Feeling Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling Lost

My boyfriend and I have just started dating a couple weeks ago. He is the Marines and currently training down in Texas which is 2,000 miles away from me. We went to high school together but never really talked. Our parents had started dating and when he came home for brief visits we would begin to connect and recently got together over Winter Break. When we said goodbye at the airport I realized how strong my feelings actually were for him and it broke my heart to watch him go. After being in Texas for two days, we made it official. Our families were very hesitant and concerned about our relationship and how it would affect our parents relationship. I have never been in this situation before and during all my previous relationships I spent the majority of my time with the person I was dating. I am finding the distance to be EXTREMELY hard to deal with. I find myself becoming obsessive and getting upset constantly. Although he is in the Military, he seems to have a lot of time on his hands during the weekend and I feel like he doesn't make the effort to give me a moment of undivided attention.

I want to make this work but I don't know how to deal with my strong emotions. I don't want to push him away but I'm not sure what else to do. I don't want to give up but on the other hand I don't know if I am actually emotionally mature enough to be in a long distance relationship. My life is also very hectic, I work three jobs and go to school full time with a 2 hour commute and I am starting to get stressed. The problem is that he works late but doesn't have to get up early so I end up staying awake, waiting for his phone call but he never is willing to wake up a little bit early to talk on my time.

I'm not sure what to do and I'm scared that he will want to end the relationship because of how I am acting.

While I can't say I've been exactly in your shoes, I've worn a similar style. I know all about the crazy girl that lives inside your head that you try so hard to keep your SO from seeing, and the fear that comes with what will happen should that inner nut job be discovered. All I can suggest from personal experience is first, find a friend you can confined to and vent your concerns with. This person doesn't have to solve the problems but honestly just having another person hear you rather than having the issues rattling around in your head. Second, be honest with him. Tell him how you feel. While he isn't expressing the relationship the way you were expecting doesn't mean he isn't in the same boat as you. I hope it works out for you.

Comment

Working...
    X