Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin to Long-Distance Relationships!

Hey Everyone!

My Name is Carly and I have just began to embark on this crazy long-distance relationship adventure and my story is pretty romantic if I do say so myself.

Me and my SO met when I was 14 and he was 16 and we clicked immediately, I had just finished 8th grade and had lots of girlfriends but was tormented non-stop for the whole year by the boys in my grade. (Kids these days...) I met my SO in Galveston, TX and he told me I was beautiful and was my first real kiss. For 10 years we somewhat kept in touch but I live in Canada and although I traveled down to Houston often to visit family, he would often take jobs in other states and finally ended up in Afghanistan for 3 years.

This August we met up in Houston after not seeing each other for 3 years and picked up right away like old friends. Although I had always kept a small piece of my heart for him, I was not expecting for us to get a lil tipsy one night and spill our guts on how we had never stopped thinking about one another. I decided I needed to go back and visit, booked a flight for October 22nd and stayed with him instead of family for the first time ever. We spent practically every minute together for 10 days and near the end of the trip we spent a night in the same beach house we met 10 years prior. He told me he loved me and I told him I loved him in the same place we shared our first kiss 10 years ago.

Now I'm back home and he has just booked his flight up here December 11th (cannot wait) and we talk everyday but we aren't officially "dating". He is allowed to hang out with girls and I am allowed to see guys so it is a tad complicated but I feel like for us it works best this way.
    In our situation it makes most sense for me to move there, I have family there and have spent countless summers there beginning when I was 6. I know the area and have made friends along the way. Therefore the plan is to attend the University of Houston in Sept 2013 in one of their masters programs.

I need help with a lot, I have only begun to start figuring out how to get residence down there- I know nothing of the process
    I need help keeping focused and remembering how important and worth it this is to me
    I need help keeping things fresh and ideas to keep the "romance" alive.
    So thankyou in advance to everyone that can make this process a little easier on me

- Carly
    Met: July 2002
    Said "I Love You"s: October 2012
    Hopefully closing the distance: April 2013

She said you make me better boy, I just mailed you a letter boy, and oh, so you know, I'm still in your sweater boy.

Welcome to LFAD!!

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome fellow Canuck Your story gave me the warm fuzzies!
        “The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply… meant to be.” - Grey’s Anatomy

>Little Box<

Comment

Awww this is so cute! Welcome to LFAD!
          "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

Thanks so much everyone! So far this site has been so full of support it's amazing!
            Met: July 2002
            Said "I Love You"s: October 2012
            Hopefully closing the distance: April 2013

She said you make me better boy, I just mailed you a letter boy, and oh, so you know, I'm still in your sweater boy.

Comment

welcome carlyh, your story is so adorable! I am no stranger to long distance relationships but I am afraid I am clueless about the paperwork part in your situation, but if you are going to school you might need a student visa, some universities will do the paperwork for you so you might want to ask about that.

You mentioned he was working in Afghanistan at some point, if he is a contractor or in the military I am sure you will find plenty of great ideas in the military forums because it's tricky sending letters and gifts, always remember not to share too much information though.

Keeping the romance alive is easier than you might think when 2 people love each other, it will happen naturally by staying in touch, it really depends on the personality of both of you and the dynamics of your relationship, if you guys are old fashioned a hand written letter out of the blue will probably make him very happy. My boyfriend is a contractor and currently in Afghanistan so sending gifts is tricky but I managed to find a place to deliver him a cake for his birthday for example, also one day I was bored and missing him so I used an application on my Ipod to make a collage with pictures of us and used it as my lock screen, it came up in one of our conversations and he asked if he could see it, sent him the image and he loved it, one time I watched a movie (granted it was a chickflick but I did warn him!) that made me think of us a lot so I told him he might want to check it out or if he didn't that I would be happy to tell him about it, we kind of forgot about it or so I thought, but just the other day he told me he was bored and decided to watch it, we then got all romantic talking about how lucky we are to have found each other ♥

Comment

*ATTENTION VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED*

Rated PG: parental guidance

Ok, Everybody is saying welcome but nobody is helping..

Well, first off. I'm very happy to hear you ended up with your sweetheart! First, on the residence process... I am a recently new resident of Texas. You must have an address. Next, Establish a bank and receive monthly bank statements.. why? because bank statements have your address on it and are very useful for getting your license and proving that you live in texas. Next, (maybe) try to find a job. I was brand new to texas and in two months I was working at a pizza place!! it isn't that difficult to go to school and work Next, get your vehicle registered and inspected. Then, your license comes. Everything will fall in place.. you'll be a resident... in i'd say 2-4 months I've lived in Austin for 5 months and I am a full resident here. PSSST I also registered to vote her *wink *wink. DO that too! haha.

Now, my 3 steps for successful LDR:

1. Communication. You HAVE to be able to share thoughts and illustrate your emotions with each other
                2. Quality Time/NOT Quantitive Time. what maters the most is that you do things together that is true quality not HOW MUCH you do togther... HOW IT's DONE is important. There is a list on this website 101 things to do in a LDR
                3. GOALS---- you must have goals!!! MOTIVATION AS WELL! keep each other strong and courageous

Take what i've said here.. for I have used my time to benifit you! I LOVE ALL OF YOU

- Alex J.
                Last edited by Michelle; December 4, 2012, 01:33 AM. Reason: removed offensive language

Comment

Working...
                X