Homemade matching T shirts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade matching T shirts?

I looked for a thread on this but couldn't find one.

I want to make my SO and I matching T shirts for when we meet the first time in September. I don't want to pay like $30 each or whatever it is to buy matching shirts
    So I was wondering if any of you have done this? What did yours look like? Any ideas as for cute things to write on it?
    I will probably be buy the shirt paint thingys and just make it really colorful and fun. I could put a picture on but I think I'll wait on that instead of asking my aunt for help and having to explain it all haha.

Thank you

Well, I've never made matching T-Shirts, but I have silk screened a shirt before. It's actually a little tedious but I loved doing it. Look into silk screening, that's a fun option and you can make the design yourself. When I did it, I found a design of Mickey Mouse online, traced it, and created a "template" sorta, out of specific plastic sheets. Then, using acrylic paint, I used a squeegee and the silk screen and dabbed the paint on. It's hard to give a good explanation on here, but look it up, it might be an option for you. Having custom T-shirts made can get really expensive .

Comment

I like the idea of matching shirts! You could put the date you are visiting in September on your shirts, or the day you started going out

Comment

Originally posted by Yaaamiii View Post
        Well, I've never made matching T-Shirts, but I have silk screened a shirt before. It's actually a little tedious but I loved doing it. Look into silk screening, that's a fun option and you can make the design yourself. When I did it, I found a design of Mickey Mouse online, traced it, and created a "template" sorta, out of specific plastic sheets. Then, using acrylic paint, I used a squeegee and the silk screen and dabbed the paint on. It's hard to give a good explanation on here, but look it up, it might be an option for you. Having custom T-shirts made can get really expensive .
        Oh wow! I hadn't heard of that but I googled it and it looked really cool! Is this something some one with very little art skill can do? lol. I'm reading how to thing so hopefully it isn't too hard!! Thank you for the idea. I agree, it is really expensive :/

Originally posted by rixue View Post
        I like the idea of matching shirts! You could put the date you are visiting in September on your shirts, or the day you started going out
        I really like this idea! I think i'm going to find a way to do that whether I silk screen it, paint or whatever it is Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by CKJS View Post
          Oh wow! I hadn't heard of that but I googled it and it looked really cool! Is this something some one with very little art skill can do? lol. I'm reading how to thing so hopefully it isn't too hard!! Thank you for the idea. I agree, it is really expensive :/
          I believe it is. When I did it, I literally printed out a picture from the internet, traced it onto the plastic sheets, and cut them out using an exacto knife. Then I just layered them on to of each other and let the paint do the rest. I studied art for a few years, and know that acrylic paint does not come off clothing! xD I lost my entire closet during those years LOL. It's so hard to explain online, but it isn't as bad as you think. You just need to be patient with it, and if you are, it comes out great! Maybe there are videos on youtube or something...because I think there are different methods to it. But I silk screened on a shirt.

I think anybody can do it, you just have to be patient. I think the longest part was actually making the stencils. And that took me so long because I decided I wanted 3 colors in mine. But you can make it easier on yourself and just have one color. Then you'd only need to make one stencil. :P!

Comment

I just wanted to mention: have you spoken to him about this, and would he be cool with it? You don't want to put a heap of effort in if it's not the kind of gift he'd appreciate, and honestly, I don't know anyone in person who would be ok wearing a matching couple's t-shirt.
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Yaaamiii View Post
              I believe it is. When I did it, I literally printed out a picture from the internet, traced it onto the plastic sheets, and cut them out using an exacto knife. Then I just layered them on to of each other and let the paint do the rest. I studied art for a few years, and know that acrylic paint does not come off clothing! xD I lost my entire closet during those years LOL. It's so hard to explain online, but it isn't as bad as you think. You just need to be patient with it, and if you are, it comes out great! Maybe there are videos on youtube or something...because I think there are different methods to it. But I silk screened on a shirt.

I think anybody can do it, you just have to be patient. I think the longest part was actually making the stencils. And that took me so long because I decided I wanted 3 colors in mine. But you can make it easier on yourself and just have one color. Then you'd only need to make one stencil. :P!
              Do you have any pictures of the ones you've done? I'd love to see them This is the video I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugbo20z90Hk it's the first I've watched there seem to be a few lol.

Lol that's funny. I'm sure your artsy clothes we're beautiful.

Thanks for the advice! It means a lot. I'm clueless about this stuff lol. You're seriously awesome

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
              I just wanted to mention: have you spoken to him about this, and would he be cool with it? You don't want to put a heap of effort in if it's not the kind of gift he'd appreciate, and honestly, I don't know anyone in person who would be ok wearing a matching couple's t-shirt.
              Yes, I have. He's pretty excited about it lol. He chose the color of the shirts but he doesn't really have any ideas. I know it might be lame but we're just really excited to be cutesy and dorky. Just have a ton of fun with it
              Thanks for the concern.

Comment

Yup! This is what it looked like:

The video you found isn't exactly how I did it, but it was similar. I did some different things, for example, I didn't use mod podge. I also used a squeegee, not a brush, as the squeegee does a better job of distributing the paint evenly. I'm sure a brush would be fine, though . I also traced my image onto transparency sheets, like they one's used for projectors. Then I put the sheet onto the bottom of the silk screen and then used the paint on the other side. It's so hard to explain! lol! :P It's a lot of fun, and it's worth seeing your work on the shirt .

Edit: I do have to point out that it probably won't come out perfectly, especially not the first time. Those white spaces in between the colors are because I cut the transparency's out imperfectly. That's okay though, it makes it more special.

Comment

I'm going to go see if I can find all the things I need for it The one you did is really cool! I agree it makes it more special it doesn't look like you messed up it almost looks high lighted. Thank you for all your help

Comment

No problemo

Comment

Working...
                    X