I decided to write a simple game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to write a simple game

My SO's birthday is in ~2 months. It might be a bit early to think about this, but considering it's during a school time, not so much.
    So, I came up with either the best or the worst idea for a gift and I felt like sharing. It might be useful for someone else too in the future.

I am a computer sciences major, I don't know things well enough yet but I think I can write simple games, especially with the help of some friends and internet. On top of that, I am definitely capable of its visualisation. I came up with the theme where we are represented by two characters (not sure if it should be played together but with different abilities for each which you get to choose or separately) running into obstacles (that will be somehow associated with our relationship obstacles, either serious or silly). I haven't come up with the type yet, a platform game would be ideal but I don't know how managable it'd be. My friend has written a platform game on one contest so I might just ask him too. Another idea I have is writing some sort of labyrinth in game thing.

It's a win-win situation too, overall. Before this I had an idea of writing a comic with the same theme but eh, I know that it'll be basically impossible to do it during the semester. While I will be able to focus on this a bit better because it will be a part of the subject I'll have the next semester (object oriented programming and further knowledge of Java). I am afraid it might lose specialty and association with my SO as much if I look at it as a "work" and a "subject", but I don't think I will, since I find it exciting to use my field somehow in making a present for him and to just work on something personal with it. It'll be just convenient for the next semester and for me too.

So, anyway, this idea might be useful for those of you with programming background. I went "why didn't I think of this before" way when I came up with it suddenly the other day

Unique that's for sure. I hope he likes it.

Comment

wow sounds really interesting I'd love it if my bf did something like this for me

Comment

I'm a programmer....not really as simple as you think... Keeping it less may be better for you.

Comment

Originally posted by sasad View Post
          I'm a programmer....not really as simple as you think... Keeping it less may be better for you.
          Oh, simple refers to the game itself being simple rather than the writing process. I'll try to start it as soon as possible, though.

Comment

Originally posted by C.C. View Post
            Oh, simple refers to the game itself being simple rather than the writing process. I'll try to start it as soon as possible, though.
            yep.. stick to your plan... otherwise you add just one more thing, then BAM!! haha You got something you don't want to stop

Comment

For my ex I made a simple game and he loved it! Good luck!!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
              Married: 1/24/2015
              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
              X