Birthday prank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday prank

My boyfriend turned 30 on Tuesday. Unfortunately we couldn't be together for his birthday, but he's coming to visit in 15 days and I wanted to make something special for him.

I came up with this idea. Basically, my hometown still feels like a random destination to him, as he doesn't understand the language, doesn't know anyone aside from my family and a couple of friends, and he comes here so rarely he doesn't even have time to meet people. In comparison, I'm far more independent in London, I have a few friends of my own there and find it a lot more familiar.

So I wanted to create the feeling like this is a familiar place to him, like people know him and he's welcome here like an old friend. So what I thought was I'd treat it just like any other weekend visit, we go out, take a walk downtown, have an ice cream, see some sights etc. But I place my friends (the ones he doesn't know) and acquaintances on strategic locations along the route we'll be going to, and each of them waves at him, greets him by his name, as if he were an old friend they haven't seen in a while. While completely ignoring me, as if it's him they know and not me.

I realise it might freak him out at first, but I'm sure he'll put 2 and 2 together and know I had something to do with it. But I absolutely must keep on my poker face and play dumb. Even when he guesses what's going on, he still won't know what's coming up next and who'll be the next person to say hi. I hope it'll make him feel special in a way, like he's some sort of celebrity, like they've been expecting him.

I talked to some of the people who'd be taking part and they all loved it. I wanted to share the idea with you here, and also ask for your opinion on two things:

1) What do you think of it?
    2) Do you think I should throw a surprise party at the end with everyone who participated? Or is it better to just leave it as it is, play dumb and keep him guessing what was that all about?

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

That's a really cute idea! I'd say go for it unless he's anxious around people and would feel uncomfortable about it. I love the idea of a surprise party at the end.

Comment

Haha thats great!! I love the idea! I think it would be cool to go to a put then all the people that said hi to him along the way slowly make their way to the place where you are and say hey again and their glad he came or something. You'll have to practice your serious face, I find if I bite my cheeks when I am about to smile it usually works to keep me from grinning too much.

Comment

Haha! I absolutely love this idea. A party at the end would be fun, because then he can actually meet your friends.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I think we all agree... GREAT IDEA... GO FOR THE PARTY!! that would be an awesome way to end the prank, he'd get to meet your friends and they'd have something to talk about instead of just being awkwardly silent or making small talk...

“Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers”

Comment

Awesome idea!!! if only you could record it to share it with us! It just sounds so cool!

Definitely the party at the end! (maybe I just like parties?)

Comment

Thumbs up from me too!

Comment

I love this idea! Definitely throw a party at the end!

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Loving this! I think a party at the end would be cool too

You have got to let us know how it went!

Comment

Excellent idea - a great way to make his 30th a memorable one

Comment

Yes! I'm really happy you guys approve. The only thing I'm worried about are my organisational skills, obviously this requires coordination with a number of people and it's not something I usually excel at. Also I have to be careful not to give myself away in the middle of it, I'm not too good with a poker face! 2 weeks left to train myself.

And yeah, how I wish I could film it, but obviously it would give away everything.

Btw, I know some people who work in a stand-up comedy club and incidentally on Sunday when he's here they'll have a guest comedian from England, so the entire show will be in English. I talked to them yesterday and they loved the idea, and said they could arrange it so he gets mentioned on the stage. I was thinking it would be the perfect venue to hold the 'party' - I would take him there supposedly on a date. I'd also invite all the people who participated in our little prank to show up there, one by one. I can just imagine his reaction when he starts recognising faces around him as the people he met during the weekend. And then he also gets a birthday mention from the guest star.
                      It's just meant to be!

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Sounds like an amazing way to celebrate! Good luck!

Comment

That sounds super cool! Good luck and let us know how it turns out

Comment

Sounds awesome! The surprise party really adds something special, I think. Seems like a great way for him to feel comfortable away from home. I'm guessing you'd start by making a list of willing participants and practice run or two?

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I think this is a great idea! I think the comedy club sounds like fun and would make a great ending to it all. Even a surprise party would be fun. Good luck! I hope it goes well.
                              "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                              Made it official: September 17, 2010
                              Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                              Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                              Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                              Got married: November 21, 2012
                              Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                              Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X