closing the distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

closing the distance?

Sorry im lazy and don't want to go through old post lol. But how did you close the distance when you lived on different Continents? Like I live in North america and him in Europe.
    He's said once that he would leave his family and friends to be with me, but we didn't have a serious discussion on it, he just said it in a passing conversation and i didn't want to go into it more. I mean leaving behind family and friends and everything. So can i get some story's, and opinions and comments?
    I love you Nathan <3
    sigpic
    5/25/09 <3

What do you mean how? Like, literally how (visa/passport etc) or how did you cope leaving your (other ) loved ones behind?

Comment

It all depends on both your situations really, and where you're both at.

I was totally willing to leave here to be with my man in Canada, as was he willing to come here to be with me in the UK. But, I will be moving out there because I only live with my parents, and he owns his own home and has a great job out there. Basicily things are already set up there and I can just move in with him like I did last year. There would be a lot more work to do if he came here. Plus, I much prefer it out there!

Comment

A lot of the international couples on here swear by a website called visajourney (I think). Also, if you use the search function, it's easier to find posts about topics than just scrolling through the old threads

Comment

At least you addmitted to being lazy. I can roll with that You should at least look at Silviar's "things learnt while closing the distance" (or, it sounds something like that ) thread though. It's a good place to be.

For us, it was Australia to Canada, and I think we're fairly unique in that to perminantly close the distance, neither of us is making a perminant move, at least for the forseeable future (and we have a soild ten year plan lol). It's more expensive. A lot more expensive. And it will be hard once we have kids and we know this, but right now, there just is no other way.
          I've been here in Canada for a year and four months. How I got here was a two year working holiday visa, but if I wanted to stay perminantly I could (as of today actually) apply for perminat residency as a common law spouse and have that visa granted before my WHP expires. However, I'm choosing not to do that.

I was the person to move and it's HARD. I wasn't leaving behind many people, but even one or two close family or friends can gouge a mile wide hole in your heart. I aslo badly miss my country. I miss the environment, the culture, the laws and the people. The idea that my children would grow up and never know my country like I do? Unfathomable! The idea my sister's children would grow up and know me only as the aunt who visits every second christmas? No. No, that's asking me to give up too much. And that is why we're "internationally nomadic", because Obi wont give up his country, family and friends either.

September we're going home to Australia for three years, getting married and having children. (Automatic duel citizenship if they are born in Oz, but not if born in Canada.) The how of that is a Prospective marriage visa (Subclass 300), followed by a spouse sponsorship for temporary residence. Hopefully we stay long enough and he gets his perminant residence before we move back to Canada because the visa porcess is long and painfully expensive and we never want to do it again (at least, not for Australia.)

For us,closeing the distance was a top priority, because it was hard for Obi to see our relationship as "real" when we were LD. So, we finished school and then made it happen. It was as simple as saying "I'm moving to Canada at the end of the year" and then just doing it.

Hope that was somewhat useful.
          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Thank you all, and thank you Zephii that helped alot. Were both really young so i see us being in a LDR for quite awhile, im happy we will finally get to meet soon, but i just think its going to be awhile before we officially close the distance. But i tend to thing about the future. My moms told me she wouldn't want me moving away. But when you love someone so much, right now i have no intentions of ever moving out of the U.S but if I were to get married or we got to that deep level i would follow him anywhere. But idk how i could bear to leave my family. And him he isn't very close to his family so leaving them would be easier for him, but that means never really getting to know his side of the family, its just all so confusing on how things are going to work out. But thnx guys for the advice and storys on how it worked for you
            I love you Nathan <3
            sigpic
            5/25/09 <3

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
              At least you addmitted to being lazy. I can roll with that You should at least look at Silviar's "things learnt while closing the distance" (or, it sounds something like that ) thread though. It's a good place to be.

For us, it was Australia to Canada, and I think we're fairly unique in that to perminantly close the distance, neither of us is making a perminant move, at least for the forseeable future (and we have a soild ten year plan lol). It's more expensive. A lot more expensive. And it will be hard once we have kids and we know this, but right now, there just is no other way.
              I've been here in Canada for a year and four months. How I got here was a two year working holiday visa, but if I wanted to stay perminantly I could (as of today actually) apply for perminat residency as a common law spouse and have that visa granted before my WHP expires. However, I'm choosing not to do that.

I was the person to move and it's HARD. I wasn't leaving behind many people, but even one or two close family or friends can gouge a mile wide hole in your heart. I aslo badly miss my country. I miss the environment, the culture, the laws and the people. The idea that my children would grow up and never know my country like I do? Unfathomable! The idea my sister's children would grow up and know me only as the aunt who visits every second christmas? No. No, that's asking me to give up too much. And that is why we're "internationally nomadic", because Obi wont give up his country, family and friends either.

September we're going home to Australia for three years, getting married and having children. (Automatic duel citizenship if they are born in Oz, but not if born in Canada.) The how of that is a Prospective marriage visa (Subclass 300), followed by a spouse sponsorship for temporary residence. Hopefully we stay long enough and he gets his perminant residence before we move back to Canada because the visa porcess is long and painfully expensive and we never want to do it again (at least, not for Australia.)

For us,closeing the distance was a top priority, because it was hard for Obi to see our relationship as "real" when we were LD. So, we finished school and then made it happen. It was as simple as saying "I'm moving to Canada at the end of the year" and then just doing it.

Hope that was somewhat useful.
              Government forms/rules/regelations sure take the romance and spontenuety out of being in love, eh!? The world should be a lot simpler when it comes to love but maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic

Comment

I actually find the government stuff to be kinda cool. I mean... if the government thinks my relationship is good enough to justify letting in another immagrant, that's kind of a compliment, right? It's like having approval from up high or something
                Wish is wasn't so expensive though!
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I am glad you admitted you are too young for this step... Hell I would be to young for that step.

But when that step comes make sure you are both happy and compromise with your decision. Moving away from America I don't think could be an option for me. I need my family and I need to be close to them, but if you think you can go years without seeing them go for it! I have always wanted to actually live in another county but I am too big of a wimp for that.

As for you tho. See how things work out in the next few years who knows maybe you can close the distance with job oppertunities or college or study abroad. who know what the future will hold.
                  sigpic

I Cry Cause I Miss You, Smile Cause I Have You, I Can't Live Without You!

Comment

My SO is living with me right now on a tourist visa for 6 months in the USA. Since it's much easier for me to a) get a job, and b) stay for and extended amount of time in Costa Rica we'll be heading down there when his visa runs out. That's as much as I have planned now. Our original "long term" plan has kind of been changed about every other month so I'm just trying to focus on the near future

Comment

Working...
                    X