What to give a guy for his birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to give a guy for his birthday

As it goes, I have two birthday coming up really soon ; my husband's birthday is next week and my boyfriend ' birthday is really next month, but he celebrated my birthday a month in advance and I want to do that for him, too. This is the first time I buy a birthday present for my bf. I have given him a necklace and a calender with pics of us before.

So, the dilemma is : what to get them... I will not have a lot of money since it will be when my so is here and I will pay for his hotel and stuff. And I have been thinking of giving them the same thing, or at least something of similar value and / or thoughtfulness. But it should feel like it was chosen with them in mind. I will write them cards, but the gifts I am more unsure of. At the moment I am considering :
    Dinner at a nice restaurant (Neco)
    Exploring the city with me (Lasse)
    Baking them cakes
    Tablets / Ipads (would have to get Neco something with Turkish alphabeth)
    Books (Norwegian, English or Turkish)
    Perfume
    Clothes
    Jewlery
    Face creams /shaving stuff
    Music

Any tips on what to get a guy ? And how to make it look fair... You may think of it as buying gifts for two brothers. I often buy my sisters the same thing or something similar.
    Last edited by differentcountries; January 12, 2014, 08:33 AM.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

I think this thread is a good idea, and I hope you get lots of answers. I'll be watching for ideas, too.

Do your guys collect anything or have any hobbies? Anything to add to either of those can be good. I would think your bf would like something from your country, maybe a mug or shirt with your flag??? Try to incorporate their interests into their gifts. For example, you could give a themed basket filled with little goodies related to a hobby or interest. Sometimes a really nice version of a small, inexpensive item is appreciated. For example, a really nice corkscrew for the wine drinker or coffee grinder and some good whole coffee beans for the coffee drinker.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by piratemama View Post
      I think this thread is a good idea, and I hope you get lots of answers. I'll be watching for ideas, too.

Do your guys collect anything or have any hobbies? Anything to add to either of those can be good. I would think your bf would like something from your country, maybe a mug or shirt with your flag??? Try to incorporate their interests into their gifts. For example, you could give a themed basket filled with little goodies related to a hobby or interest. Sometimes a really nice version of a small, inexpensive item is appreciated. For example, a really nice corkscrew for the wine drinker or coffee grinder and some good whole coffee beans for the coffee drinker.

Good luck.
      Well my bf does not have hobbies,but I try to think of stuff he may like to do, if he tried it. I have been thinking of taking him to a concert. I don't know if that will be a gift, though, or just something we do. If I get him jewlery I am thinking of maybe taking him to the store where I got the neckless and get a ring to match it. It is Norwegian design based on very old patterns. I could get him Something with a flag on I I found something nice. The challenge with bying for bf is that I can't really buy any household items. He shifts adresses because he does seasonal work and he stores stuff...at my place, and I don't want to add to that. I need something small or practical as his gift, since he sort of lives in a bag. Maybe I could get him Something eatable, then he would not have to store it...

My husband has a lot of hobbies, I could try to follow up on that. Right now he is really into music so I could maybe buy him some CDs or take him to a concert. Actually, my husband is very thankful for any gift I get him. Still I appreciate it if someone remembers any awesome gift they gave once and want to share.
      Last edited by differentcountries; January 12, 2014, 02:39 PM.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Does he have a wish list somewhere? Or could he make one?

SO and I have wish lists in Amazon and ThinkGeek. So we're never at a loss for gift giving ideas. We also just him to things. In conversation, I thought of great gag gift for him -- a chauffeur's cap, since he's the family taxi service. Cute, not a lot of money. The kids think it's cute and he thinks of me when he wears it.

I get trying to make it even in poly, but I think each guy would appreciate the personal touch. Or maybe I just think so, because women would want it more personal.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

No, there is no wish list. I know there is no use asking my bf what he wants, because he will only say it I need not give him anything. Hub always want gift cards and it would be easy to give him, but I get so impatient when he does not use them right away *laughs *

Thinkgeek is not such a bad idea. I wish I had thought of it sooner... Like that seed that has love written on it. Maybe I could order and then show a pic of what I ordered?

Comment

I have recently discovered a really cute Etsy store, Heart Felt Design, which sells custom plush pillows. Maybe you could get them a favourite character from a show, or even one of yourself.

Comment

Those eye-mask-things you get on long flights, will be appreciated during Nordic summers. They're easy to make yourself, too.

A good suitcase (you can find good deals online)
              We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

I like the iPad. That's what I gave my SO for his birthday.
                sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

My so says he wants to learn English better, so I thought maybe I will get him some Comics or fantasy books. Or maybe I should get him some Paolo Coelho stuff... I love your advices, it is just that if I buy him something larger than, well, a big book, I guess I will have to store it.

Comment

Update: I got my husband an anti burn shaving gel (bought online, which he thought was cool), a foldable foot bath (we do pedicure together), a cd that I will get him online and a sweather. We are jointly buying computers these days so that is why I did not get him the Ipad yet.

Comment

I forgot to update this one. I tried Thinkgeek but they were not so keen on sending stuff to Norway

What I did for SO was that I combined Valentine's and his birthday (I did not travel as often back then), and got him for these two occations:
                      - a heart-shaped box of chocolates (from a local store that sells mostly Belgian chocolate)
                      - a small quote book in English about the joys of drinking alcoholuci (I thought that would make him laugh, and it did)
                      - "Eleven minutes" by Paulo Coelho in English (I was right he did not have his own copy. He took it to the airport and read the whole thing on the way back and later on the trip to his mum. He was of course looking for both the sad quote he made, and the good one that is in my profile!)
                      - A mecanical music box that plays the melody of a famous Norwegian song (The Song of Solveig, by Grieg, it is from the play Peer Gynt and the first part of the lyrics go: Perhaps it will pass both winter and spring, perhaps even summer and the next year. But at some point you will come, that I know for sure, and I will wait because I promised this to you... ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR3N1yBEGbw
                      - I made him a birthday party by bringing cupcake ingredients and making it as a surprise to him. We also made another chocolate chip cookies and pizza together
                      - I got him 30 or so Open When-letters, he got those on my arrival so he wouldn't be sad the last days
                      - When I left I gave him some money to buy clothes (my original plan was to go shopping with him, but we did not have the time)

We live together part time in Turkey now so I don't store his stuff in Norway anymore There is now insanely ammounts of preetty shells in both the flats I live in We are probably getting a computer of Ipad together for the flat, that woun't be a "gift" as I will also be using it on my visits, especially when I will start write on my thesis. I get also get him more stuff now that we have the flat, which is nice! But we are not going to live there forever, so I try not to buy too much stuff (but SO goes havoc, especially with electrical stuff).

I still like the suitcase tip! As an LD couple we really should have our travel gear in order. I just got myself a new suitcase, perhaps he should go next We can get good deals in Turkey, we know people who know people

There is a photo shop close to us, perhaps they can make some cool photo-based stuff from our pics for our one year aniversary
                      Last edited by differentcountries; September 17, 2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X