Too much of a gamble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much of a gamble?

Hi all. So, my lover has been trying to find a job for the past month or so to help pay for these exams she needs to take in order to get the career she's always wanted in the US. This way, she'd come to be with me... But she just found a job that would put her on an airplane out of Qatar, flying all over the world! We know next to nothing about the job, which is why next Thursday she'll be going to a seminar to find out more about it. I'm worried she won't have enough time to study, and so this job will keep us from making our goal of living together by next September. I mean, the job pays well, and there is the chance she could fly to the airport in my home town, but I'm still nervous. Is this gamble worth it? I am inclined to support her because I know getting a job means so much to her, but what does LFAD think?

I think you should wait until after she's gone to the seminar to find out if she likes the job or not, she may not like it and decide to take it or she may love it and want to take it. While i do understand where you are coming from saying you are worried about her and not closing the distance next september, think about it like this she gets a job where she can fly around the world, she'll be making money that she can save up for when she moves there and during all of that she can be studying for school.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Usually if a job requires you to go to a seminar to find out what it is, it is some sort of pyramid scheme. The make it sound amazing and no one is actually interviewed for it. If that's the case, tell her not to take it, they are usually scams and you spend all your own money. But before I assume too much, wait till you find out what the job is. If it is a temporary job that has potential to make some money before going to school and saving to come see you it might be worth it.

Comment

I have to agree with snow_girl about being weary of any jobs that require a seminar before interview. Even if its not a scam it may not be especially lucrative. (I had a crappy "job" selling knock off perfumes door to door. Didnt cost me anything but it was shitty and had no real potential to make money, lasted about 1.5 days before I went in there and gave them a piece of my mind!)

But I could be wrong, it could be an amazing oppurtunity to earn the money she needs for school. But make sure shes fully aware of the hours and time commitment. If she has no time to study because of this job, it becomes a bit pointless.

Tell her to listen to her gut instincts after the seminar (not thinking about money or anything like that) and see what happens from there.

You never know - this could be the oppurtunity she needs, and could even lead to a surprise visit!

Ultimately keep an open mind, but stay practical too.
        Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
          Usually if a job requires you to go to a seminar to find out what it is, it is some sort of pyramid scheme. The make it sound amazing and no one is actually interviewed for it. If that's the case, tell her not to take it, they are usually scams and you spend all your own money. But before I assume too much, wait till you find out what the job is. If it is a temporary job that has potential to make some money before going to school and saving to come see you it might be worth it.
          It's a stewardess job with Qatar airways. It's an airline like American or Caribbean airways. Hard to imagine it being a pyramid scheme unless you count pilots making more than stewardesses. :P

Comment

Originally posted by tntristan12 View Post
            It's a stewardess job with Qatar airways. It's an airline like American or Caribbean airways. Hard to imagine it being a pyramid scheme unless you count pilots making more than stewardesses. :P
            Gotcha, misread that in your first post. Don't you need schooling to be a stewardess? I guess she'll find out what its all about after the seminar.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
              Gotcha, misread that in your first post. Don't you need schooling to be a stewardess? I guess she'll find out what its all about after the seminar.
              Yeah they require schooling to be a flight attendant, it's like 6 months to a year of specialty schooling for that where they teach you everything about it (I wanted to be a flight attendant and that's what they told me i needed to do if i wanted to be one). There are certain things they have to teach you about like passenger safety, blood borne illnesses, how to handle threats ect.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
                Yeah they require schooling to be a flight attendant, it's like 6 months to a year of specialty schooling for that where they teach you everything about it (I wanted to be a flight attendant and that's what they told me i needed to do if i wanted to be one). There are certain things they have to teach you about like passenger safety, blood borne illnesses, how to handle threats ect.
                Thanks Riyko! Your answers have been super helpful... Yeah, I think I've come around to the idea of her working for the airline but if what you say about training is true it probably won't come together. See, she's got these exams to take within the next year and she's kinda got to pay for them, so she needs a more immediate job. I'm sure that's all information they will cover at her info session, but I'm not sure if Qatar airways will be any different from the airways you're describing. That's a shame too, cause it sounds like the job pays pretty well! Oh well. We'll keep LFAD updated, I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                X