Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cookbooks and other cooking things....help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cookbooks and other cooking things....help!

I searched but couldn't find anything like this. I feel like I'm always on here looking for present ideas.... I just always want to get something perfect!

My SO loves to cook. He wants to be a professional chef and once he gets the money together, he wants to go to school for that. He currently works as a cook at a bagel shop/deli.
    I was going to get my SO some football stuff for Christmas but he has expressed interest in recieving cookbooks and such for himself and his future.
    There is one problem. I can't cook! I microwave all my food or get takeout or have him cook me food. I realize this is bad but I just have no interest in cooking and even when I try, I suck unless he's helping!
    I've bought him a coffee maker and a gridle for other holidays but other than that, I'm lost.

So here's what I'm asking.

Do any of you have a favorite cookbook or cooking related item that you would suggest I get for him?

Thanks!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
    Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
    Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
    Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
    Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

I don't have a favorite cookbook, as I only use online recipes, but how about getting him an apron? You should check out Amazon's page for that. You could also buy him something kitchen-related, ideas here.

Comment

I don't have a favourite cookbook either, but I like going to the book stores and looking through them. My favourite kind are the ones with pictures, step by step shows me, or at least how the dish should look. I would suggest going in person and looking through some rather than getting it online. I have so much fun doing it too, and writing down recipes lol
      I love you Nathan <3
      sigpic
      5/25/09 <3

Comment

Does he like international foods? I recently checked out Mark Bittman's "Best Recipes in the World" from the library and have made some delicious things from it. It's also really interesting to learn about how different cultures use the same ingredients, but in such different ways (I really love food... ). Just did a search and realize he has a show by the same name. :P

Comment

joy of cooking, everyone needs a copy!

I did this for my best friend a few years ago, if you go to a book store they can show you student cook books (for people at culinary school) that would be good because he wants to go, so he could get a jump start!

good luck!

Comment

"Fresh Every Day" by Sara Foster. Or really anything by Sara Foster. The best recipes ever. Seriously. She's won tons of awards for best desserts. This cookbook has breakfasts, salads, main dishes and desserts. So yummmmy! Lots of variety, and really really great food.

This is also a yummy spicy vegetarian cookbook. And if he's into vegan cooking, check out www.theppk.com they have great cookbooks. I have Veganomicon, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and Vegan Cupcakes Invade your Cookie Jar. Allll yummy.

So there you go-- one meat/etc cookbook, one vegetarian and one vegan.

And as far as kitchen gadgets goes... here's a list of things I could think of- garlic press, immersion blender, a good knife (Wusthof or the likes), a good cast iron pan (or all-clad), a wok (round bottom), olive oil/vinegar jars, or a set of mason jars to put spices/flour/sugar in. There's not much I love more than my fantastically sharp Wusthof knife.

Comment

A really good knife is a great idea! I would also LOVE an immersion blender. Great ideas lucybelle!

Comment

Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone! I'll be able to respond more later - so many finals!

Comment

I got to look through all the suggestions and I just wanted to thank everyone for your great suggestions! I'm not sure what I'm going to get him yet but this really helped! This is why I love this place :]

Comment

Working...
                  X