A thousand paper cranes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thousand paper cranes

I was reading a life improvement blog, which had a list of 101 things to do before you die. And then I got to this one:

Fold a 1,000 origami cranes and give them to someone special.

And thought, wouldn't it be cool if I could finish these this summer, and sent them to my SO in time for his birthday in October? As a kind of symbolic "I can't be there, so my cranes wish you happy birthday", as well as representing my birthday wish(mine's in August), which would be "all I wish for is you". (The 1000 cranes represent one wish come true).

Read more on this on wiki if you're interested in doing a set. I tried in 6th grade, with no particular motivation, but I think I will make it this time, since I actually have a wish.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_origami_cranes

awwww im actually making a bunch of mini-stars and in plenty of them i've written a wish or a memory in regards to my SO and hope to give it to him as a gift for our 6months-versary XD i think half a year is a milestone for a LDR. But now you've gave me a great idea! 1,000 cranes ^-^ cant wait to strt.

Comment

My SO did this for our 1 year anniversary- in each one he wrote a reason why he loved me I cried, he spent AGES on them It's a really great idea!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
      <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
      The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
      <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
      <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
      Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
      Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

OMG such a good idea! Why didn't I think of that? :/ :P

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
        -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
        \

Comment

I love origami. I've heard about this before and kind of tried doing it. I didn't have much time to do a thousand, so I was only able to do 50. :P

Great idea though. ^^
          "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue,
          a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them
          which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky."
          - Rainer Maria Rilke

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,
          regardless of time, place, or circumstance.
          The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."
          - an ancient Chinese belief

Comment

I remember reading a book about a little girl in Japan who had cancer and tried to make 1,000 paper cranes so she could make a wish. Sadly, she didn't make it. I think this would be something really cool to try if you're good at origami. Unfortunately, I'm not so I probably won't be doing this. Good luck to everyone who tries!
            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
            Made it official: September 17, 2010
            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
            Got married: November 21, 2012
            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

This is a really sweet idea but I haven't the slightest idea what my SO would do with the cranes :-p I'm sure he would appreciate the gesture but then he would begin to wonder what he is supposed to do with them. I hope your SO likes it

Comment

Originally posted by TknandLvnIt View Post
                This is a really sweet idea but I haven't the slightest idea what my SO would do with the cranes :-p I'm sure he would appreciate the gesture but then he would begin to wonder what he is supposed to do with them. I hope your SO likes it
                Hehe, yea, I suppose it's a very culturally specific thing. My SO's Chinese like me, so he would understand what I'm trying to say, definitely.

Comment

Cool! Thank you for the nice idea!
                  I actually folded stars in a bottle and gave my SO as my first valentine's present. Now I will fold a thousand paper cranes for his birthday. Thanks!

Btw. here's a picture of stars that I folded for my SO

Comment

Working...
                  X