Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't be together for anniversary or holidays...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't be together for anniversary or holidays...

It sucks. Our first year anniversary is coming up in December and he has work. And he has work on Black Friday. And he has work around Christmas. It just sucks. Anybody else have to go through this? I can't believe we can't be together for anything. He keeps saying it's okay because we're going to be together for the rest of our lives, but so what? It's our FIRST anniversary and we're never going to have another first anniversary. He just doesn't really seem upset because he doesn't think it's that big of a deal I guess, but it sucks. Holidays are a time to spend with family and loved ones and we can't do that if we're 500 miles apart.

I think a lot of us are in the same situation.

I have never been with my SO for anything important. Not one single birthday, Christmas, Valentine's Day etc. We are hoping next year we get to spend our birthdays with each other but due to the extortionate prices of transatlantic flights in July, that's not looking hopeful.

We just try and make extra special efforts on those days, sending care packages and making huge efforts with communication. It is what it is and patience is needed if a ldr is to thrive.

I know it's hard, it sucks being away from the one you love for important events but there's not much you can do about it. Try to stay positive though and know that you are not alone in this.

Comment

Yea well, we did not celebrate on the exact day, either. We still celebrated.

If we had to wait until the both of us had time off, we would hardly see each other at all.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

We haven't spent a Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years together. We were supposed to be together this week for our birthdays and that fell through. He's dealing with some issues right now and depending on what happens, it may not happen for us next year and our wedding date may even end up getting pushed out.

You have your relationship began on 6/15/14 - you've already been a couple 18 months in December. Wouldn't you have celebrated your 1-year in June? I know it's hard to not be together for the holidays. The first time you are together for the holidays, celebrate it then as your "first" - because it will be your first together.
        To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by R&R View Post
          You have your relationship began on 6/15/14 - you've already been a couple 18 months in December. Wouldn't you have celebrated your 1-year in June?
          Yeah. Well, I guess unofficially began in June of last year, but officially December, but we didn't really celebrate that. I guess I should change it on here.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the support. It gets easier knowing that there are people who are in the same situation. I have been with him for christmas and thanksgiving before, but I've always been a big holiday person and I'm ALWAYS with my family for the holidays no matter what. So for him to not be here, even for just one thanksgiving or one christmas, is a big deal for me. Especially our anniversary.

Comment

We live together and don't get to celebrate holidays and special occasions on the dates of. We both do shift work and our schedules are set, sometimes we go four days without even seeing each other because our schedules are complete opposite. Instead of letting it get us down, we celebrate on the the closest day to the occasion that we both have off. Its just a day, we make the most of it when we can together, it doens't matter if it isn't on that exact day.

Comment

We haven't spent either of our anniversaries together. We have spent one holiday together, and we have never spent our birthdays together. Yes, it sucks, but honestly it's not that big of a deal. As far as anniversaries goes, we just try to make that day "extra special" skyping. We put aside as much time as possible to just hang out together. Holidays are a little tougher since you want to spend it with loved ones, but you just do what you have to do. It's not ideal and it makes you miss them more, but welcome to a long distance relationship

Comment

My wife and I have been together 5+ years and we've yet to spend an anniversary or xmas together. This year will be the first time for both! I'm pretty excited.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                  Married April 18th, 2015!!
                  Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

So far the only thing we spent together was valentines day and thats because I booked my first trip so we could be together on that day so I do understand. I'm lucky I could afford Christmas tickets and it's cost a small fortune. But we are hoping to close the distance by next year. We couldn't spend our first year anniversary together either, but we sill made it special by exchanging gifts.
                    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
                    All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

I am not spending Christmas with my SO aswell. But we're hoping to spend New Year's Eve together...

Stay positive!

Comment

We were able to spend last Christmas together and in our mind that was the first of many to come. But things have changed around since then and we won't be together this year. My SO does not panic over our important dates like I do. He used to say on our first date already that if we're lucky we have 40 more years together so what's one or two years... We will have 4 four years in February and I'm hoping that to be our special anniversary.

Comment

First anniversary coming up in December as well and we'll be missing that sadly. We'll also be miss spending Christmas, New Years' Eve and my birthday together. It sucks and I can understand why you're upset, but as others say, stay positive

It means a lot to celebrate the event on its actual day, but you can always make up that date another time. Plus, you can always call and message lots on the actual day and don't be afraid to have some sort of gift ready to appear at their house on the day. I'm having a close friend of my girlfriend give her a present from me near to Christmas.

Comment

My SO and i didn't spend last christmas, new years, his birthday, my birthday, or our first anniversary together and it looks like its going to be the same for the upcoming year. It sucks but i've learned to not hold on to the disappointments ,appreciate the little time we have spent together, and make the most of every moment we spend together in the future.

keep strong and think positive and look forward to the next time you do get to spend time with each other .

Comment

Working...
                            X