cannuck/yankee couples!!! TN Visa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannuck/yankee couples!!! TN Visa!

It's possible this is old news to some of you, but I remember some canadian/american couples have posted on this forum asking about visas before, so I thought I would post a quick note on this (since I didn't know much about it until recently)

If you are a canadian looking to move back to the US, I recently discovered that the TN visa is the easiest way/cheapest way to do it. You don't need a lawyer, and it only costs 56$ to get one.

To get one you only need:

- A job offer from a US company (I know, easier said than done. This is the hardest step) in one of the acceptable job categories of a TN visa (listed here: https://www.grasmick.com/nafta.htm )

- a letter from the company offering you a job addressed to the US customs officials that explains that you are qualified, that they want to hire you, what they will be paying you and whatnot

- your original university/college degree and transcript

- passport

- cash or credit card

You can apply for one directly at a US border crossing. It's a little easier than other work visas out there because 1) it doesn't cost your prospective employer anything, so they will be more likely to do it 2) it's a really quick process 3) there's no time cap. You can renew your visa as many times as you like as long as you continue to have an employer in that field.

I know it doesn't apply to everyone on the site (and it may have been mentioned before) but I couldn't help but share. Hope this helps someone a little!

p.s I was approved for one yesterday, we're closing the distance in October

That's very informative. All though I would also like to add that a student visa (for the younger couples) is also a route they can go. I have looked at transferring to the same university as my SO and because I live in Canada and speak English, there is a lot less hassle. Also, I had talked to a woman who worked at Immigration in the US and she said it only takes a couple months with the student visa to be approved.

I almost forgot, congrats on being so close to closing the distance! I hope to be able to do the same next summer

Comment

Working...
    X