Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the UK :)

What's up!

My names Dave, I live in Bristol and my gf lives in Reading, so we're only about 90 miles apart which doesn't seem so bad compared some of you guys on here!

We met at University, I studied Film, she studied Photography. I was pretty scared of her in my first year. She was all quiet and mysterious, and any time we were in the same place was just awkward. I never thought she'd go for a guy like me. I remember the first time I properly met her. It was Halloween, she was dressed as Zombie Barbie, I was just a Sexy Zombie.. her friends gave me some extra makeup and while it was happening I remember just staring at her. I swear to god she had this aura around her.

Anyway, 2nd year came around and because of our friend groups overlapping, we ended up being housemates (in a house of 7!). We got to know each other better and I remember somehow hearing from someone that she liked me. Made sense, she was hanging around me more often, I'd find her secretly looking at me more often, it was cute. We spent more time together, I'd try to find any excuse to be in her company. I even put up with watching Anime films with her just for a little hand holding! The relationship grew and before long, it was a thing. The first time we kissed in public was amazing as somehow nobody apart from a few close friends knew what was going on. Everyone was as surprised as I was that she liked me! We decided we couldn't have sex until after Easter (we said this right after Xmas) as it might be too soon and affect the rest of the house. That decision didn't last long, it was maybe a week before we were up to all kinds of shenanigans. I couldn't keep my hands off her! We had an amazing time in 2nd year, but moved to separate houses for 3rd year (just in case!).

3rd year was a little more difficult because of friendships falling apart around us, but we still had an awesome time. She'd stay at mine for 3 or 4 days a time, sometimes longer. I loved it. We ate together, played games together, would go shopping etc etc. Uni ended in May 2012 and since then we've been apart.

It wasn't so bad at the start as neither of us had jobs! There was a bit of a lull and still is, which I put down to post-uni depression. It's hard to accept we'll never have 3 years as good as that again, surrounded by friends and good times. We try to see each other weekends, but it's difficult because of our jobs. We're both struggling to break into the industries we studied for, so she's taken up a Receptionist job in the meantime and I'm working as a Pizza Delivery dude in the night and taking on freelance work during the day. I focused my studies on Sound mainly at Uni, but due to pretty severe Tinnitus that's not a route I can follow as a career. I feel lost, I studied for 3 years and even got some great experience and credits (was the sound designer for a few iPhone games and even a Dark Knight facebook game for Pizza Hut!) and now I can't work a lot of the places I want to because I need to avoid loud noises. I've already had to quit a job I enjoyed where I worked with friends because of the tinnitus. I'm trying to move more into a web/UI design area as that's something that really interests me. I'd been working on that during my day until this freelance work came up, but now that's on the back burner.

Her work is 5 days a week which is fine, but mine is 6 days a week, with only mondays off. This makes seeing each other really difficult. I've begged my boss to hire one more driver to ease the load and allow me just one weekend off every other week, even if it was just saturdays off. This weekend I went to visit her as I'd not seen her in about 3 weeks. I felt fine with the relationship, but I knew something was up as she wasn't her normal self when we'd been texting in the week. I'd planned a nice weekend, we were going to go to Legoland as she'd wanted to for a while, then I was going to give her a chill evening with oily massages and candles and all that. I didn't even get a smile when I arrived. She was clearly avoiding physical contact and said she felt angry (not at me) and wasn't in the mood to be close. The whole weekend there was this awkwardness between us, like we didn't know each other. This happened to me in a past relationship where we didn't talk at all over Xmas break, and when we met again after it was just weird and we ended up breaking up soon after. I wasn't going to let that happen again. I tried hugs, kisses, handholding. She just wasn't responding. By Sunday I'd had enough and was going to go home early when she asked if I was okay. We talked about the situation, she said she feels weird about us not talking all week and can't just 'turn the relationship on' when we're together. I understood that, but told her I still felt like she wasn't even trying to make things better this weekend. She made me feel unwanted, unloved and unappreciated, and it really hurt as it kinda came out of nowhere. This has never happened before. The last time we saw each other before this was great, she was clearly excited to see me as she just sat on me and fell asleep, not letting me move and we had a nice weekend.

