61st birthday present...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

61st birthday present...

before people go "you are dating a 61 year old?? and you are 17??", this is for the SO's mum :P

so her birthday is august 2nd.. and im thinking about buying her a locket, to put a picture of the SO (he is an only child) and the SO's dad in (and her husband)

thing is, im not sure if its too sentimental, as the SO's dad had passed away in feb '11.

is it too sentimental? i mean we are very close, but maybe its abit too near the mark? :/

I think she'd probably be very touched that you thought of her in that way but it is a fine line from being thoughtful to being painful. Have you spoken with your SO about this and gotten their perspective on it?

Comment

While it's a very poignant idea I do think that sort of jewellery is quite... I don't know, personal, maybe? I mean, it strikes me as something you'd want to buy for yourself/someone to buy for you when you were emotionally prepared to wear it, and it's often not at all easy to gauge the point which another person is at unless they're open with you about their feelings. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure your SO's mum would appreciate it even if you did buy a locket, but I suppose in your position I'd prefer to stick with the "safer" option of a more generic piece of beautiful jewellery. As notyourexgirlfriend above me suggested though, do talk to your SO about it as he's probably the one who could advise you best. Mine definitely was when it came to me choosing Christmas presents for his family! Good luck

Comment

I think it's a very sweet idea but it may not be the right time to give it to her. I don't know how long the two of you have been together, but it might not be something she wants to receive from some one she may not know very well (not saying that's the case, but if you haven't been together long, it might be looked at it that way).

What about a nice art print? I think artwork is subjective but I also appreciate it when some one takes the time to try and find something that makes them think of me.

Comment

hey

yes the SO said its perfect, but still unsure

we have been together 3 years and 2 months, ive known his mother for about 5 years (i know thats strange but i didnt make the connection until i got to know him :P )

Comment

Working...
          X