Hi :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi :)

Hi all! I found LFAD through various Google searches (boy do I love Google) on tips for making a LDR work.

My boyfriend and I started dating in college (at the beginning of our last semester) and knew that we would have to do the long-distance thing for a while. I got a job about 600 miles from where we went to school in Georgia, and he stayed at home post-graduation for a few months to continue his job hunt. He moved to Georgia in August 2011 and we got to spend 4 months together until my job told me they needed me to move to Dallas, Texas. So I moved here at the beginning of January and I will be here through August or so. (Not sure where they will send me once this project is complete...) He's still searching for a full-time job in ATL, but may now have two leads on two different jobs: one back in Indiana and the other in Nashville.

No idea when he will hear from either of them, but our LDR could go on longer than we like... and for anyone who has read/heard of The Five Love Languages, our primary love language is luckily the same. Unfortunately, it's quality time.

Anywho, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Hello, and welcome to LFAD!

My story is similar to yours in that I met my SO in my senior year, and I had to do the LD thing after graduating for awhile, too. We also read "The Five Love Languages" together and one of our strongest is quality time as well. It's really tough when you want to spend time doing things together so much (especially when you're originally close distance), but LDRS are very do-able, regardless.

Hang in there, and I hope this place helps you like it's helped me.
    My heart belongs to a pilot!
    ~*~
    ~*~
    [/center]

Comment

Welcome

Comment

hey! Welcome to LFAD!
        I hope you find all the help and support you need!

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!

Comment

Thanks for the welcoming words. I've been in a LDR before, but it's different with him. I know we will be just fine, but it is hard some days. (It's especially bad during a certain week of the month...)

@Trethsparr: our QT has become our regular Skype dates. it's as good as it gets for a LDR, but it definitely helps to see his face when we're talking. (plus then i can tell if he's watching TV/playing a video game while we're talking!)

Comment

Any reason he's not looking for jobs in Texas? Or maybe he has and just isn't getting lucky?

LoveJ and I are basically just planning on being together in a new city and we're throwing everything else to the wind. (Well, not everything since we have prior responsibilities that we're still taking care of, just in a different way. She's been accepted for a university transfer to a school that is within 50 miles of where I live so she can complete her degree while we start our life together. And I'm uprooting everything that I previously knew so that we can have a fresh life together, albeit only 50 miles north of where I was before. At least it's something, right?)

Anyway, like most people in LDRs, we don't want to spend any more time than we have to living apart so we're doing something drastic to bring an end to the distance. Is that just not an option for you guys in your search for work/school or whatever?

Comment

My job here is a full time job, but a short term project. I'll only be here through August, and then my company will most likely send me some where else. I could stay in Texas though, we have an office here, or I could go to another project site in another state, or go back to the main office. (If that were the case, we would be able to close the distance.) But they don't know where they want me yet.

So he's (still) looking for a job in Georgia and there are two other places where he has contacts, one in Indiana and the other in Tennessee. If he gets something from either of those places, I'm going to go on a job hunt of my own, since my company doesn't have offices in IN or TN. (But if he goes to IN I might look into getting my masters)

Comment

Welcome to LFAD! I also found this site by searching up LDR advice on Google. I was feeling extremely lonely since I had just moved to NY for grad school and I didn't know anyone, so I was really missing my boyfriend. This site has helped me so much and I can't stay off of it. Haha! Good luck with sorting out the job situation for both you and your SO. That will be me and my SO once I graduate- we have no clue where we'll be settling down!

Comment

Working...
                  X