way it's written that throws people off. It's not written in easy language, and most people are pretty hyped up when they read these things, so it's no surprise that it feels all overwhelming and contradictory. My job currently is to read that sort of legalese. It's what I do, so for me, it wasn't that painful, but even I had questions.

FYI, proof that he has ties to the UK and therefore would go back would include a letter from his job/boss, bank statements, bills, a rental agreement if he has one - proof that he has commitments back in his country that would necessitate him going back home.
              Wow! I have so many questions for you!!! But just to start with....

when it come to marriage visa, should I get my name changed on all my documents first, and then apply for a visa and how long does that usually take?
              Or, should I apply for a fiancé visa so I'll be able to go there right away? and get remarried in the UK so its a smoother transition?

Comment

Originally posted by London-FortCollins View Post

HUGE best of luck with it, and the wedding planning. I know how stressful it is!
                Thanks so much! It is certainly stressful! And thanks for the advice, I'll definitely make sure he brings a fair bit of documentation with him! But I think I worry about these things much more than he does!

Comment

Originally posted by OneForTheRomance View Post
                  Wow! I have so many questions for you!!! But just to start with....

when it come to marriage visa, should I get my name changed on all my documents first, and then apply for a visa and how long does that usually take?
                  Or, should I apply for a fiancé visa so I'll be able to go there right away? and get remarried in the UK so its a smoother transition?
                  If you're married, you won't be able to apply for a fiancee visa because you're not fiancee's - you're married. Doing so would mean once it's approved that when you submitted your marriage certification that they'd realize you came under false pretenses, and that'd be a serious no-no.

You can't get 'remarried' in the UK. You need to figure out where you're having your legal ceremony and that's the place where your marriage, legally speaking, occurs. If you decide to have a wedding ceremony but no legal paperwork in one place, that's just a ceremony - for legal purposes, immigration only cares about the legal certificate. It sounds to me like you don't know what you want to do. It's really hard to answer questions when I'm not sure which course of action you're taking.

As for how to do things, assuming you're still getting married in the US and then going to the UK, then get married, change your documents, then apply for the visa for the UK. It looks better if your married name is the name on all of your legal documents. Think about how the case officer is going to see things - s/he has no idea about your situation, and you need to make it as clear as possible for them for any question/proof they need.

Decide which visa route you want to take to get things situated best for you. The length of time for approval for a visa can probably be found on Immigration's website - it's usually there, anyways. And then get all of your paperwork in order. You can get everything ready, then wait to submit once you have the final documents in-hand: for example, if you get married, you can have all of the documents prepared that you can type in advance to show your married name, then make copies of what legal things need to have your name changed (like your social security card), then send it off along with the copy of the marriage certificate to UK immigration.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

@ OliveOyl-- my SO moved in with me temporarily with just a tourist visa. They normally stamp a 6 month visa (plus you can apply for an extension up to another 6 months!) After that, he'd have to stay out of the USA for the same amount of time he was in it, if not more, so as not to raise suspicion. But that's a potential full year of living together without a whole ton of paperwork or marriage!

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                      If you're married, you won't be able to apply for a fiancee visa because you're not fiancee's - you're married. Doing so would mean once it's approved that when you submitted your marriage certification that they'd realize you came under false pretenses, and that'd be a serious no-no.
                      Wow! Good to know!

And yes we are getting married in the US then living in the UK.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                      X