Our claddagh rings <3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our claddagh rings <3

I live in Ireland and when my boyfriend came to visit me for my birthday, he and I decided to exchange claddagh rings for my birthday present/his late Valentine's day present. It's cool because claddaghs are really popular over here, they're steeped in Irish history and I actually live in the town they originate from! They represent friendship, loyalty and love. And you can tell if someone's in a relationship or single depending on the way they wear it! (If the bottom of the heart points inwards towards your body, it means you're taken.) Anyway, I'd been really wanting one but it's bad luck to buy one for yourself and people take that kind of superstition really seriously. So we went out and got them for each other!

His is the plain silver one. Mine has the green stone- it's actually connemara marble, which you can only get from the county I live in here!

Anyway, we're wearing them now as promise rings, the promise that we'll stay faithful to each other the whole time I'm away <3 and I thought I'd share!

Very pretty! My mom has one, and I want one. =]

Comment

Thats what my boyfriend got me for Valentines day...just pure silver though...I love it!
      " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
      Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

I LOVE Claddagh rings! I didnt realise it was bad luck to buy them for yourself....maybe my mum bought mine, I forget! (I had them for ages, kept losing them and losing track)

Thats really cool that your from the town the originate from!
        Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

I'm not actually from here and I had never heard the bad luck thing until I came here! I guess it might be a local thing but it got kind of drilled into my head when I first got here that I couldn't buy my own, haha.

Comment

They look lovely

I've had a Claddagh ring since I was about 9ish. My aunt bought me my first one, then my dad got me my second I think..?? Then my aunt got me my third which is the one I have now. My Dad also got me a Claddagh necklace when he was in Ireland in 2009. They've always been a big thing in our family. My Dad is from England but his parents are both Irish. I love being able to wear my Claddagh ring with the heart pointing inwards now I am in a serious relationship. When I was in Germany over Christmas to visit my SO we saw a stall with several Claddagh rings at the Christmas Market, and I contemplated buying once for my SO, but they weren't the best ones so I didn't.

Oh and btw off topic I really love your avatar and signature quote. I am a serious die-hard Doctor Who fan. Something my SO will never understand
            Last edited by BoogleBee; March 4, 2011, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Aww that's so cute.. I never heard of the Claddagh rings 'till now, sound very interesting

I'm not telling you it's going to be easy.
              I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Comment

My SO bought be one for Valentine's Day this year Mine is very similar to your SO's- I LOVE it! We went to Dublin for a few day of Christmas this year, I look at my ring and it reminds me of the beautiful time we had there

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have a couple Claddagh rings the one I wear now has my boyfriend Mark's birthstone in it and I also have a matching necklace that i wear. I got them right after we started dating and i've been wearing them since. My other one has my grandpa's birthstone in it and thats the one I wore before I met my boyfriend. I've thought about getting Mark one with my birthstone so that he can think about me everytime he looks at it like I do when I look at mine, but I just havent bought it yet.

Comment

awww They are lovely
                    "taim i ngrá leat mo anam chara <3"

Kitten: -laces fingers together- our souls are one <3
                    Keith: -blushes and gazes at lovingly- forever and always <3

Comment

Finally more people from Ireland! I have a Claddagh ring too. But mine was my mam's. I think it's the one my dad got for her when they were teenagers. You know they do wedding rings of them..? They're gorgeous. https://www.allcladdagh.com/clad_engagement.htm

Your rings are beautiful btw.. =]
                      Although this distance breaks my heart,
                      And it's unbearable when we're apart,
                      I know that it will all be fine,
                      As my heart is yours,
                      And yours is mine.. <3

Comment

Originally posted by BoogleBee View Post
                        Oh and btw off topic I really love your avatar and signature quote. I am a serious die-hard Doctor Who fan. Something my SO will never understand
                        Oh my goodness yes! hehe. I totally got Gabriel into the Doctor and now he's as obsessed as me. We have costumes as the Eleventh Doctor and Amy (: (:

Comment

Emma-Louise, where are you from in Ireland??
                          I'm not actually Irish, I'm just going to school in Galway.

Comment

Those rings are beautiful! =]

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Beautiful rings, I really like claddagh rings, maybe one day I'll get one but at the moment I much rather my guy spend his money on coming over and visiting me.
                              Money Savers a LFAD group for people to share money saving ideas, tips, links, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X