Christmas present for my SO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas present for my SO

So, I'm not going to have much money (at all, really) for Christmas this year, so I'm trying to think of sentimental gifts/crafty gifts to give to my SO. One idea I had was to get a "Welcome Home" poster, that his dad (or his aunt, I can't remember ) made for him when he came home from Iraq, framed. I've been telling him since we met that he needs to get it framed since he usually just pins it up to his wall, and I know it means a lot to him, and I figured if it's framed nicely, it won't get damaged. Also, I was thinking of getting this poem his dad wrote for him, when he was 6, framed. His dad meant a lot to him and he's been deceased for about 4 years. His dad was his everything, as was his aunt. Both his parents are gone, his aunt (his dad's sister) is gone, and his dad's brother (his uncle) is gone as well, all within a span of 2 years starting the year after he came home from his deployment. I'm not sure what else to get for him/make for him though. I've done the "52 Reasons Why I Love You" deck.

I'm thinking of maybe making him a bunch of "Open When..." letters with a nice box (that I might decorate).

The poem...

My SO didn't even know his dad wrote this for him and found it in a box of his dad's stuff when he moved to his new house last month. He told me it made him bawl like a baby when he read it.

I would love it if I could get a frame made that has the title on it. I've been looking on Etsy. Also, I was thinking of trying to find a picture of my SO and his dad when he was little, and the most recent one of them two, and putting them on each side of the poem, if I can.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by whatruckus; November 4, 2014, 08:36 PM.

framing is a good gift idea, especially with the family history.

If you like to cook or bake you could perhaps make him something, like Christmas cakes or if he has a favourite you can make that.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
      framing is a good gift idea, especially with the family history.

If you like to cook or bake you could perhaps make him something, like Christmas cakes or if he has a favourite you can make that.
      I do love to cook and bake. For his birthday/graduating his Corrections Academy, I made him caramel stuffed snickerdoodles and French Macarons with various fillings.

Comment

Open when's are always good. I'm currently working on one for Christmas that I've decorated with trimmings and such. Inside the box, I have a small tree (about 14 inches) decorated inside another box because my SO will most definitely not purchase a tree or decorate anything for Christmas. LoL Then there's gonna be several smaller boxes, decorated and sealed. Open when "you're bored", "you're sick", "you miss me", "you're mad or stressed", "when I leave from visiting", etc etc etc. I'll also include a mason jar cookie mix (cookies he loves but can't bake for him all the time), and some pictures of us together. I'm sure some other small things will make it into the box before I'm finished. Pinterest is your friend!
        "I ran to him. I dropped my luggage and ran to him. My heart melted in my chest as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I could feel him. I could kiss him. I could smell him. He was real. He was here. He is mine."

He could be a million miles away...and still be worth every single mile <3

We met in 2012
        We became a couple in April 2014
        Our lips first met August 8, 2014
        Our beautiful 2nd visit was November 2014
        Hoping to visit again for a New Years kiss
        We'll spend my birthday and Valentines day in each other's arms <3 - Feb 2015
        Our "spring break" in March 2015
        Summer fun - June 2015
        DISNEY WORLD!!! Sept 2015

LOVE > DISTANCE
        QUALITY > CONVENIENCE

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaLovesChicago View Post
          Open when's are always good. I'm currently working on one for Christmas that I've decorated with trimmings and such. Inside the box, I have a small tree (about 14 inches) decorated inside another box because my SO will most definitely not purchase a tree or decorate anything for Christmas. LoL Then there's gonna be several smaller boxes, decorated and sealed. Open when "you're bored", "you're sick", "you miss me", "you're mad or stressed", "when I leave from visiting", etc etc etc. I'll also include a mason jar cookie mix (cookies he loves but can't bake for him all the time), and some pictures of us together. I'm sure some other small things will make it into the box before I'm finished. Pinterest is your friend!
          That is adorable with the little tree and everything!! I might do that! He doesn't decorate either, and I think it'd be cute to have in his room. Lol!

Comment

Working...
          X