How much is too much? (or too little?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is too much? (or too little?)

My boyfriend and I have been dating for roughly 6 months or so (we were physically together for the first 4). His 21st birthday is coming up and I am going to visit him. I'm just curious as to how much I should really spend on his present? Keep in mind we are in college, and I currently do not have a job (other than the very infrequent babysitting gig). And although he plans on drinking at his party, he has never drank before, and doesn't really plan on drinking too frequently.

We had just started dating when my 20th birthday rolled around, and he just bought me a cupcake, but now we're quite serious. I plan on throwing together a few random things relating to his interests... I'd love to make him something, but I can't really think of anything in particular (he doesn't really like cakes or cookies)? I was raised to be a "gift card giver"...so I feel pretty lost when it comes to giving gifts, and I feel like a terrible girlfriend because of it. Suggestions? Ideas? Advice?

Something small and thoughtful, maybe even handmade.. You could put together a small care package to give him. I'm sure he'd appreciate that

Comment

My so and I have a deal that I can spend no more than $20 on him because I don't have a job and get a limited amount of money to spend.. and he is very persistent on me saving all the money that I can to visit him instead of buying things. lol.
      On the other hand, he has spent nothing on me. He doesn't have a job, nor does he get money, so he can't really spend money on things for me right now. I get loving sentiments and personalized gifts instead of things that can be bought.. which I'm perfectly fine with.. actually, I love them more than I would other things.

Really, it depends on your income (I get roughly $80, sometimes less, a month being jobless atm), what he likes, and what he would enjoy. Maybe talk with him to get a general idea? I talked with my so about it so that I would know what he would be comfortable with. It started with no money at all and then went up from there. He may not be comfortable with you buying things because of your income situation.

Maybe make him something cute, if you're both comfortable with that. Maybe write him a letter and get creative with the rest of the gift. Maybe little things he has mentioned liking or wanting to try or something. I sent my so a light saber shaped light-up lollipop (he's a complete nerd and we both have a light saber irl XD) and soda because they don't sell it where he live and he wanted to try it. Just little things like that all comprised into one gift, sort of like a care package. I'm sure he'd love it. Especially if it's personalized to things that you know he likes, things that you want him to have, and things that he has mentioned wanting. ^_^;

Hopefully this makes sense.. I have a very high lack of focus right now. ^^;;
      "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
      This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
      Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

He never mentions wanting anything, ever. We both really like movies and music, but he illegally downloads everything he wants. So far, I plan on getting him these chopsticks because he loves sushi (hopefully they'll have them in stock). I guess I also plan on writing a sweet letter. But other than that, I'm stuck. I guess I need to just go out there and shop around until I find stuff. But any idea on what I could actually make him?

Comment

My man loves really cute and simple stuff I do for him. I'm the artsy type so I drew him a picture of Marc Anthony from the old cartoons. He absolutely adored it because it reminds him of the two of us and it was one of his favorite cartoons growing up. As far as making goes, you can pretty much do anything. Something else that I found recently that was this really cool t shirt bleaching project. Basically you pick out a stencil or make one yourself then lay it on a dark colored shirt and spray bleach onto it. With all the supplies it was no more then 10 bucks and it came out really cool. You could take something from one of his favorite movies and use that. Its a unique gift that comes from the heart. If you decide to do it I would be more than willing to give you further directions.

Comment

I love the chopsticks idea! Since you said he likes music so you could burn him a CD of songs you think he might like that he doesn't have yet (the entire CD will be a whole other surprise when he plays it)! I am sure your SO will love anything you get him because it came from you!

Comment

You could make him anything. I'm a really crafty person, and my SO loves when I make him gifts. I've made him t-shirts with bleach and freezer paper stencils. For our first Christmas I wrote him a poem and put it on a big board for him to hang in his room. He loved it. It doesn't have to be a lot. Or expensive. I'm not very good at getting him gifts. I never know what boys want. And he is very content with just his computer and all the games he owns already (which is pretty much all of them...). He drinks a lot of water, so I got him an aluminum water bottle. He recently messed up his keyboard that he loves, so I intend to replace that for Christmas.

Just use all the little things you know (much like the sushi) and think about the things that go with what he likes.
              Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
              Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
              Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
              LD again: July 24, 2012
              Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
              Married: November 1, 2014
              Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

creative ideas , i was looking lately for ideas of gifts to send to my SO in our anniversary , i will make these stuff you said in consideration !

Comment

For valentines day one time I took an empty asprin bottle and covered it with conctruction paper. Then I took red white and pink colored paper and wrote down all the reasons I loved him and all the ways he gets me to smile. For a little extra fun and becuase he loved smiley faces I would put a smiley face sticker on a slip of paper. I folded them up and put them in the bottle. He really loved it!
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~*** So Much Love to Share ***~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X