Promise Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promise Rings

I'm not too sure if this is in the right section, but whatever. I had a conversation with my dad's wife that she brought up in front of my boyfriend yesterday...we discussed promise rings. She originally thought it was a precursor to an engagement ring. I don't think that's always the case. I always thought they were open to interpretation and could mean whatever you want them to mean. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on them. What does a promise ring mean to you? Is it symbolic of a future engagement or what would you make your promise ring signify?

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

For me, when I think of a Promise Ring, it means devotion, commitment, trust. And of course it holds a promise of future together, too

Comment

I think of it like a pre-engagement ring. I'm not really big on them personally
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

As far as I was aware they were a promise to get married, which seems to just defeat the purpose of an engagement ring.

Comment

I agree with Lina. Promise rings to me would mean that we intend to be completely faithful to each other as long as we are together, that we are truly committed to one another as long as we are in this relationship.
          But like the original OP stated, the meaning behind promise rings really does depend on the couple. Some may find that yes, this is the step towards an engagement rings, others may not feel the same way, but I think if you're looking to get promise rings, then you might consider discussing what kind of meaning they hold to you and your SO so no one is left with the wrong idea
          You never forget your first love...

Comment

It's really up to you what kind of promise your ring signifies to you. Hell, it could be a promise not to eat french fries, if that is what you want to promise each other.

I had never actually heard of promise rings, before I came on here. But my boyfriend gave me a ring for our anniversary last year and he said it was a "pre-engagement" ring, which is probably what promise rings usually are. I don't view it as a promise to propose though. It's a very pretty ring that always reminds me that my boyfriend loves me and is thinking of me

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
              As far as I was aware they were a promise to get married, which seems to just defeat the purpose of an engagement ring.
              Well, it doesn't defeat the purpose if you're young right? If you're too young to legally marry there's not point in being engaged (I know some people do it anyway They just want to be engaged, they are not planning a wedding.) so a promise ring is nice.
              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I got my boyfriend a promise ring so that it could signify the promises that our relationship is based on. Promises such as to be faithful, to be there for him, to not let distance affect our feelings. I also got him a ring so he could always have something i gave him with him.
                When my granny passed away, my grandpa gave me her wedding ring, and ever since then i've always worn it so i could have something of hers with me, and it helped when i'd start missing her.
                I think that a promise ring shows some kind of commitment, but not necessarily it must be a promise to get married, it's just a small symbol of love.

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

Promise Rings, to me it would probably say that 'Im yours'? I dont know, my SO doesnt like te idea of them all together :\
                  He thinks theyre childish. :|

Comment

I believe that a promise ring can signify whatever you want it to, the whole idea is that your SO makes a promise when he/she gives it to you. That promise could very well be engagement down the line but it could also be a promise for abstinence, to be caring, to be loyal, etc.

Comment

my LDR bf gave me a promise ring the day before I left. he said it was a symbol of his commitment to me. I guess you can consider us pre-engaged?

Comment

Thats so sweet! I want one! haha Congrats!

Comment

My boyfriend's Pictish (ancient Scotish...think Braveheart) so there's a tradition where you give the girl you indend to marry a ring and necklace set. The ring is to be worn at all times on the left pointer finger and the girl is supposed to make up a schedule for the necklace.

My boyfriend gave me the set he had, which he bought years before he even met me, very close to when we first got together. I didn't start wearing the ring until we had been together for a few more months. I don't wear it on the right finger because it doesn't fit and we don't have the money to size it, so the ring floats back and forth between my right and left ring fingers--right if we're together and/or I'm around family, left if we're apart.

So for us I guess the "promise ring" is a bit more serious than what it is now and most definitely was a precursor to a full engagement (long story about that). I'm pretty sure though that according to tradition I'm supposed to continue wearing the ring after we're married.
                          ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
                          The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

The promise ring my SO got me was to promise that we would get engaged and married sometime in our future. For other people, a promise ring can mean other things, like promising to stay faithful to that person.

Comment

Mine was a silver Claddagh ring he gave my for Valentine's day this year.... it was a pre-engagement ring, because we were trying to figure out what size engagement ring to get me my promise ring was too big, so he knew to get the smaller size the jeweler gave me! haha

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                              <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                              The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                              <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                              <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                              Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                              Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X