Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USPS/Other Postal Service Horror Stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USPS/Other Postal Service Horror Stories?

So, for Christmas last year, my SO sent me my first ever package, complete with gifts, and letters on December 10th, it got held up in SF Customs on the 13th, and has since been there for the past 7 months, UNTIL recently. The tracking number no longer exists. They have most likely destroyed the package, and I will never read what was in those letters. I am furious and crushed. I had hope, because I've heard of so many customs horror stories. I didn't care how long I had to wait, as long as I'd get it. But now it'll never happen. I kinda feel like crying. :/

Anyone else have horror stories from USPS or other Postal services in other countries?

OMG! I hope your package will end up getting to you. I would feel like crying too. Our first Christmas in 2012 I was so exited to send my SO his gift. I believe I sent it two weeks before Christmas and he didn't get it until February 2013. He actually received his Valentine and Christmas gift a few days apart. We had never had problems shipping each other packages before but I guess we all have to experience this at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayrainlove View Post
      I believe I sent it two weeks before Christmas and he didn't get it until February 2013.
      I was hoping that it had simply gotten held up by the Christmas rush and that it'd get here around February (that's what the local post office said might happen), but nothing yet. Is it bad I still have hope even though there is no evidence that it ever existed?

Comment

That sucks so much, I'm sorry. One time one of my best friends sent me a package full of food (cereal, cookies, etc.) from the US and forgot to lie on the customs form, and it came back to me completely and utterly destroyed--the package was ripped through with all of the packets opened and crushed cookie/cereal crumbs all over the bottom. I even think the customs officers pocketed some of my food. It was so disheartening to receive something that was sent with a lot of love reduced to that sort of state.

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalQuixotic View Post
          That sucks so much, I'm sorry. One time one of my best friends sent me a package full of food (cereal, cookies, etc.) from the US and forgot to lie on the customs form, and it came back to me completely and utterly destroyed--the package was ripped through with all of the packets opened and crushed cookie/cereal crumbs all over the bottom. I even think the customs officers pocketed some of my food. It was so disheartening to receive something that was sent with a lot of love reduced to that sort of state.
          That's awful!!!! I joked recently about the US Customs workers discovering Tim Tams (a DELICIOUS Australian biscuit) for the first time, and destroyed the evidence to cover it up after eating them. Now I'm kinda wondering if that's what happened. Don't people think about who they're affecting when they do things like that??

Comment

Originally posted by Lea-le-Lea View Post
            That's awful!!!! I joked recently about the US Customs workers discovering Tim Tams (a DELICIOUS Australian biscuit) for the first time, and destroyed the evidence to cover it up after eating them. Now I'm kinda wondering if that's what happened. Don't people think about who they're affecting when they do things like that??
            You can even get Tim Tams in the US now. I think being a postal worker is one of those careers that turns you into an asshole just by the sheer breaking of spirit that happens when you deal with the stupidity of society day in and day out.

Comment

When my SO sent me her first package, the Malaysian post service told her that would take a week to reach me. But after 2 weeks, nothing, and the last tracking update says that the package is sent to France 9 days ago.
              She went to the post office and they said that I have to check with my post service cause the package is now in France. I went there, and they told me that the package is not in France so my SO have to check with the Malaysian post service. She checked again and they said the same things again.
              Sadly, we declared the package as lost and she sent me an other.
              I receive the second package and decided to try my last chance by sending a reclamation to my post service to ask them to search the first package. One week later, I receive two letters from them, the first to say than they are searching and the second to say they didn't find it. (the two letters with the same sending date ;/)
              My surprise was total when I finally received it two days later. I am so happy cause now I can wear my beautiful t-shirt and my blue Superman brief
              Now, I am waiting for my third package to reach her, already two weeks ...

Comment

I bought something of eBay once and even though it was within the US, it got lost in the mail for 3 months before I finally got it. By then, I'd already gotten a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalQuixotic View Post
                  You can even get Tim Tams in the US now.
                  That's exactly what I said in my very angry email to the post office, and phone call to customs! I get them at World Market, but my SO forgot I could when he sent them. I'll take Tim Tams where I can get them But still, that drives me insane! They had no reason for the hold up.

Comment

Horror stories? From USPS? Nothing compared to the Costa Rica "postal service". Out of everything sent to me over three years I maybe got 10% of it. No packages ever made it. I assume the stuff was stolen. One package even had a tracking number, when I went to the post office with the tracking number they said "oh this number is only for the USA, it changes when it comes into Costa Rica" WHY WOULD IT CHANGE??!! Yeah, CR postal system is the worst.

Though, usually the stuff I send makes it okay. It just takes a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                      Out of everything sent to me over three years I maybe got 10% of it. No packages ever made it. I assume the stuff was stolen.
                      Holy crap man!! That's terrible!! I would be sooo sad if I couldn't receive hardly anything from my SO. I'm sorry!!

I seriously don't get why Customs/Postal services are IMPOSSIBLE to contact. I never would have cared, but now that I have an SO across the world, we all rely on the posts to get these things to us. I make a LOT of hand crafted gifts, and every time I send them, I'm terrified they're gonna get lost or stolen. Also, I just called my local post this morning, and talked to the guy about why a tracking number would no longer work, so he looked it up for me and he was like "uuuuuummmm.... this is really weird... it's showing that there's no record of it ever existing..." He was really nice, but I swear. The USPS need to have a phone number to contact customs when needed. I read about so many impossible horror stories.

Comment

I didn't want to read this thread because I've got one in transit right now to him lol I'm horrified!! I've been so careful about what I've sent because through work we've had stuff held up and omg what a flipping stupid, nonsensical, frustrating nightmare to get them to release the crap. I would be so sad if one just disappeared!! How awful!!
                        "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

I've given up, because I sent him three packages and loads of letters and NONE arrived. I was sad about all of them, but one in particular. After one of my visits, I made him a photo album with lots of pictures, little notes and comments. Don't even want to think about what happened to it or who saw it. My SO sent me a birthday letter last year that arrived almost two months later, but at least it made it ! As much as I would love to send him stuff, for us it's just a waste of time and money.

Comment

Takes FOREVER to get to me! My man sent me a package on December 9, that I received February 2. Okay, so It was Christmas time.... Currently waiting on something sent June 18.... Probably wont receive it for awhile!

Comment

If I send him something it take about 3 weeks to arrive (though around Christmas time it took about 1 1/2 month), now I visit often and just bring things to him with me. Actually, I only sent him three packages ever; a bracelet (my first gift for him) with a letter/card, stuff for his tourist visa application and New year's gifts from me and my husband. I would never dare to send him any books I made in the mail, I work far too hard on them plus they contain pictures, so he has always gotten them on visits instead.
                              Last edited by differentcountries; June 28, 2014, 01:10 PM.
                              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
                              X