Presents for His Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presents for His Parents

No, this is not another thread of someone's parents not approving of the relationship. In fact my boyfriend's parents approve of me very much and tell me how much they love me and enjoy having me around all of the time.
    The point is that lately they've been having me around a lot (5 weeks in March/April, two weeks now, another week in June,...) and I'd like to somehow express my gratitude for their hospitality.
    I've considered offering to pay for my stays here, but I already know they're not going to accept that and probably even feel offended. So that's not an option.
    It wouldn't feel that bad about it, if he spent the same amount of time at my place but he doesn't and even when he's visiting we usually share what we spend on food because I'm living on my own and spending double on groceries even for a week is quite a big expense for me.

I know they don't expect anything but I don't like showing up with empty hands.
    I usually bring something small for them, every time I visit, even if it's only for a weekend. Things like chocolate that they can't get over here, beer (hey, I am from Germany after all!), little things for their apartment...
    But now after a year and a half my creativity has reached its limits.
    I don't really know what I'm looking for right now, so just post any ideas you have for presents. Anything really. Even if I'm not going to get it, it might give me ideas.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

I also would have suggested chocolate (I brought a box of pralines) or maybe a nice bottle of wine.

Comment

Maybe instead of offering to pay for staying there, you offer to take them all out to dinner one evening as a treat?
      Do they have any specific interests? Are they wine enthusiasts? Golfers? Nature lovers? If they have some sort of hobby, then perhaps you could find something in that genre to get them as a gift.

Comment

I would suggest the dinner idea as well, and if that might get a little too costly - then try doing a gift certificate for simply his parents at a restaurant.

Comment

I know this is going to sound stupid and I probably should have included it in the original post, but I didn't want to make it even longer.
          I've considered the restaurant thing, for his mum, my boyfriend and me (his parents are only semi-officially still together, but that's another story). I asked my boyfriend about it, and he agreed that it's generally a good idea... BUT: his mum is a picky eater, a really picky eater. She doesn't eat out if she can avoid it. We've both concluded that it probably wouldn't be a very enjoyable experience, so I disregarded that idea.

I bought a spring-form pan the last time I was here and I've been making cake for them and I cook for them a lot
          I'd also do more around the house, since I'm the one with the most free time when I'm visiting. But I'd feel intruding doing laundry or even cleaning the bathroom.

His dad is sort of an outdoorsy type and he spends most of his time at a weekend house he has recently built himself :-/

Comment

Hi! I have the same 'problem". I am at my boyfriend's and his familys house quite a lote (4 weeks in January and 4 weeks in April) and I always felt so bad about it, specially cause they don't even let me pay for food. So basicly I do things like you do. Cooking, baking etc and they are really glad about it. I also do the housework after my boyfriend (like laundry and cleaning his room) and wash the dishes, take the dogs for a walk or clean the pool (these are not too intimate stuff like doing the laundry after the other people in the house or etc.) I also usually bring some presents (I'm Hungarian so I brought tipical national stuff like Wine, Spices, Cook Book for my boyfriend's mom, folk art etc.) I also made some presents for them. I know how you feel about this situation but there's just no other way to do it.:/ I guess just like my bf's paretns they wouldn't be happy if you would get some more valuable stuff for them (my bf's dad freaked out when I got them a more expensive present) This is all that I can say, I don't think so that it helped a lot, but I have the same problems too)) Don't feel so bad about it anyway. They are love you and thankful for you cause you make their boy so happy!

Comment

You're right and I know they actually like me being around. It's not I'm constantly feeling guilty or indebted either, but I just thought I'd ask for ideas.
              Especially since there's so many age groups on here, I hoped for a brilliant idea from someone and am still hoping

I'm considering getting his mum a massage gift coupon. There's a swimming pool/water park not far from their house that offers that and they're between € 20-30 so that's really affordable. They don't have anything about gift coupons on their website (they don't seem to be too popular in PL), but I'm going to ask about then when I go there tomorrow.

Comment

One of the things that I got for my bf's mom was a Satin Hands set from Mary Kay. It's like a spa set that makes your hands really smooth, and I absolutely love it. Maybe you could do something like that? I know they have Mary Kay in other countries so try googling it for your country.The website should be able to set you up with a consultant right away.
                "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                Made it official: September 17, 2010
                Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                Got married: November 21, 2012
                Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Working...
                X