We said we needed to talk more often, and not just through text. I said I was going to try and get more time off. I suggested that maybe we needed to look into moving together sooner rather than later. I'd said 27/28 was a good age before, and she told me that that scared her but she just suppressed those feelings. (We're 22 and 23 at the moment..I'm her toyboy ). I feel really frustrated now (mentally and sexually, we havn't had sex in like 2 months now, our sex life used to be amazing..), and down about the relationship. Has she had enough of me? She told me she still loves me, but she didn't even seem that upset when I was blubbering like a little girl. Is there someone else? Have I done something wrong?

So I came here to find likeminded people and try get some advice! I love this girl to bits. Somehow she loves me, despite me being really weird, annoying and sometimes gross. She puts up with my quirks and she accepts things about me I know other girls just wouldn't. I never want to lose her. I told her at Uni I was going to marry her one day and have her kids. I feel so strongly about her, she's SO special to me! I'm determined not to lose her.

Anyway, that's our story! She doesn't know I've posted here, not sure I'll tell her at the moment. It's nice to be part of the community and meet you guys!

She's just missing your attention. I go though that too when me and my SO don't get to talk much because of our busy schedule. I start feeling like we're strangers and that's the same she might be going through. But you have to be really patient with this phase of hers. She's insecure about the relationship. Maybe she doesn't feel as close to you as before to be intimate with you.

During the week instead of texts, try calls. Whether short. Me and him are doing the same 'cause we're going through the same thing. We find no time at all either but we're determined to make it work. Send her pictures during the weeks of you working, or when you're alone, tell her you miss her in the pictures. Ask her to do the same, tell her you miss her face every night in bed and ask for pictures.

Good night calls are a bonus. Turst me. They're working great for us. No matter what happens we always find the time and moment to whisper good night and I love yous to each other on calls. It feels a lot better than texts and in the morning when we wake up, we feel close before beginning our busy days.

It gets really lonely, speaking as a girl. Seeing our friends with their boyfriends and when me and him can't even talk it's really painful. She might be going through the same. Don't let her feel you won't be there for her when she needs you. She might start hiding and keeping from you (we girls do that). Give her virtual kisses, tell her about your day, include moments you missed her (everyday!) and she'll come back to you. Because from your story it seems the feelings are mutual, you're just going through a rough patch.

Remind her you're not gonna give up on her no matter what happens. Win her trust again, let her know the distance and the schedule doesn't matter when she's always on your mind. In a week or two she's gonna be all over you again :3

Have patience! <3
    All relationships go through shit.
    Real relationships get through shit.

Comment

It's great to hear a girls view on this, thank you! Definitely sounds about right. I'll do my best to make sure she knows she's loved and missed!

Comment

daveypixel

Comment

I did read your post.. But I just wanted to say Welcome to LFAD! I see you're already getting down to business with this post, it's long!

HisRaven gave you some advice though.. and I don't really have anything to add except saying hi!
          Met Online: February 2009
          Feelings grew: January 2011
          First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
          Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
          Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
          Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
          Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
          Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
          Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
          Engaged: 1st of July 2012
          Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
          Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
          Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
          Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
          Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
          Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

good luck!
            All relationships go through shit.
            Real relationships get through shit.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Things are going a little better this week. We talk every lunchtime now and text more during the day. It still feels a bit off though, like we are forcing something. I wrote her a deep letter and it'll arrive tomorrow, she's quite excited for it and hopefully it should sort some of the issues out. I tried to get this weekend off work but couldn't, so she's coming to see me instead.

I'll see how she respons to the letter tomorrow, but I plan to be very forward and open this weekend. I've already got a list of questions down that I want to ask to try and solve some issues. Stuff like 'Do you feel scared to lose me?' 'How long have you been suppressing this feeling?' 'Does the fact that your best friend is moving in with her bf soon have anything to do with this?'. Aah!

Comment

Working...
              X