Promise ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promise ring

Just wanted to share this, because it meant a lot to me and I am curious how many others here have them.

But today my boyfriend surprised me with a promise ring. It's a very simple silver ring. But it has a custom engraving on the inside that says, "Always and Forever" which is what we have said to each other since the beginning. I of course cried a little when he gave it to me. Haha.

I am not normally a ring kind of person, so it's weird to have one on my finger. But I still love it. It was a very unexpected gift, but I thought it was very sweet.
    ~~~ ~~~

First Met Online: March 13, 2014
    Relationship Began: November 23, 2014
    First Met In Person: June 10-24, 2015
    Second Visit: December 16- January 6, 2015/2016
    Closed The Distance: June 26, 2016
    Got Engaged: February 1, 2018

I love jewelry
    My SO gave me a "forever" ring last week! It' has emeralds in an infinity setting. We met in May and always say we are forever, It's a placeholder for an engagements ring next year.

Some people will say, why not just get an engagement ring instead? I was like that until he gave me this.

I think it's beautiful that they put thought into these. It's not the diamond or standard ring you get for engagement, but one they seemed to pick from the heart. I am so happy for you both!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sasad View Post
      I love jewelry
      My SO gave me a "forever" ring last week! It' has emeralds in an infinity setting. We met in May and always say we are forever, It's a placeholder for an engagements ring next year.

Some people will say, why not just get an engagement ring instead? I was like that until he gave me this.

I think it's beautiful that they put thought into these. It's not the diamond or standard ring you get for engagement, but one they seemed to pick from the heart. I am so happy for you both!!!

Thanks, sasad!

My SO told me he wanted to just wait and get me an engagement ring in a year or two instead, but he told me that he wanted me to know now how much I mean to him. He said a promise ring is something that means a lot to him, and it's more than just a ring. It's his way of showing me that his commitment is more than just words. He gave me a sweet little speech saying how much he loves me as he put it on my finger. It was honestly one of the sweetest things he has done.

Yeah, we're young. But I feel like he is definitely the one. I know every teen my age says that about their boyfriend or girlfriend, but I have seen a lot of succussful and failed relationships in my 17 years, and I just feel as if this is one of the successful ones.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and happiness on the subject. It means so much to me.
      ~~~ ~~~

First Met Online: March 13, 2014
      Relationship Began: November 23, 2014
      First Met In Person: June 10-24, 2015
      Second Visit: December 16- January 6, 2015/2016
      Closed The Distance: June 26, 2016
      Got Engaged: February 1, 2018

Comment

My SO does a lot of clearing for her job so she doesn't really like rings and isn't a very girl person in general so even though i love the thought of a promise ring i doubt if i gave her one she'd ever really get to wear it. But for christmas i sent her an infinity necklace which looks really cute with the infinity sign on it, and the best bit is i have the same one so we match :3
        my girls <3

Josie (SO)
        Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
        Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
        Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
        Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
        Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
        Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
        Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
        All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Aww, that's very sweet of him. My girlfriend and I have discussed making rings for each other when I visit her next in Taiwan, which I do like the idea of. We both already carry a Japanese love charm that we bought from a shrine in Kyoto that is meant to strengthen our love over time.

Funny(-ish) side story is that my girlfriend was in the V&A museum, London, when this old Italian guy started talking to her and her friend. When she said she had a boyfriend he said that you can't trust men (as he claimed to be a former playboy) and that before she left the UK she needed to make sure I had a ring to wear as a promise to be together and to stop myself being 'led astray'. She did try to defend me but liked the idea of the ring too haha.

Comment

What a beautiful gesture!

I don't have a promise ring, but I wouldn't mind one at all - even being as "old" as I am (I get the feeling most people think of promise rings as a thing for teenagers only). I'm always good with gifts of shiny!! Especially being in a LDR, it's nice to have that little visual reminder of the commitment and love you have for each other.

I've thought about buying myself one actually, but I'm not sure if that is weird?? I will talk about it with my guy, and if he is weirded out or insulted somehow, I won't do it. We've already talked about what kind of engagement ring we both want for me, but I know it wouldn't happen for a while, so it would be sweet to have a "placeholder" for that future ring.

...ok basically I will use any opportunity to justify buying myself jewelry DON'T JUDGE ME

Comment

Originally posted by ChloChlo View Post
              What a beautiful gesture!

I don't have a promise ring, but I wouldn't mind one at all - even being as "old" as I am (I get the feeling most people think of promise rings as a thing for teenagers only). I'm always good with gifts of shiny!! Especially being in a LDR, it's nice to have that little visual reminder of the commitment and love you have for each other.

I've thought about buying myself one actually, but I'm not sure if that is weird?? I will talk about it with my guy, and if he is weirded out or insulted somehow, I won't do it. We've already talked about what kind of engagement ring we both want for me, but I know it wouldn't happen for a while, so it would be sweet to have a "placeholder" for that future ring.

...ok basically I will use any opportunity to justify buying myself jewelry DON'T JUDGE ME
              This whole reply made me laugh out loud, especially the last bit haha. Honestly I think it's a bit silly promise rings are seen as suck a teenager-ish thing to do. It seems as soon as you get older if your partner buys you a ring it has to mean they want to marry you straight away and I think that's just a totally ridiculous notion tbh. My dad bought my mum a promise ring as they didn't really want to get married and that was just the perfect thing for them because they were happy with the idea of something that symbolized they wanted to stay together forever.

Bottom line tho Chlo, hell yeah go out and buy yourself a nice ring lol ;P
              my girls <3

Josie (SO)

Ash

Comment

That's a really sweet gesture from your SO.

Comment

Omg its so good to have a boy frind like this

Comment

I got a promise ring from my SO for Christmas in 2014 - it's silver and has a heart shape in the centre made of emerald (my birth stone). I absolutely love it! I also gave him one back He's also bought me a necklace for our 3 year anniversary which has pictures of us together inside <3

Comment

Originally posted by kittyxuchiha11 View Post
                      My SO does a lot of clearing for her job so she doesn't really like rings and isn't a very girl person in general so even though i love the thought of a promise ring i doubt if i gave her one she'd ever really get to wear it. But for christmas i sent her an infinity necklace which looks really cute with the infinity sign on it, and the best bit is i have the same one so we match :3
                      Because i now have a picture of us both wearing our necklaces, here's a cute picture I made :3
                      my girls <3

Josie (SO)

Ash

Comment

During our meetup last April he bought me a promise ring while we were in the mall. Sadly, it turned my finger green but I cherish my little sparkly nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by MollyLovesBowie View Post
                          During our meetup last April he bought me a promise ring while we were in the mall. Sadly, it turned my finger green but I cherish my little sparkly nonetheless.
                          Hi There.. its hard to read your color..

Comment

Just found this post again and thought i'd say that we did indeed get promise rings during my visit to her, she was actually the one to suggest it i was totally amazed.
                            keeping with the infinity theme of jewellery :3
                            my girls <3

Josie (SO)

Ash

Comment

Aww. that's so cute !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X