Hello from Jane and Alex! (The Midwest)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Jane and Alex! (The Midwest)

(I think I posted this in the wrong place ... so double posting? Sorry about that ...)

Hey, just wanted to introduce myself (and I guess, us?).

A and I met on OKC in August of 2010. A month later, we met for the first time. My first clue that he was the one came a week before that, however. I was back in the City hanging out with a bunch of my old college friends for my 23rd birthday when I realized I had spent the past three hours of my birthday party in my friend's room talking to this stranger on the phone, instead of hanging out with the people I'd just paid 200 bucks in plane tickets and transit passes to see. I told him this from the toilet, like all romantic stories go. And he asked if I would like to meet him in real life.

A lived about 200 miles away from me, and he said he would be more than willing to drive up and meet me. So he did. Our first date was probably the worst date I've ever gone on, but I knew he was just nervous.

A month later, we were on a plane to DC to hang out with my uncle and his new baby. I always kid to A that he is quite lucky I wasn't an axe murderer out for his kidney or something. But he agrees that weekend was brilliant. Two days in DC with an almost stranger, and I was having the time of my life.

He says he knew he loved me then, when we stood on the Lincoln Memorial and he felt at home in a place he'd never been.

It would take me a little longer to warm up.

I'm a cynic, and I'd also been in past relationships. One had lasted for near to seven years, and I wasn't about to throw my heart out to someone I'd met a month or so ago. Especially someone I'd met on the internet. I'd also gotten hurt by a guy I had been with when I was in the City, and when we went LDR when I moved away, he was untrustworthy and kind of a jerko. The pain from those two experiences made me question why A was here and why he said he loved me.

On Christmas, we went out to a lake near my house. And I slid on the ice to the middle of the water. A shook on the banks, scared to die, and he said, "Are you sure this water is unsanitary? It looks questionable to me!"

Laughing, I charged further into the frozen lake. A freaked, and gave a very nervous chuckle, "J, come on. Come on, J. Jane ... JANE!"

He rushed out on the ice, "I'm too far away to save you if you break through!" he shouted, and he grabbed me in an embrace.

And I kid you not, the snow swirled. It friggin' swirled in the wind, and I was like, "God? Are you making this a Nicholas Sparks movie to make fun of me?"

Two months later, we sat on a couch and he proposed.

One week later, we had rings.

Three months later, I told him we were crazy.

Now today, I know we are nothing but teh awesome.

Sometimes good things happen, and we shouldn't worry about why they do. A is the best thing that ever happened to me, and for those of you who think that LDR's are a joke, look at us for proof they can work. When you find the right person, there aren't any "bad days" or "imperfect days." There are "awesome days." There are days where you hang with your best friend in the world and the rest of the solution just fades away. There are days where you can't hold them close enough, because you know tomorrow they'll be gone again. There are days where you touch each other's foreheads together and try to read each other's minds because you don't want anymore distance between your bodies. But most of all, there are days where you call for no apparent reason, talk for three hours, and never even realize how lucky you are to have such a person there for you.

I love Alex with all of my heart, and I believe in the power and strength of an LDR. Of course, there are things you have to commit to in order to make it work.

First, you have to trust.

Second, you have to have a life of your own to occupy you when he isn't around.

Third, you have to travel. A travels every weekend 500 miles roundtrip. I try to travel as much as I can.

Fourth, you have to keep up to date on the small things in your lives.

And fifth, you have to not label yourself as LDR. You have to see it as a true relationship that you are committed to, and you are going to see through until you can be with them longterm.

Here is to Alex. And to all of you who go through incredible odds to be with the one you love.

Welcome both of you!

Comment

Welcome to the forums guys, great to have you here

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

I like your story! Hi!

Comment

Working...
          X