Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argh!! Possibly postponing closing the distance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argh!! Possibly postponing closing the distance...

I just have to vent.
    My SO is a training actuary, and he has two written exams and three practical exams left before he's fully qualified. He's planning to have them all done by April of 2012, and then was going to start looking for jobs in Edinburgh, London or Manchester, and I'd move with him wherever he'd end up.
    BUT... in the past week, one of his coworkers that was hired at the same time as him quit. And the company they work for is being a big prick. Apparently when Loic was hired, they outlined in his contract that he'd have to give 3 months' notice (that's ok, really) and that he'd have to pay back 100% of costs for exams he'd sat in the past 6 months, and 50% of the exams in the past year... but they assured him that this was negotiable, and they never make anyone do this. But apparently, when this guy left, he was told he did have to pay for all of the exams the company had paid for, no negotiation, and threatened legal action.
    So... if Loic were to leave his job when he wants to, he'll end up having to pay about £5000 to buy out of his contract, or stay on a lot longer to avoid paying... Either way, he's likely going to have to stay at his job longer to save up the money or negate the costs...
    The FUN thing is, I've been planning to move over to Edinburgh in October on a two-year visa, and had just started applying, and gave in my resignation notice at work. If I go over with the visa too soon, it'll expire before he and I get to live together for a year, so we won't be considered common-law for him to come to Canada... I couldn't stay in the UK as his common-law as it's two years there... So we could potentially close the distance short-term, and then be back to our respective countries without visas.

BLEH!! I don't really know if I'm looking for advice of any sort, haha. I am just so frustrated and worried. I wish Loic had known this would be an issue before he took the job, but then, we'd only been together a few weeks when he did.

I don't know what to do.

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
    Closed the distance June 18, 2012!
Working...
X