Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on closing the distance Canada to U.K

Hey all,

My SO and I are closing the distance, and im asking for any advice with regards to visas etc..
    He's Canadian and I'm English. I have read something about an Ancestry Visa which looks promising as his grandparents on his fathers side we're born in Scotland but other than that we have no idea where to start.

Any help would be awesome.
    As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

www.visajourney.com Check out info and stuff there. Can't tell you anything about Canada and UK. Good luck!!!!!!

Oops-- visa journey is only for USA! So I'd start by googling: "types of UK visas"

Comment

I don't know anything about visas

But just wanted to say congrats on the engagement and closing the distance!!! You guys haven't met in person right? Is he going to move to you or you to him?
      I hope everything works out fine and you find the right way to go

Comment

The ancestry passport is very easy to get, provided he has access to all the documents required for it! A few friends of mine have gotten that, and now can work anywhere in the UK and EU, as well as in Canada. Lucky people, haha.
        There's also a fiance visa, depending on if you'd be in a place that you'd be engaged! As far as I'm aware, you don't have to have lived together, just have some proof of an ongoing relationship and the intention to marry within about 6 months.
        Depending on what sort of work he does, there's also a variety of working visas. Check here to see the different types. I've been looking into this a lot myself, as my SO is Irish, but will be moving to the UK shortly. I'm initially going over on the two-year Youth Mobility Scheme visa that's available to commonwealth citizens under 30!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
        Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja View Post
          I don't know anything about visas

But just wanted to say congrats on the engagement and closing the distance!!! You guys haven't met in person right? Is he going to move to you or you to him?
          I hope everything works out fine and you find the right way to go
          Thank you!!
          We haven't met yet no, but he's decided that he has nothing no lose at this point and if we dont work out he can always go back to Canada.I'm so excited yet scared at the same time as this is prossible the biggest thing someone could ever do and i don't want him to regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by kteire View Post
            The ancestry passport is very easy to get, provided he has access to all the documents required for it! A few friends of mine have gotten that, and now can work anywhere in the UK and EU, as well as in Canada. Lucky people, haha.
            There's also a fiance visa, depending on if you'd be in a place that you'd be engaged! As far as I'm aware, you don't have to have lived together, just have some proof of an ongoing relationship and the intention to marry within about 6 months.
            Depending on what sort of work he does, there's also a variety of working visas. Check here to see the different types. I've been looking into this a lot myself, as my SO is Irish, but will be moving to the UK shortly. I'm initially going over on the two-year Youth Mobility Scheme visa that's available to commonwealth citizens under 30!

Our problem is he doesnt have access to the documents needed, is he able to get his fathers/grandparents birth records without there consent or knowledge?
            We'd be really grateful if you could ask the people you know for as much info about the ancestry visa to help us out
            With the fiance visa we have to have met and we havent yet which is makes it harder, work visa's are definitely an option but any youth ones would be out the question... he's a little over 30 lol but thanks for the link thats a great help.

Comment

Originally posted by kteire View Post

Our problem is he doesnt have access to the documents needed, is he able to get his fathers/grandparents birth records without there consent or knowledge?
              We'd be really grateful if you could ask the people you know for as much info about the ancestry visa to help us out
              With the fiance visa we have to have met and we havent yet which is makes it harder, work visa's are definitely an option but any youth ones would be out the question... he's a little over 30 lol but thanks for the link thats a great help.

Comment

I just sent my friends an email asking about that - I'll let you know when I hear back!

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011

Comment

Thanks alot

Comment

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Ok, I heard back from people! As it turns out, only one of my friends had any difficulty getting the documents she needed - her mum's scottish birth certificate was destroyed in a fire when she was much younger. She was unable to do anything about getting the documents on her own, her mum had to go about getting copies of her documents from the Scottish government. She did say the process she went through was more complicated because she was applying for a British ancestry passport, not the Ancestry Visa that's valid for 5 years.
                      Sorry if that's not much help, that's all I could find out!

Best of luck!!

Comment

Thanks so much for getting back to me, as it happens its a no go for us anyway as he has zero way of getting his dads certificate. But we have other options its just going to take a little longer

Comment

i am not sure about ancestry visas...i have never heard of them. but me and my fiance are currently undergoing a spouce visa he is in the usa and i am in the uk. if you go for this type of visa in order to meet the requiremnets you have to have 1. have evidence of on-going relationship, 2. intend to marry within 6 months, 3. have met in person, 4. be able to show that you can both support yourselves without the assisstance of public funds as he will not be able to work on a fiance visa... so you need to show the evidence that you or him or both can support yourselves. 5. that there will be adaquate accomodation for him on arrival. hope this helps and good luck whatever route you take

Comment

Thanks for your input Jester Our problem at the moment is we havent met each other so none of the partner visa's apply and studying visa are a no go too. I'm looking into a work visa but they look pretty tricky. Im planning on making the trip to see him in december, that will atleast gives us some more options then.

Comment

Working...
                            X