Visa nervousness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visa nervousness

Okay, so this is probably a few months down the road, however I am wanting to move to Canada. Note: This is whether or not Alex and I decide to continue our relationship. If this trip goes well and we decide to pursue our relationship long term I have no doubt Alex will help me all he can, but I won't be moving in with him straightaway. If the relationship holds strong (which, at this point, I think it will even if there are a few hiccups along the way) I expect to move in on my own and then, maybe a year, two years down the road, if Alex wants to make a commitment then I'd be willing to move in with him. So, though this is about getting out of the long distance bit, it's also in self interest.

I live in Texas and I'm wanting to know if there's a way to go there and THEN seek job opportunities or if I HAVE to have a job before I apply for a visa. Also, I've completed a book and am in the process of submitting it and I wonder, were I to get this book published and make a lot of proceeds from it, would I be able to simply get a residence visa and then live there off the proceeds of my book? Does anyone know this information? I've looked several times at the Canadian Immigration website but I just can't make heads or tails of what kind of visa I'd need and how to get it beyond if I work certain types of jobs I have to have the job before I apply for the work visa. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Yes, I plan ahead. No, you're not the only one who thinks it's ridiculous I'm asking this early.
    Last edited by folclor; April 26, 2010, 05:53 PM.

I don't have any specific information on the US and Canada (there could be a special agreement), but usually, you have to have either a job/study there or be/get married (or open an enterprise or seek political asylum etc.) to be able to get a visa/permanent residence permit...

Comment

hmm. All right, thanks. I'll continue to do my own research as well, but I hope things are smoother than that. ^^;;

Comment

Originally posted by folclor View Post
        hmm. All right, thanks. I'll continue to do my own research as well, but I hope things are smoother than that. ^^;;
        I'm sure other people on here can tell you more. Good luck!

Comment

Fiance Visa: The easiest way to gain residence is by marrying a Canadian citizen.
          Study Visa: The second easiest way is to go to school there .. When school is finished you can extend your stay and gain residence that way.
          Work Visa: The hardest and longest way is to get a Work Visa, which you probably need to do. You would have to have a job that's in demand as well as a company that's willing to sponsor you.

Also, if your planning on coming to the Quebec province the visa process may be a little different.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
          https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.html
          Last edited by Hollybear1212; April 26, 2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I'm looking at Alberta. ^^;; I guess if I went to the community college here for part of the year I could get my GPA up enough to be accepted into a good school but I hate school and I don't know what I'd study. ^^;;; *sigh* we'll see what happens. thanks for the help.

Comment

Visa's scare me. :P
              I'm here on a Working Holiday Program visa, but that is only for Australians unfortuantly. But there might be something similar you could go for. *Googles* Hmm there is, but you need to be enrolled in an American college and it only lasts 6 months. That's really lame. I guess it's possible to get this, go find a job, then apply for a work visa with your boss sponsoring you - but I'd be too scared to attempt that.

You have to have someone sponsor you for a work visa. If you already published your book and were living off the income you could come to Canada on a tourist-style visa and just not work, however most authors are lucky to see $2000 from their first novel. You won't make enough from it to live off, unless it somehow gets the same unbelieveable popularity of twilight or harry potter. It sucks

But have hope! It can't be that difficulat to get into Canada - Every employee at my main job is an immagrant. Every last one except the boss herself (and who knows, perhaps her too!)
              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Yeah... I guess I can think about how I want things to go. The fiance visa, for now, is out of the question. If I want to move to Canada anytime within the next year, year and a half the fiance visa is out. I severely doubt Alex would propose to me in that time from. If he and I stay together and if he proposes it'll probably be two or three years down the road. I may aim for the study visa.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollybear1212 View Post
                  Fiance Visa: The easiest way to gain residence is by marrying a Canadian citizen.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
                  My SO is in a similar situation to Marian, just that she will be moving from Malaysia to Canada (hopefully). I've tried to find info on the CIC website and well I can't. I was wondering if someone could link more information about the Fiance Visa?
                  Thanks
                  "Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle...rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be." ~ Anonymous
                  "Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul." ~ St. Augustine
                  "True love is rare, so when you find it don't let it go just because of a barrier you can't cross". ~ Ray H Wall

Chris and Megan - November 3rd 2009- (Break from June 15- )July 18th 2011.

Comment

Working...
                  X